STREET LEGAL QUADS!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2000, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Kodiak2001,

I read it and I didn't quite understand it....are atv's going to be legal on the roads or not???
I hope they will be!!!

Old 08-17-2000, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

I've been wanting to make a quad street legal. No one in my area can tell me if it is posible. I can't see why it wouldn't be when you can ride a those three wheeled VW contraptions and some of the other stuff out there. IF i do it it is going to be strickly street, lowered with wider a arms and axle. I was going to do it to my warrior but i would realy like to use a ds or a raptor for some real power. I just think going out and rideing around just like bikers do would be great and a lot of fun.

Old 08-19-2000, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer

I have been pondering this question for a long time too, and have asked around alot but still no luck. Can anyone tell me, Can I get my 400EX street legal in Arkansas? It sure would be nice, im almost 19 and still dont have a car because I spend the money on my fourwheeler instead, and now I dont have a means of transportation. Thanks

Old 08-19-2000, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Yes they should make then legal everywhere because some people can't afford a car...an ATV wouldn't cost as much.
They would be more safer than motorcycles because of 4 wheels, and you don't have to keep your balance all the time.
If they made ATV's legal here I'd would probably get a nice one and make it legal.
What kind of licence do you think they would have to teach...just a normal motorcycle licence course?(they'd probably have to make a new ATV course)

Old 08-22-2000, 12:28 PM
Range Rover

WyoRider,

Who's your insurer? Those prices seem pretty darn low. That is a yearly rate, right?

What's you age, how much do you have insured with the insurance company, how's your driving record. Sorry for the interrogation, but those are some basic issues that have a great effect on rip-off...oops...insurance (he he he) premiums.

Old 08-22-2000, 01:07 PM
Range Rover

YFMRACER,

I am e-mailing you in particular because I probably only live about 20 minutes from you. I too would like to get my quad up to street legal standards if possible.

I, however, have a different reason than many of you. You see I already have a trail that allows me access to the riding area. I also have an individual who doesn't want me using the trail. I've kind of picked up on the idea after he cut several trees down which blocked the trail Get this, it's not even his property, it's the community's property, which was never developed.

To get to my point though, my purpose for getting my quad street legal is due manly to avoid the above hassle. If I avoid the problem I create a new problem with the local sheriff's dept. I just don't want to be making unwanted donations to the Stafford Sheriff's Department in the form of tickets. I would simply ride on the roads through my community in order to access the trails.

I also understand why there is so much resistance on getting the quads street legal. On the road/pavement, they are extremely unsafe. The pavement offers no "give" which most, if not all, quads need. Furthermore, the quads are very narrow. These two factors combined lead to a very high center of gravity for the given application. Here's a great example, just look back at the JEEP. The manufacturer had to redesign the JEEP due to its tendency to roll when cornering.

Yes, as you mention, you would modify yours so that all the factors above would be nonexistent. However, the governing bodies would have to regulate the issue based on factory specifications, not the individual's modifications.

To go further, you'd have to wonder about the idiot who would take the licensing issue for all it was worth. They would be passing you going down the interstate on a nice cool Sunday morning headed to their favorite riding area. It would only take one or two mishaps in such a situation for the licensing issue to be voted out. I think licensing a quad would be great and I am all for it. Just let’s not abuse the privilege if it exists or fight the battle for the wrong reason.

Hey, where do you ride? Let me know if you find anything on licensing in VA. If I get anything, I’ll let you know.

Old 08-22-2000, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

My insurance is provided by Progressive. Driving record is fairly good (1 minor accident 2 years ago)and I am over 30 years old. Those rates are for a full year. I have minimum liability and I honestly can't remember the deductible for the full coverage on the warrior, probably $250. I hope this helps. Remember this is in Wyoming, which has pretty low auto insurance rates to start with. I hope this helps.

Old 08-22-2000, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

YFMRACER, I bet the DMV could tell you if an ATV could be street legal.

Old 08-22-2000, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Vilentj, I bet the DMV could tell you if an ATV could be street legal.

Old 08-23-2000, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Why would anyone want to ride an ATV on road? Its called An ATV all terain ?? Why the rode? Thats what cars are for? What up with all of you?

Quick Reply: STREET LEGAL QUADS!!!!!!!