Toy Hauler Shopping - Advice / Oppinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy Hauler Shopping - Advice / Oppinions

We are looking into the purchase of a Toy Hauler.

We have a 1/2 ton Silverado with the 5.3L engine, and we ant it to be big enough to carry 4 quads.

Questions:

1) Would you go with a standard hitch or go with the 5th. wheel hitch??
2) What brand have you had good luck with. (web page links would be helpfull).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

GregV

P.S............ BlueLeader.........I'm not selling my Trans Am. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2003, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer

I would not go with the fifth wheel if you only have a 1/2 ton, do you want it too just haul 4 quads? or do you want it too be self contained? since you will only be pulling it with a half ton, weight would be my main concern, wells cargo makes nice enclosed for just hauling your stuff, but they are pretty heavy, I would look into a aluminum framed,smooth sided enclosed,manufacturers that come to mind are?
weekend warrior
fun runner
thor
dico
wells cargo
wildwood
haulmark
personally i like the v-nose, with the big door uo front on the V and the ramp door at the rear.
Check ebay also greg they have good deals on used ones, i would not go with anything over 21 ft with a 1/2 ton.
heres one i found for ya on a quick search (self contained)
trailer

Old 07-13-2003, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider

fifth wheels are nice and maneuverable [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

now, if you are looking for a new truck, I would suggest anything but a Chebby [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2003, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

My buddy has a 96, I think, chevy with the 5.7 vortec engine. He tows a 25' toy hauler and we have put 4 full size sport quads in it no problem. It is not real heavy, my F350 diesel tows it almost too easily.

His is a wildwood sport. It is nice and works well.

I have a desert fox 28k, it is real nice works real well, but is a heavy sucker. My v10 did not like it, so I went to the diesel.

I would probably stay in the 21'- 25' range with your vehicle. I dont know how a fifth would do behind a 1/2 ton, but I have seen a toyota towing one before.

Bat

Old 07-13-2003, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

I did not mean to make that sound like my buddy can tow that great. He hates it, as a matter of fact he usually wusses out of trips because of it. He can tow it, but it does put quite the load on his truck.

I just did not want that to sound that way.

Bat

Oh, you can see a pic of my camper on my page.

Old 07-13-2003, 05:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there done that. I had a 95 Z71 1/2 ton 350 W/3:73 gears and was in the market for a new trailer. I was looking around for a 5th wheel. I saw a 27ft Warrior 5th and based on the weight it seemed/looked like it should work. Of course the sales person assured me my truck could pull it. I didn't really factor the total weight and bought it. After I had it, added everything IE: ATV's, gas, gear, food, utinsels, BBq, clothes, water (100Gals=830Lbs) Etc. it was quite (over) loaded (heavy). The rear of the truck dropped pretty decent and the brakes seemed to be pretty strained. Overall the ride was pretty scary. It seemed as though the truck was struggling pretty hard. I put Helwig over loads (leafs) on the rear end but, it was still a handful to drive. So, I ended up selling the truck with 33K miles on it and buying a 1 ton crew cab dually. I then had no problems, but was out a bunch more money for the bigger truck. Morale of my story: factor the weight of "everything" that goes into the trailer as it's a bigger number than you can/will image. Buy a trailer that when fully loaded (in weight) your truck can safetly tow. My opinion is "always" have more truck than you need for your load so you have a safe/comfortable towing setup. My opinion is I wouldn't pull any fair/decent size trailer without at least a 3/4 ton truck.

Rude Dog

Old 07-13-2003, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider

Loadrite

Look at the enclosed snowmobile trailers. A 16'X8' all aluminum trailer is 1,200lbs or you can to a 20'. The height is lower so you can't standup and walk around but it makes it nice for towing and keeping the weight down. You can easily turn it into your sleeping quarters if you are into camping.

This model will run you about $5,000. You can get it with surge brakes or electric brakes. In either case, they are disc brakes.

I pull this trailer and 4 sport quads with a 6 cylinder 2001 Nissan Pathfinder that has 240hp. I have gone from Baltimore to Morgantown, WV and then down south past Charleston, WV to Hatfield McCoy trail system about 5 times and never had a problem getting over any of the mountains. I could push it and crest the worst mountain at 70 mph but generally take it easy and only go 50 on the worst one. For all the other mountains, I can cruise up them at 65 without any strain on the motor. Your Chevy should have no problem pulling 1,200 lb trailer plus another 1,800 lbs in quads plus 200-300 lbs of gear. The Pathfinder is rated to pull 5,000 lbs.

/Jon

Old 07-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with rudedog...the dealer will tell you your 1/2 ton truck can easily tow a trailer under 6,000lbs(on flat ground) but going uphill is a rude awakening. Weekend Warrior had a new lite model you might consider. Depending on where you're at in your truck(year, amount owed) buying a larger truck will make towing much easier and you won't be so concerned with overloading.

Warrior site

Old 07-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 21 ft. All American Sport loaded with 4 quads, about 8500 lbs loaded. My 3/4 ton Suburban with a 454 pulls it OK!, but I sure wouldn't want to try it in the mountains. I agree with Rudedog, make sure you have more truck than you need. My next will be a Ford or Dodge diesel.

Old 07-13-2003, 03:47 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

You should swap for a larger truck now, then get whatever toy hauler you want. The 1/2 ton will be too small, and you will surely put a hurting on it.

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler Shopping - Advice / Oppinions