The Chaser becomes the Chasee!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 11:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Chaser becomes the Chasee!

I got out for about a 8 mile ride today. I started at about 200 feet above sea level and slowly drove up to around 2200 feet above sea level. I was about 2 miles into the ride and I hear a jingle to the right of me. First thing I think of is coyote because I always see tracks in this area. But coyotes don't jingle unless they happen to have a tracking collar on. (If even then.) I look to my right and there's a dog running along side of me. I don't know where the heck it came from because I was so far out in the woods. I don't know if it had rabies, wanted a new owner, trying to catch a ride or just thought I looked good to bite. Keep in mind that I'm riding on a trail where if you pull over you drop down into really deep snow. I didn't have my gun on me so I didn't want to stop and chance that it might have rabies or just be a pr.ck that wants to bite me. So I just increased my speed thinking that it'll get tired and stop chasing me. Mile after mile, I would look back and the darn dog was still chasing me. (30mph was a top speed on these snow covered trails) Everytime I would slow down to look back it was still there. I drove about 6 miles with the dog chasing me 4 miles so far. (I felt like John Cusack in the 80's movie "Better Off Dead" and the dog was the newspaper boy trying to collect it's $2.00) I started to drive back down the mountain on a road with rock ledges on one side and a couple thousand foot drop-off on the other. The dog was still running as fast as it could to try to catch up with me. Everytime I thought the dog was gone it would pop out of no where. Anyway, the dog chased me for at least 6 miles and I finally lost it when I hit paved roads at about 250 feet above sea level. I just thought it was odd for a dog to chase for so many miles.

I used to ride bikes for miles and I would always carry an extra bottle of water to spray at an animal that might give chase. I never had a dog chase me for more than probably a 1/4 of a mile while biking. This dog probably would have caught me on my bike after a mile or so. I have 3 dogs of my own and I'm not afraid of dogs at all but I didn't want to take a chance of getting rabies or just bit.

So has anyone else ever had something so persistent chase them while on your quads? I think I'll get some pepper spray to carry with me. In a way, I kinda liked the dog because I just wish that one of my lazy dogs could keep up with me like that while riding. The dog was crazy though.

Old 12-20-2003, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

LoL, funny story. where i used to live, on a dirtroad, i would go riding up and down it past my neighbors house who breeds Great Danes, One is deaf, and it will stand out in the road, and when it sees you it will try to chomp at your feet when you go by so i try to kick it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] . And our other neighbors have a Chocolate lab we call "BIG" since he is so much bigger than our lab, he always likes to run with me while i ride, it too can go 30 mph according to my speedometer on my banshee.

Old 12-20-2003, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

One time I had a coyote watching me while I planted soybeans (live on a farm). Every 10 minutes or so I had to get out of the tractor and work on the planter. Well, after an hour or so, the coyote started following me through the field instead of just sitting and watching. The next time I stopped, he was a few hundred yards from me and he stopped and watched me work on the planter. The next time I stopped, he was about 150 yards from me. Then 100 yards, 50 yards, 100 feet, then 50 feet. I could see that this coyote was VERY hungry, thinnest i've ever seen, hair was falling out, and he was foaming at the mouth. When my planter tore up once again, I stopped and looked back behind me to see how close he was. I didn't see him. I thought he must have just ran off. Upon opening the door and starting down the steps, I found he was standing at the bottom waiting for me. His eyes were glazed over and he was standing perfectly still staring at me. Even though I had the weight advantage 330lbs vs. 50lbs I didn't feel like f**king with an animal that did not seem to have my best interest in mind.

Old 12-20-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AlkyBurninX
One time I had a coyote watching me while I planted soybeans (live on a farm). Every 10 minutes or so I had to get out of the tractor and work on the planter. Well, after an hour or so, the coyote started following me through the field instead of just sitting and watching. The next time I stopped, he was a few hundred yards from me and he stopped and watched me work on the planter. The next time I stopped, he was about 150 yards from me. Then 100 yards, 50 yards, 100 feet, then 50 feet. I could see that this coyote was VERY hungry, thinnest i've ever seen, hair was falling out, and he was foaming at the mouth. When my planter tore up once again, I stopped and looked back behind me to see how close he was. I didn't see him. I thought he must have just ran off. Upon opening the door and starting down the steps, I found he was standing at the bottom waiting for me. His eyes were glazed over and he was standing perfectly still staring at me. Even though I had the weight advantage 330lbs vs. 50lbs I didn't feel like f**king with an animal that did not seem to have my best interest in mind.
Thats when the 12 gauge with 00 buckshot comes out![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2003, 03:02 PM
Range Rover

What he said^^
or just run over the him with a tractor.

Old 12-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

That must have been one starved coyote, the ones around here usually take off at the sight of a human or a dog. Hey Coyotechaser, what kind of dog do you think it was that chased you? Mut? Sounds like somebody must have owned him if he had a collar on(jingle?)
My Boxer will chase me non-stop, unless I let him on, pretty persistent!

Old 12-23-2003, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

A week ago I was out riding on the Honda 4x4 and came up on a cow moose and 2 calves in a field. I started riding towards them and she started comming after me. Her ears were pinned and her head was cocked. The calves started trotting down the tree line so I paralelled them about a hundred yards out. But mom kept angeling towards me. Then I started getting into deeper snow and slowing down and she started getting closer. Thats when I backed off and went the other way. I'm sure if I had gotten stuck or stalled or something she would have put a hurtin on me. Although I probably deserved it for herassing them.

Trending Topics

Old 12-24-2003, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I've been capping squirrels out my kitchen window......

Me 3
Squirrels 0
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-24-2003, 04:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Diablo- I think it was at least half hunting dog. Actually, today he popped out on me again on my way up the mountain. This time he took the lead and stayed with me for most of a 10 mile ride. He ended up being good company. He probably ran 2 miles to every 1 mile I had ridden. He would loop through the woods and look over the ledges and sometimes dissappear for a while. Next thing I'd hear a jingle and there he was to my right. I think he just wants someone to go up on the mountain with. He had the markings of a fawn boxer with white on the nose but he looked more like a pointer. He only stopped twice to drink from a stream. He just runs constantly.

One of my three dogs is a boxer. She is a darker fawn color with white on the nose, chest and feet. She's about 7 years old (49) and at times has problems with her one knee. So she's just not up to a long run like that. She'd probably think she could do it for the first mile or so and then she'd want to lay down for a rest. She has a great nose on her, she's always finding things like bear hair on trees for me.

Old 12-24-2003, 04:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Starky- I wish I lived where I could see other animals like moose. I remember seeing a guy on tv that would walk up to the moose with a fake moose head. He had to be part nuts. I need more variation in my wildlife environment. There's only so many whitetail deer and black bears you can look at. I've been looking for a cougar for years now. No luck yet.

Quick Reply: The Chaser becomes the Chasee!