OHV Riders Rights and also Politics This forum is for political and open discussions only. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum stays in this forum.

Gilbert West Verginia VS New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gilbert West Verginia VS New Orleans

I spent last week riding Hatfield McCoy Trails and made an interesting observation. We stayed at Browning Fork Trailhouse just outside of Gilbert. As you may know, Gilbert, and other towns in the area suffered devistating floods last May. It's only been four months, and most things are back to normal. Cleaned up, repaired, and liveable. In talking with some of the business owners there, they said that there was a FEMA man in town, but most people didn't pay much attention to him. They just went to work cleaning, repairing, and getting their lives back in order. Four YEARS in New Orleans, and people are still complaining that the "Government" isn't doing enough for them. I know that there is a big differance in a major hurricain, and a flash flood, but I also know there is a big differance in sitting on your butt and waiting for the government, and getting off your butt to do what you know is needed for you, your family, and your neighbors. I think the differance may be a work ethic that has been learned from generations of hard work and self reliance in the coal mines of West Virginia. Just my openion.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Pro Rider

I couldn't agree with you more Oldman800! When all you've done in your life is wait for the welfare check and make a weekly trip to the local food bank, it's probably hard to see the benefits that come from neighbor helping neighbor and pooling your resources to get the job done without government help and red tape.
That being said, there is a time and place where the govt. could and should be involved such as when public sanitation issues and infrastructure problems arise, as well as emergency assistance for food, water and shelter in some cases. When it comes down to rebuilding, private insurance, community support centers as well as local and state govt. agency's could and should be there to help organize and ensure proper building codes are being used. Most of all, people should help one another to rebuild and not wait for the big check from the government or someone else to give them a handout. Pull together, pitch in and work!

Rebuilding on a known floodplain or slide area IMO is a total waste of time, effort and resources. These areas should be cleaned up and left alone or used for agriculture or wildlife/recreation areas. (Just think of the riding areas that would or could be opened up!)
Too many lives are lost when people refuse to relocate out of these area's and then get hit again by natural disasters.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Oldman800
I spent last week riding Hatfield McCoy Trails and made an interesting observation. We stayed at Browning Fork Trailhouse just outside of Gilbert. As you may know, Gilbert, and other towns in the area suffered devistating floods last May. It's only been four months, and most things are back to normal. Cleaned up, repaired, and liveable. In talking with some of the business owners there, they said that there was a FEMA man in town, but most people didn't pay much attention to him. They just went to work cleaning, repairing, and getting their lives back in order. Four YEARS in New Orleans, and people are still complaining that the "Government" isn't doing enough for them. I know that there is a big differance in a major hurricain, and a flash flood, but I also know there is a big differance in sitting on your butt and waiting for the government, and getting off your butt to do what you know is needed for you, your family, and your neighbors. I think the differance may be a work ethic that has been learned from generations of hard work and self reliance in the coal mines of West Virginia. Just my openion.
My mom & dad lives between Gilbert and Taylorville WV on Route 52..My parents home is two-story with a 3-car-garage underneath.. The creek in front of their home is called "pigeon creek," and it's not a large creek.. When the flash-flood happened the water liked about 1-1/2ft. getting to the top of the garage doors.

I couldn't believe it, and the 18 years that I lived in Mingo County I had never seen the water that high, and my parents had never seen the creek get that high.. The creek had only been in the yard before, but not close to the house.

My parents didn't have flood insurance because the creek is small, and there isn't a river close to them... I know a lot of people in Mingo County from Gilbert to Williamson WV.. After the flood I loaded my tractor up and hauled it to my dads to help with the cleanup.. After we got all the sand and mud cleaned out in the garage, I took my trailer and we went and bought 3 new garage doors.. We cleaned up the garage, yard and had the new doors put back up in 3-days.

After I got done at my parents home.. I then started helping out the neighbors with my tractor. I helped a lot of people and I used my vacation days that I had.. I worked in the area for "2-weeks" from Gilbert to Taylorville.. And I never charged anyone for my labor.

When I lived in Mingo county growing up. I went to Williamson High school for one year, and then went to Gilbert for two years to play football.. After I got out of high school I started working in the coalmines in Gilbert. I worked 7-years underground, and then the mines closed down.. In 1992 I started driving a truck for a local trucking company, and then decided after 1 year to start driving for a company in Iowa, and I drive in 21 states now.

Behind my parents home on top of the mountain is the Hatfield & McCoy trail.. When I have the time I round up all my friends, and we ride on the trails, and always ride to my Mothers for a great Sunday dinner after a good ride, and mom doesn't care if we come in her home with a little mud on us.

I may live in Kentucky now.. But I'm proud to say that us West Virginia coalminers try to take care of each other, and we will help others.. Mingo County has always been that way!!!.. and doesn't like to wait around for the Government to get in town.

-B