BEST BROADBAND DEAL OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 01:47 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST BROADBAND DEAL OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!

Im sick of paying $110 a month for internet and digital cable.....to the local monopoly......

Im not looking for a sales pitch!!!!!

Im looking for people who are happy with what they get/for what they pay,,,,,,,not necessarily the cheapest,,,,,,but the best value.

I need to make a move.......

Any happy customers out there,,,,,,,,or gisgruntled????

Thanks

Old 03-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

Bing,

I would have to say that cable is going to be the best solution for the money. With the right provider you can get download speeds of up to 3Mbps and upload 300kbps. 40-50$ month average.

Dsl will normally be 768kbps down/128 up or 1544 down/256 up. 40-50$ month average.

Most satellite solutions are to slow or cost prohibitive, not to mention additional packet delay. I know there have been a few more satellite solutions added in the last few years, but personally I would stay away from these. 30-65$ month with Bandwidth restrictions or what is called a fair usage policy. My opinion is if it is turned on, it should be fair to use as much as possible. Satellite companies don't see it this way.

Wireless solutions may be another option for you to look at. However with DSL or Cable available, wireless would not really be a consideration. 40-60$ month. There are a number of nature conditions and line of sight issues that have to be addressed for this to work 100%.

Here's what I use for my combination of TV programming and Broadband access.

Dish Network for the TV programming. 35-100$ month depending on the number of movie channels you want.
Pros- Resolution is 500 lines opposed to 400 lines with Digital Cable. This makes a huge difference on a Big Screen TV. FYI-DVDs are 600 lines or resolution, that is why the picture is better. More data is packed into the same space. I also use the dish PVR and record all my shows in advance. I can be recording one show and be watching something I already recorded. No tapes or discs to mess with. Also, I can fast forward through commercials, pause on Hotties, backup etc.

Cons- Rarely- On average -Once every few months the weather is severe enough for me to lose signal during a very serious storm.

For Broadband- I go with *** Cable. 3mbps down and 300kbps up. The download bandwidth is roughly 2 times that of a business class T1.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Range Rover

The big thing keeping me from dropping by $110/month dig. cable + cable modem is that I don't have a landline. If I were to switch to $45/month cable modem, I would want my $35/month satellite to have a PVR, and all literature indicates that I must have a landline to set up the PVR. If only TiVo and the sat companies could jump into the 20th century and handle broadband setup of the pvr service, argh.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Jens, we've got no phone line hooked up to our PVR. The line is needed if you want to easlily buy a movie. Most of the time it's used to tape the wife's soaps. It's great for the big games though.

Old 03-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Range Rover

Hi Scooter, I was looking into switching to satellite, and getting the TiVo built into the dish box (so the monthly fee is only $5 instead of $12/month), but the website swore up and down on its website that a landline was required for installation. I emailed them to confirm, but of course they never wrote back. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

We don't pay a monthly subscription for the PVR. I made sure before we got it. Got it free with the promo they were doing. Asked about getting a second one, 299.00 dollars. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
BTW, I'm signed with Dish Network.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:34 PM
TPR
The Champ

From Last to First!!!

LOL, this is the last post in the Other Topics thread....Bing, what have you come up with?

TPR

Old 07-29-2005, 04:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: ThePhantomRider
From Last to First!!!

LOL, this is the last post in the Other Topics thread....Bing, what have you come up with?

TPR
i ditched the digital cable,,,,kept the broadband

figured i had better hang onto it after i bought a portion of the company....

Old 07-29-2005, 04:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bing......I use Charter cable internet. I have a 3meg download and I used to pay $51 a month for it. Last month I called them to downgrade my speed for less money (told them I was tired of spending all that $ ) End up they ONLY have the 3 meg connection and the guy knocked my bill down to $19.99 for the next 12 months for me so I wouldnt shut it off! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] maybe bluff your current provider![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash
Bing......I use Charter cable internet. I have a 3meg download and I used to pay $51 a month for it. Last month I called them to downgrade my speed for less money (told them I was tired of spending all that $ ) End up they ONLY have the 3 meg connection and the guy knocked my bill down to $19.99 for the next 12 months for me so I wouldnt shut it off! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] maybe bluff your current provider![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
we also have charter, couldnt tell you how much we pay...I dont deal with the bills...my ma does [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] well i am actaully only here for 3 months of the year, other then that I have service through my school...so either way I couldnt tell you either way...

Quick Reply: BEST BROADBAND DEAL OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!