What to name the new dog?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 01:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to name the new dog?

The dogs really have to sort out the whole dominance thing. Sometimes it's better to get a male and a female instead of two males or two females. Mastiff type dogs are a good example of this. They really just need a little time to establish who is boss. That should be you or your father. Then it goes down from there. There are certain postures or movements that dogs do that shouldn't be mis-interpreted. It may just be a dog thing. When I got my male lab my male malamute wasn't very happy. The malamute put a gash over the labs eye but the lab got the idea and we got the vet bill. The dogs will eventually (most likely) become the best of friends and you'll be thinking "What about me? I like to play." while they play together. You could have let them smell areas where the other dog has been before bringing them together. Then tie them both to a couple leads a short distance from each other. Slowly bring them closer so they can get used to each other. Just watch for very aggressive behavior. Reward good behavior with vocal praise or even a treat.

Old 12-02-2003, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

How about "Sparky" That name cracks me up. Seeings how you have a dog named "Charlie," maybe you should give him a name like "Bob" or "Bill," names people wouldn't expect for a dog. "Heres my puppy, his names Bob!" As far as the fighting goes, it looks like one of them is going to have to wup the other to establish himself as the Alpha dog, thats the way it "usually" goes if they're going to live with each other. You may get lucky, though, and they might just start getting along, you never know. All it took for my 5 yr old, 13# Boston terrier to establish his position with my Boxer thats 8-9 times heavier was to show his teeth and let out the death snarl, and they've gotten along great ever since! Whats really funny is that my Boxer has never backed down to any other dog, other than him.

Old 12-02-2003, 02:58 AM
Range Rover

Yea, Ive learned a little about the whole alpha dog thing from stuff off tv. Like the one you feed first sees itself as the alpha dog. Since we have the new one in its own pen, it should be safe while charlie establishes dominance...I hope...that big ol dog could just about take down a tree.
As for those names Diablo, I actuall laughed out loud thinking about naming a dog Bob or Bill...its so straight forward...so bland...so big city office worker....its hilarous....but so is a name like Bite @ss...or Hardtail or Softail, maybe flat head or pan head. I cant wait till I get my own dogs. Im gonna have fun naming them. A big doberman named fluffy and a chiauhah named killer or something. Something that will throw people off. Both will attack on the word "Gravy" or "Succatash"...something stupid and funny, I want intruders to laugh so they slow down and get bit in the @ss.

EDIT: Just thought Id add that when I was a kid, I had 3 hamsters at one time....all named "Bob". I dunno why...it just stated calling them all Bob...and it stuck.

Old 12-02-2003, 04:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I kinda like Mortician (Mort) for animal that is going to have to deal with death so much.

One of my dogs alert when I twist his collar. That way if someone strange is at the door, the dog will just start barking without a command word. If I get another Boxer, I'm going to call him Tigger because of the way they bounce.

How about something respectful like MR. SMITH? No! No... Mr. Smith don't bite him. They'll picture some crazy guy chasing them down. Mr. Dog to you! - I think my suggestions are getting worst.

Old 12-02-2003, 11:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Axle

The best dog I ever owned was a big black lab named Axle.

Old 12-02-2003, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer

Leathal congrats on the dog. I myself just got a bridal mastiff i named "Tank". Hes 7 weeks and such a sh*** head. So full of energy. Good luck with the lab.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2003, 12:46 PM
Range Rover

CC just gave me another idea with that "tigger" comment. I misread and thought it said "trigger". I kinda like that, it suits a bird dog. I like axle too, sounds like a good dog name, easy to say. Gotta suggest these to my dad, we still havent picked the name yet.

Old 12-02-2003, 01:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Or Bullet instead of Billet.

Hammer
Decoy
*Grips*
Gauge
Target
Coot (type of duck)

Old 12-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Range Rover

Hey, bullet is a good one. Or Mag. Thanks CC, those are pretty good.

Old 12-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

LOL! A friend of mine used to have a Bullmastiff/ Great Dane mix named "Tiny!" At 180+ pounds, he wasn't so "Tiny." he had the hieght of the Great Dane, and the build of the Mastiff, and to top it all off, he was Albino! He looked like the hound from hell! It was so funny to see delivery guys run for the hills when Tiny came running around the corner. He was a big puppy, to those who he recognized. Its too bad huge dogs have such a small life span, he only lived to be 5.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]