Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 02:46 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

Daren's post hit it. I actually own a 99' Lightning. It handles like its on rails, rolls down the highway at 90 like a cadillac, and has power everywhere. You truly have to drive one to know what I mean. With the supercharger it has torque everywhere, really fun for slicing through traffic. Stock it ran 13.65 at 101mph. With a chip,pulley and mass air meter (about $800) it runs 12.80's at 106 or 107. It tows 5,000 lbs easily and I've had close to 8,000 behind it a couple times. I wouldn't recommend towing this much on regular basis with any 1/2 ton shortbed no matter who makes it. Too much weight not enough truck in front of it. Very nice, comfortable truck.

last I heard when all this R/t 10 ram stuff started the price estimates were around $50,000. Have they decontented the truck?

The SS was supposed to be aimed at the Lightning market when it was conceptualized. John Moss as i remember was a big mouth to John Coletti (leader of Ford's SVT group) but after all the committees at Gm got done with it what you see is what you get. They were supposed to have a std cab short bed 6.0L 6spd man. It's not coming.

If a std cab shortbed fits your needs and you got the $ then by all means buy the Lightning you will not be disappointed.

HEY DOES THAT THING GOT A HEMI? sorry just had to say it...

Old 10-25-2003, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2003, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

You make a lot of good points and I agree with you for the most part. Thanks for the unbiased opinion. I just have one gripe (if you can call it that)....

Originally posted by: Daren420
I'm a Ford loyal consumer that thinks the new Hemi is nothing more than a marketing strategy. {In no way do I mean to offend anyone with my opinions.
No offense taken.

It is more then a marketing strategy. The main reason Dodge lovers and others are making such a big deal about the Hemi is not the fact that it is a Hemi. Its because of how big a leap Dodge took with this engine. Its replacing a 275 HP (i think) 5.9L POS. If Dodge owners wanted anything bigger then the underpowered 5.9L, they had to go with the V-10 or the diesel. Not many wanted the V-10. But now, there is a 345 HP V8. And since it does have hemispherical chambers, it is marketed as a Hemi. A leap like this would be a big deal to any automaker.

Old 10-25-2003, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: IMPORTH8R
last I heard when all this R/t 10 ram stuff started the price estimates were around $50,000. Have they decontented the truck?
Orders are being taken now for the SRT-10. Delivery is estimated mid-December. Base price is $45,000.

Old 10-25-2003, 07:11 PM
Range Rover

What is included for "base price" is this a shortbed, or did they do an SS on it?

Old 10-25-2003, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

DEMag,

I agree that the extra hp is nice. And I totally understand the excitement of getting that hp without having to get a diesel or V-10. I don't care for V-10s or Diesels. Just personal preference. So your point is well taken.

It isn't just about hp to a lot of people, it is the name and status of having a "hemi." Dodge is using the Hemi to its advertising advantage. But then again, who wouldn't?? I sure would.

Later,

Daren

Old 10-25-2003, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: IMPORTH8R
What is included for "base price" is this a shortbed, or did they do an SS on it?
Its a shortbed, regular cab. No other way to get it for now. I think there will be a Quad Cab version next year. I don't think there are any options. You just get the SRT package.

Old 10-26-2003, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: DeuceRooster
DanPayne: Wanna bet $700 you can't beat a GMC Syclone (bone stock) in the rain in a 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag race? If so I'm gonna have $700 extra in my pocket [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Double it and come to north Louisiana. 728 Germantown Rd in Minden. You can triple it if you wanna. I have already beat one of these before on a dry day. I didn't think I would either but I did. I guess my turbo kit kinda helped me out a little.

Old 10-26-2003, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

Well Ill Say ONE Thing I Have An Silverado SS And Im Looking For ANY LIGHTNING That Thinks It's Bad Or That Little 5.7L (Mopar) "DiamlerCrystler" Corp. HEMI I Tell You My Silverado May Have A 6.0 L 364CID But It Can Get With The Best Of Them And That Hemi Ive Tryed Once And Tryed Again To Get A HEMI To Take Me BUt They Didnt, Also YALL GUYS JUST DONT KNOW WHAT THE CHEVROLET SILVERADO SS 2005 Will Have I Know what It WIll Have BUt HINT: It's Ready For HEMI,Srt-10 And WHatever Else Ford And Dodge Will Have It Well Over Powering That HEMI And That Lightning 6.0L 325CID With 485HP/515Ftlb!!! AMAZING (Thats A Treat For Yall GUys That Think The Lightning Will Be Fast And That Srt-10 And Belive Me It Will Be Optional Reg Cab Or Ext[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. With The Top Speed WELL OVER 150!!And More (DODGE LOVERS HOW DO YOU RESPOND ON THAT ONE). And LIGHTNING LOVERS![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Im Out

James Ross
Username: 8042
Recent Vehicle: 2003 Chevrolet Silverado SS/2002 Chevrolet Silverado (It May Have The Regular 5.3L But AINT NO FORD HAS OUTRAN IT YET)!! OR DODGE)![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2003, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 8042
Well Ill Say ONE Thing I Have An Silverado SS And Im Looking For ANY LIGHTNING That Thinks It's Bad Or That Little 5.7L (Mopar) "DiamlerCrystler" Corp. HEMI I Tell You My Silverado May Have A 6.0 L 364CID But It Can Get With The Best Of Them And That Hemi Ive Tryed Once And Tryed Again To Get A HEMI To Take Me BUt They Didnt, Also YALL GUYS JUST DONT KNOW WHAT THE CHEVROLET SILVERADO SS 2005 Will Have I Know what It WIll Have BUt HINT: It's Ready For HEMI,Srt-10 And WHatever Else Ford And Dodge Will Have It Well Over Powering That HEMI And That Lightning 6.0L 325CID With 485HP/515Ftlb!!! AMAZING (Thats A Treat For Yall GUys That Think The Lightning Will Be Fast And That Srt-10 And Belive Me It Will Be Optional Reg Cab Or Ext[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. With The Top Speed WELL OVER 150!!And More (DODGE LOVERS HOW DO YOU RESPOND ON THAT ONE). And LIGHTNING LOVERS![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Im Out

James Ross
Username: 8042
Recent Vehicle: 2003 Chevrolet Silverado SS/2002 Chevrolet Silverado (It May Have The Regular 5.3L But AINT NO FORD HAS OUTRAN IT YET)!! OR DODGE)![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

LOL! You could put a 1000lb trailer on the Lightning and it will still beat you. Wait lemme guess, you have a turbo kit too right? LOL!

Quick Reply: Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv