Noise Regulations Mean That We Will Need Big HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003 | 12:23 PM
|
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default Noise Regulations Mean That We Will Need Big HP

California has a new 96dbA sound rule on public land (and don't laugh, because you know your state will be next!!). What this means is that we are going to have to ride our bikes corked up. So, we are going to need BIG HORSEPOWER machines to make up for the fact that we can't pipe our bikes. Any manufacturers out there listening?????

For example: My moded (but very loud) Z400 keeps up easily with my friends stock Raptors. But, if I have to cork up the Z, I don't have a chance!! So, if we are going to have to ride a corked up bike, we are going to have to have big horsepower RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX, without any mods that increase sound levels.

I actually think it is a good idea in areas where there are other trail users (like the National Forest). I don't thing it is necessary in the wide open desert though. Anyway, "LESS SOUND, MORE GROUND".

Old 07-28-2003 | 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

what does a factory pipe produced? Are there goign to be "noise police" running around with dB meeters?

La doesn't seem to care, had a Ram 1500 with no cats on it for 6 years. No tickets [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] (I know, apples to oranges)

Old 07-28-2003 | 12:56 PM
|
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Can't remember exactly, but most quad stock pipes are in the high 80's. Yes, the rangers will run around with meters and ticket you if you don't comply. So far though, I only know of one person that has been checked.

The new crop of 426/450 class dirt bikes won't pass even when stock!

Old 07-28-2003 | 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

Loudness doesn't always equate to more power but it does usually equate to more and more pissed off landowners and neighbors....just something to keep in mind....

Old 07-31-2003 | 08:07 AM
Pro Rider

I'm pretty impressed with the amount of people in here who are capable of giving intelligent responses to this topic without crying about the government taking away their "rights"..............

We have the only dune in the midwest @ Silver Lake and the sound checks have done wonders to keep the riff-raff out of this state park.

If you aren't willing to "voluntarily" comply with noise level laws?...............I think it says a lot about how you view life in general and those around you.

Old 07-31-2003 | 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

DR. Blackballed has spoken!!! Great. So, I guess anyone who decides to modify thier quad is considered"RIFF RAFF!" I guess they have no regard for society in general? Geez man, you truly are ****. Theres also people out there that think that people who ride ATVs are "RIFF RAFF," and have no regard for modern society, that would like to turn all our ATV parks into horse and hike camps. So, what side are you on?

Old 07-31-2003 | 02:11 PM
Ol
Range Rover

Diablo,
Along with a partner, I own a large "ranch" out in the Nevada desert. It's ATV heaven out there. In the immediate vicinicty there's about 400 square miles of BLM offering fantastic riding, rocks hills, canyons, sand, alkalai flats, etc. There's more than one way to get there of course, but very best access to this wonderland crosses our ranch. Otherwise it's very difficult to access.

We land owners become environmentally conscious very quick.

Doctors Blackballed and Rook WV know what they're talking about:

You sir, and yahoos with your attitude, are exactly what caused us to have to put up 10 miles of fence around out place, literally closing off our valley and it's trails, to keep the land from virtually being destroyed and our local herd of wild horses run of into the next county by the excessive noise of your ATVs.

I suggest you:
1) do an attitude check on yourself
and
2) show a little more respect for the laws and the environment while you still have ANY place left to ride

Last time I checked, making lots of loud exhaust noises does NOT increase your testosterone level or help you "bag any babes". It does however, **** off the land owners, destroy the quiet and serenity of the outdoors for LARGE distances, scare off any animals that might be nearby, and damage the rider's hearing - permanently.

I personally would like to see the dB levels down to ~75 - 80 dBs and a penalty scheme for violation ofg the law that offers increasing severity preportional to dB level. At the uppre extremes, incarceration, confiscation of the ATV, or even summary on-the-spot execution.

Old 07-31-2003 | 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

Oldude,

first off, I believe that there should be designated parks and trails for ATVs. I highly discourage, being a landowner myself, any one from venturing off these designated trails. iI agree, Atv's, especially loud ones, scare off wildlife, rut up trails, and so on. Thats why we have parks that we pay to ride at and are for enjoyment of the sport. Do not put me in the Yahoo category, because I am far from that.

I never said anything about boosting my testosterone by having a loud quad, but sometimes in order to get peak performance out of an ATV, it's going to be louder. Some people like to go faster, instead of putting around like an old fart as I assume you do. I'm happily married with a beautiful daughter, so your picking up babes theory won't fly here. The reason I came after Blackballed is because he analyzes what everyone posts, and tends to **** people off. Kind of an ongoing tiff. Not the first time we've argued.

I suggest you...

1.Check Your attitude before coming to conclusions

2.Get rid of all your environmentally damaging SUV's, as well as your Cummins powered rig, and ride a bike, since you are so environmentally friendly.

3.Move.......... Not sure if you or the nearby park were there first........... but I'm sure if you and your nieghbors would have stirred up enough of a commotion, it wouldn't of opened. If it was there first, then you should have known better.
4. Go ahead, try your on the spot executions..........you sounded pretty intellegent until I read that.Geez.

5. Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2003 | 05:35 PM
Ol
Range Rover

Diablo,
Pard, let's talk a bit about jumping to conclusions.

A few straight facts:

1) I do own and ride two mountain bikes - Trek Navigators, a 300 and a 500

2) My Cummins diesel is not a pleasure vehicle, as is my wife's Jimmy - they are both commercial vehicles and used in my business(es) and duly registered.

3) I don't live in Nevada, I just happen to own a ranch there. I live in the San Francisco Bay area so all of my vehicles probably have more emissions equipment on them than yours is ever likely to have.

4) There is no "park" - what I'm talking about is wide open desert wilderness - available to the public - Public Lands. And I'm talking real wilderness, miles and miles to a paved road and even farther to a doctor - No phones, no water, no nothing. If you have a problem out there you better be able to solve it.

In fact until "mineral" wealth was discovered on my ranch, my original intent was to develop a park, establish a camp and provide an ATV facility that lead guided Real Wilderness tours to some historic Old West sites and ghost towns.

5) You are right about one thing - at 60 years of age, with 11 grandchildren, I admit to being an old fart. However, I don't exactly "putt" around. I'd bet I was racing dirt bikes before you were born.

6) As for my lack of intelligence, I am a retired IBM engineer and have degrees in Engineering, Secondary Education, Music and American History. I'm currently the Corporate Environmental, Health and Safety Director for a small (but international) Silicon Valley Corporation and own a full time business in the entertainment industry on the side.

I'll grant that "you" didn't correlate loudness with masculinity, but all too many others do indeed come across that way consistently. The posturing gets tiresome. Unfortunately, the way I apparently mis-read your post, you came off sounding like my 12 yeard old grandson.

Old 07-31-2003 | 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

oldude-

Yes, you are an old fart. LOL! I probably wasn't thought of while you were racing dirt bikes!!!!!!!! They made those back then?JK! I agree with many of the issues you brought up, and, and sorry about the intellegence remark, although I don't agree with killing people that might have mistakingly wandered onto your land. If not a mistake, give em a good beating then involve the law. I am familiar with the emmisions laws, having lived in Colorado. What have you done to your vehicles other than leaving all the stock smog equipment on? So, do you ride your bikes to and fro when not on business? curious. I love it when people slam other emmisions producing vehicles, yet contribute to the pollution themselves in more ways then one. Business or not, you're still contributing......

Quick Reply: Noise Regulations Mean That We Will Need Big HP