OT: Associates Degree?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004 | 12:09 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default OT: Associates Degree?

Welp CIS does not transfer at my school, thats out of the question. What im planning on doing is taking as many math and englishes I can and transfer to ECU. I enjoy the thought of being a Software Engineer, and I also enjoy building webpages so I see no reason not to major in Computer Science. What scared me was, that one day I was in Visual Basic and I was like "Damn, this is getting boring, I think imma change my major." The next couple of days I looked and researched for a different major but I went right back to Computer Science. So I guess somedays it will get boring, and I imagine its like that with all the other majors, but you get back into it. Ok now what is the deal with the programmers in India? Yall aint saying after I finish my degree all the indians will have my job are you?

Old 04-28-2004 | 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Here is my experience working in software as I used to work at.

My company hired local programmers all through the 90's. When the big internet boom happened they were getting big$$$$. More than 70% of them where offered more money to work elsewhere or just got bored and quit. We ended up having to hire lots of foreigners on work visas to do the job(locally) and farmed out other, less important programs to other countries for pennies on the dollar. Because of this the money a programmer could command today has been greatly reduced.

The exact same thing happened to many of my colleges in different companies. I will not name these companines but some are huge.

Now, I don't know about you guys but this is not the type of thing I would want to throw my cookies into, look at the Sunday paper this week. What used to span two pages of ads for computer related jobs is less than a half column now. It could bounce back like it was before but it could also stay in the dumps like it is now. I'm not willing to gamble.

I'm switching to health care because as long as you have people they will need care.

Either way, good luck.

Old 04-28-2004 | 01:04 AM
|
Trailblazer

Rob, What kind of degree did you have? Also what languages did you use?

Old 04-28-2004 | 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

I have an associates in science in graphic design in 1990.

I have in the last two years gone back to school, started from scratch (and I mean from scratch) and started working on my bachelors in biology, have about another year and a half to go, then it's off to dental school for 4-6 more years.

As for my programming, I like to think of myself as an artist turned programmer and not the other way. The html, ASP, C++ and JavaScript I know I've learned on my own.

Old 04-28-2004 | 01:58 AM
|
Trailblazer

Impressive. To much school for me cuz, it will be worth it afterwards but I just couldnt do it.

Old 04-28-2004 | 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

I didn't think I could do it either. It took the ripe old age of 34 for me to settle down enough to take this serious. Before then, I was partying too much and getting horrible grades. This is why I had to start all over, my old grades were not good enough to get into DS.

It also takes a lot of sacrifice, almost every weekend when my friends are riding, I'm home studying. Actually I'm studying right now for a final tomorrow morning. Let me tell you, I like math but this is the 5th consecutive math class I've had. I wish I could take a break but once you start slacking it's all over.

Old 04-28-2004 | 09:53 PM
|
Trailblazer

Yea, true. I think I have set my goals for Computer Science, one of my friends said in class today that his GF had a job waiting for her $75 grand a year when she graduates. I know I can find a job SOMEWHERE, I will be satisfied with $50 grand a year, so I can live comfortable. Taking Java Programming, Precalculus, Another English, MicroEconomics next fall and they all transfer so I think that will be a pretty good schedule.

Old 04-28-2004 | 11:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

The original question "Is (an) Associates degree worth receiving?" is worth answering with a resonding YES.

The thought of pursuing this degree in computer programming bears close scrutiney. I know of several people that have Associates in this area and none of them are currently employed in the field. One bright young man, Dean's list all thru his schooling, is currently working in a carbon fiber plant as a first line supervisor.

Too many people for the jobs available at the present time. This particular young man was compeating for entry level jobs with people holding masters degrees and some on the job experiance. Tough field to break into.

Most people will change their jobs several times over the course of their working career and often switch to totally unrelated fields. The advice to find a field that is growing and will continue to grow and to get into something that interests you is excellent but often difficult to do. The old adage that nothing lasts forever is woefully acurate. Next best bet, it seems to me, would to bet on as close to a sure thing as possible. Since the average age of our nations population is getting older, thanks to the "baby boomers" it would seem logical to target the service industry that will support these older people and their expendable income.

Any of the service type jobs, things that make life livable, comfortable, enjoyable and fun, such as golf courses, home maintenance, heating and cooling, travel and etc. should be investigated.

Most really qualified, read "trained", home appliance repair and service personel are busy full time. I know the HVACR, heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration, field is very short of trained techs. I have heard the same of the other major appliance fields.

Electricians, plumbers and home repair and maintenance workers will all do well if they are willing, and trained, to do quality work.

Being retired I know I have little intrest in doing a lot of jobs I used to do around the house. The other "old farts" and I would rather set around the coffee counter, go fishing, quad riding, hunting or what ever than have to fix a broken porch light. Great area for you poor old working stiffs to cash in on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2004 | 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Im 28 hours away from a bachelors in CIS. It is been a struggle through all the general ed crap, but I believe it is worth it. This summer I will be going for my second internship. EXPERIENCE and a bachelors degree will get you a long way.

Old 04-30-2004 | 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

This makes me glad I'm not into computers...

I took the "like your job" advice to heart, and am going into production agriculture. I like it, and it's guaranteed to stay in this country for a long time. The pay isn't always great though.

Quick Reply: OT: Associates Degree?