Thinking about chest protector...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about chest protector...

Anyone have advice when shopping for one? How do you size them....kinda like a jersey or jacket?

I've been looking at this one since it can be worn under a jersey....

I'm not into racing but I'm not into getting hurt either....but I want to get something that is going to help me and not hinder my movement.

I also like these for my knees.....

Am I being too paranoid for trail riding? Getting old makes it hard to recuperate.....

Old 07-05-2003, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Most chest protectors only come in a youth size or an adult size, although I have seen a few that have an XL Adult size. I would think you would have to be a pretty big guy to need one of those. They are completely adjustable so its kinda one size fits most.

The scattershield that you were lookin is are pretty good, but most guys wear that one on the outside of their jerseys. The bicep pads are removeable on that model.

I personally wear the Thor Force protector, its very comfortable, easy top adjust and has a raised spine protector on the back. Its only $20 bucks more than the scattershield.

One other thing...I personally prefer the protectors that you wear on the outside of your jersey because when its about 90 degrees out and you stop from riding to take a break you can take protector off alot easier and trust me when its really hot out and your not moving you won't want to be wearing one because they don't let much air through them.

Old 07-06-2003, 12:05 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

wish i had bought a chest protector before my last encounter with the handlebars. 2 broke ribs. geuss i shoulds wore my kevlar vestvest[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2003, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

besides the obvious, what exactly do these things do? I mean, they are just plastic right? How do they keep you from breaking your chest?

Old 07-06-2003, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

They prrotect you by speading the blow over a much larger, padded area...if a stick hits you between the ribs, that's exactly where it hit and where it hurts....if it hits a chest protector the force gets dispersed across the area of the protector.....

Old 07-10-2003, 03:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Plus, when your friends get in front of you and decide to kick up some dirt, they reduce the impact of the rocks that are being thrown at you... yes... the good ole roost!!!
Rock, I have an Answer Edge chest protector. I got it in the adult XL size and love it. But, I am a pretty big guy at 230lbs. Myself and my friend that rides a DS both wear the chest protectors. Out dirtbike buddies don't. However, they are the ones that wack away with the bruised ribs from the tree branches and their handle bars. My chest protector has saved me from a lot of tree branches and roosts. In fact, when it is hot outside, I will sometimes ride without a jersey, but NEVER without a chest protector. The knee quards aren't needed, especially with the scrambler having full fenders and floorboards. I have never run into a situation where my knees would get hurt. I would be more concerned about getting a good pair of riding pants though.

Old 07-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

Moose makes a nice one. Acerdis, FOX there's a bunch out there.