Is it just me or does anyone else get paranoid out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 04:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me or does anyone else get paranoid out there?

I dont know what it is about being in the woods by myself, but when ever I have to go into the woods and clear out some of our trails, I get paranoid as freak. I keep thinkin some big hairy big foot look son of a gun is going to come charging out at me. I know we have panthers, bob cats, and a few bears have been seen around here. But on more than one occasion I have been scared out of the woods...and it takes alot to scare me. But you throw me in the woods by myself and leave me there for a while and Ill come out screamin full throttle.
The other day I was clearing some of our trails and I stopped to take a few sips off the Camelbak and I laid back on the fourwheeler with my legs hangin off and my head on the cross bar and about 20 seconds later I realized that I couldnt see anything around me. I hopped up paranoid and I run over and grab the machete and kinda look around not really expecting to hear or see anything, but just kinda to reassure that Im not going to get snuck up on by a man eating dear or rabid bear or rabbit. I know those deer are itchin to get some revenge on me, lol. But anyways...I get to choppin and trimmin and all of a sudden I hear these footsteps. Not the kind you hear when you are hunting and you got the squirrels running around and not the steady steps of a deer. It was like *crunch*1..2..3..*crunch*1..2..3...and so on. I listened for a second and looked around frantically cuz I dont know anything that walks that slow unless its a biggin or its a huntin something. I didnt hesitate, I threw the machete in my back sheath, worked at gettin my .357 unholstered and ran like I was on fire and leapfrogged onto the fourwheeler and I was moooooving outta there. I got to the fields and sat on top of a big 8ft high pile of dirt we use as a ramp on our track and I was watching to see if anything came out for probably 15min. Its not the first time that's happened. A similar incident happend about a year ago and a few years ago one of my dads friends came hauling a$$ out of the woods ON FOOT. We asked him what had happened and he said he got down out of our tree stand and he started walkin towards the field and he heard these footsteps behind him and he stopped and something started growling. So he walked faster and then stopped again...something growled...so he took off...and thats when we saw him runnin out of the woods...white as a ghost. Man, its risky around here. Anyone else gettin chased off their own land by the local wildlife? or is anyone paranoid by themselves in the woods? It doesnt happen when Im hunting, only when Im off the fourwheelers clearing trail....go figure...i think im gettin hunted now!

Old 09-10-2003, 05:16 AM
Pro Rider

I know what you mean, it can be pitch black in the morning when I'm hunting and it never bothers me, but any other time and I freak myself out. At first I thought it was just because I had a gun but I now carry a .45 with me and I still bug out in the dark if I'm not hunting. Thats why I don't go in the woods alone and if I was ever in the woods by myself in the dark and I heard something walking behind me and growling I would have bullets flying and my legs moving.

Old 09-10-2003, 01:57 PM
NYC
Pro Rider

~Put down the Chronic~

lol, That was great!!
Totally here what ur saying tho, It get's eerie out there all alone...

Old 09-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

Ch..Ch..Ch..Ch... you dont live by camp Crystal Lake do you ??

lol

just your mind trying to scare ya, plus you had a machete, but come to
think of it didnt Jason have one also..........

Old 09-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

I have gottin scared a few times before just like that. But mostly at night all by my self. We see bears around here ALL the time, so i keep thinkin im going to see some big hairy thing around a turn looking at me eye to eye. I have had a moose do that too. Big motha trucka.

Old 09-10-2003, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

A couple of charged Glocks, extra mags (no, not girlie mags silly), some ephedrine and I'm set...

What ever's out there... BRING IT!

selector

Old 09-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Range Rover

Im thinking its a bear...I hope its a bear, it'd be easier to hit than a fast cat...but on the other hand, a cat would be easier to take down...hmm...whatever it is, its got me scared and if i see it when im in a stand this season...ill gladly give up a 10pointer to take down a bear or a big cat...either one would look good with the 10pointer we already got over the tv. and id like the braggin rights that go along with takin down a bear, lol.
I swear these animals around here are gettin stronger or something. Check this story out....
One day my dad came home from work and grabbed up the .357 and ran into the wood for about 4 hours in the evening. He came running back(this is before we got the atvs, lol). GET THE TRUCK I JUST HIT A 10 POINTER AND THAT SUCKER RAN OFF. It was at the base of his stand and he hit that sucker clean through the neck with a hollow point! We didnt find it and the next morning he took the 12gauge down there and sat for about 30min before a deer came out and you know which one it was....the one he nailed the night before....he took that sucker down and now it graces our wall in the living room. Beautiful rack and good eatin' too. I never heard of a deer that took one through the neck and lived through the night...it was uncanny. If they all are like that...well...im buying a friggin DE .50AE. If that dont take something down....it may very well be the devil, lol.

Old 09-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

I blame all my heepy jeepies on Steven King , after years of watching those kinda movies I freak my self out everytime while riding at night , I always waiting on some freak to jump out at me or clothsline me . Anyone see House of 1000corpses yet ? That was some freaky $hit.

Old 09-10-2003, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, though I walk through the valley in the shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil.

For I am the meanest thing in the valley.

Amen.

Old 09-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

I know the feeling. I was walking behind our house in the swamp, clearing an old trail. I was cutting along with my machete and decided to follow the creek bank. As I was going, I came into an opening in the woods. Maybe 8-10' circle. The sun was barely coming thru since it was dusk. In that opening was a dead rabbit! Freaked me out. Good thing I was packing. Had a Sig P226 and a Mini 14 with 2 30rnd clips (hey, I go prepared for most anything!)

I never found that spot again.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or does anyone else get paranoid out there?