how would a nationwide sound ceiling affect the high performance/pipe industry?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003 | 02:39 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default how would a nationwide sound ceiling affect the high performance/pipe industry?

Would relegating loud machines to the race track have any effect on the operation of reasonably 'fast' (modified) machines used by the general public and are most of the really hot (modified stock) machines that we build today; able to stay within or around the 96-98 decible limit? Should they?

I ask this because; though I feel the impending 2-stroke regulation is ridiculous.............I'm beginning to wonder if technology hasn't enabled us to go pretty fast and have a lot of fun without upsetting everyone in a 5 mile radius as the motorcycles are seemingly getting away.

Is the atv community just as divided over 'sound' as they seem to be on general safety requirements or better enforcing the laws that we already have? More importantly, how does this affect our ability to effectively organize in regards to either one of these issues?

'Sound' is quite similiar to 'helmets' in my estimation.....................if we don't start coming to some kind of consensus on 'the basics'..................we've got a long way to go on some of the other issues that we complain about. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2003 | 02:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default how would a nationwide sound ceiling affect the high performance/pipe industry?

A motor if built for a restrictive pipe and a pipe built for that type of motor can usually be made to perform almost the same.

Old 06-03-2003 | 09:17 AM
|
Pro Rider

(DaBeech)Thanks for the reply..................I was under the impression that most aftermarket pipes were at the very least louder than stock and more often than not, exceeded reasonably accepted sound limits. Am I wrong on this? The last pipe 'shootout' I read up on could only name a few models that kept the sound level down.

John

Old 06-03-2003 | 05:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Gotta agree, there are resonant deadening kits on the market that drastically reduce pipe/silencer noise. But then there are still those who really don't care. Like you said with the helmets, two kids were just killed this last weekend in central Minnesota...last thing the news-caster said was neither was wearing a helmet. Stupid not only hurts, it kills.

Old 06-03-2003 | 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

I think the major effect would be that they have to include a piece of paper in the box that says
"For off-road closed circuit competition only...check local noise ordinances"
And blamo the blame lies directly on the consumer

Old 06-04-2003 | 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

I believe a national decibal level for state run places would and could be a good thing. But it needs to be enforced and the cost of that enforcment would probably be passed onto the rider. But do we grandfather in all those that have loud pipes now or make them buy new to ride there. I think this last part would be hard to sell.

The pipe manufacturers could do it as you said a few do. The increase in noise not only comes from the decrease in restriction but the decrease in weight (over stock) via thinner walled head pipes and megaphones. With wall thicknesses similar to stock and some creative flow patterns I believe a 98 dec. limit could be achieved with minimal loss in power over one that is in the 100+ dec. range. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-04-2003 | 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

California has started passing out info on the sound law that came into effect on Jan 1 of this year. It's going to be tough for someone like me that has had my setup for a few years now and I really don't want to change anything on my quad because of this law. I know some machines are just so loud that it will even **** me off however my Banshee is probably over the limit by maybe 3-5 dbA. It's over the limit and I don't want it to be but where I ride and how I ride would make it seem like it would pass the test. I really only open my bike up when I am away from camps.... I don't ride near houses or wild animals (by the way I love animals... their delicious). I'm tempted to sell my current pipes and silencers for a set of Toomey's with a hush kit. This puts a strain on my expendatures and makes me mad because I want to do the "right" thing even though what I have works perfectly fine and made me happy when I purchased it. Oh well things only go down hill from here.

ps I have only heard a few offending 2 strokes. I have heard too many 4 strokes with loud pipes where the sound carries farther and offend more people.

Old 06-15-2003 | 12:19 AM
Range Rover

i just got hassled for this about a week ago, but it wasnt for over decible. the guy was giving me crap that it didn't have a spark arrestor in it, well it did and its even forestry approved. i think the pipes are alright in the right areas, just in the sensitive areas keep it down and there shouldn't be a problem. i kind of look at it this way, with all the other noise out there, why not.