CBS reports on ebay scammers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBS reports on ebay scammers

They did a report tonight on CBS evening news about the piece of **** scammers on ebay. They had a guy who had been ripped off and a guy whos identity had been stolen. Supposedly the government is investigating. One government official stressed that you should use credit cards when buying online, credit cards will usually dispute charges, and scammers usually will not accept them. The other thing she said was to stay away from anyone who insists on Western Union, and anything that seems too good to be true. If anything, at least these @ssholes are getting exposed on the national media.

Old 01-24-2004, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

I uncovered TWO on ebay just a couple weeks ago! They were selling ATV's!!! The first one was a bitchin Rubicon...brand new in the picture with a "no reserve" price of $2750 and no bids. You might say that got my attention. There was, however, a disclaimer in the auction that required the bidder to get "pre-approved" prior to bidding and to do so you had to send an email to the seller. More than wanting to bid, I wanted some questions about the scoot answered so I zipped off a "question to seller" and placed it on my watch list. I didn't expect a response right away so I started browsing for more ATV's. Not more than one minute later I went back to the Rubicon Auction and it was gone, "invalid auction number" was what I got. Checked my watch list and got the same thing. Real strange, as usually when something has been sold on Buy it Now you can always view it for a while. This thing was long gone...like it never existed. The next day I get an email reply from a person identifying themself as Susan Browning and that "this is how the auction will work." The quad was in Palermo, Italy and she would ship it to me via FedEx 4 day Air Freight at NO CHARGE! All I had to do was make a Western Union or Bank Wire the cash directly to her account and the quad was mine! Yeah Rrrrrright!!! What a BS scam. I sent a reply back to the douchebag and told 'em "better yet, why don't I just send you a dump truck full of cash and you can keep the quad...I really don't need it!" then I suggested that she send me the quad BEFORE I paid for it. Needless to say, I didn't get a reply. I went right to eBay's security section to report the fraud and found how weak their system is for fraud reporting. You will find that you have to jump through miles of hoops before you are able to get to email ANYONE at eBay. I got all the way up to a point in my reporting where it required an Item number to report so they could reference. I had none as the previous auction had vanished. Even though eBay issued the original Item number, it had been pulled and was now non-existent so I could not go any further in the reporting process. It was BOGUS!

A couple days later, I saw a cherry Polaris 500 Sportsman with the identical "pre-approval" requirement. I didn't reply to it this time, I just sent it to eBay security as a potential fraud auction. I don't know what ever came of it.

Instead, I bought a brand new Polaris 400 Sportsman from my local dealer where I could touch it before I put my cash down!

BEWARE!!!

Old 01-24-2004, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it is a very long process to turn these jerks in. Glad you exposed the idiot for what he is, a piece of ****! Theres alot of these scams going on, some have even started thier own websites through ebay, one in particular is "Quad Paradise" They have brand new quads on there for half price, only kicker is that they're shipped from overseas! Riiiiiiiiiight!

Old 01-24-2004, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

glad i did my western union to a good honest american,LOL

loads of these scams on ebay UK as well,

the peole placing the ads claim to be in the uk in there location profile but the photos are nearly always American, looks like there just cutting and pasting photos and text from legit adds faking up a profile,

the adds do seem to disapear rather quickly and dont show up in your watched items like you say.

i thought it was cos security were well onto this kind of thing,

Old 01-25-2004, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, alot of the scammers us UK adresses, but I've also seen some from Portugal, Nigeria, Malaysia. The thing that really sucks about this whole deal is when a good honest person from another country does want to use ebay, they're going to have a harder time doing so because of all the scams, people will hesitate to do business with them for fear of getting ripped off.

Old 01-26-2004, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

I think they're Taliban! Or maybe it's Osama![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2004, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

yeah the uk adds will be binladen and his good friend the Hook, hes probably in the UK scrounging benefits and claiming assylum,

and at the same time prophesising the downfall off the west and inciting racial hatred, but the govvy wont do anything cos that would be Racist and he has the right to free speech,

Get A Clew BLAIR kick the ******* Out,