My Grizzly ate a jack rabbit

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Grizzly ate a jack rabbit

Here's another vote for not killing them. It's one thing to put on a chase for a minute or two, but to run it down in another story..

Old 05-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

Chase for a little while ok, kill my opinion that this is wrong. I also take the same aditude on trees etc... Only time I run over trees is when one jumps out in front of me... around here trees don't jump. When animals ie rabbits etc.. jump out I will go off the trail before running them over.

Old 05-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I guess it depends on how many jack rabbits there are in the area. It is possible to have so many that they need to be thinned out. Here in Idaho they were thinned out many years ago because we had so many that they were eating all of the crops and causing diseases among the animals. We had the Mud Lake bunny bash to solve the problem and the pictures got on the news and it was a PR nightmare.

I have to say that chasing it down to exhaustion with an atv, then killing it would have to be a little over the top for political reasons. And, here in Idaho, harassing any animal is illegal even if you don't kill it.

If you want to thin jack rabbits, use a rifle. It doesn't add to the anti ATV cause.

By the way; if anyone is wondering, jack rabbits are not something you would want to eat. You just leave them for the coyotes.

Old 05-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

What a bunch of tree huggin wimps. First of all, jack rabbits, prairie dog, skunks and coyotes are a neusence here and except for the coyotes, which have a season on them, you can kill them at will. I'm sure that killing them with an ATV is not what you would call "a leagle weapon", but it's a lot of fun (I'll leave the skunks alone). For those of you who say it is okay to chase them but not kill them, you're a bunch of hipocrits. Harassing animals is just as bad as running their little heads over, but if it makes you feel better knowing you left the poor little critter trembeling in a bush somewhere, I guess that's okay. I bet if a rabbit ran in front of you on the trail, 90% of you would swurve to hit it. It's the natural thing to do like a dog chasing a cat.

Old 05-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

Now we can places bets on how old Starky is. I guess 16.

EDIT: Looked at his pictures, he is not 16 but from the looks of it he is some army dude. Guessing 28 now.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: bbertram
Now we can places bets on how old Starky is. I guess 16.

EDIT: Looked at his pictures, he is not 16 but from the looks of it he is some army dude. Guessing 28 now.
Imature is imature, years dont matter even if your are 44.

Im a hunter too and if there is an over population I dont have any problem with a hunt to thin out wild life. Chasing them down and running them over is just a simple way to get sick kicks, He said it was "fun", case closed. I would think someone in the NDBA would have a greater respect on life.

P.S. Does JoAnna know you do this? I bet she would get pissed if you ran down one of those Emus!

Old 05-20-2004, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer

I am no tree hugger, and I don't care how many jack rabbits you run over. But it is stupid to tell the world about it.

We don't need the bad publicity.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Just one more person to provide the ammunition to those who want to tar us all with the same brush....i am a hunter....i do NOT chase animals on my atv....and i'll take you up on that bet....you have no right to say that 90% of us will swerve to hit a rabbit that jumps in front of our ATV...most of us are not like you....we respect the wildlife and do not harass it....and for those of you who half agree with him...no, it isn't ok to chase an animal for a couple of minutes...it's harassing wildlife.....i don't agree with it in any circumstance, but especially when there are so many out there looking for any excuse to portray outdoorsmen and women as barbarians...if it's not in season and you're not gonna eat it, leave it alone.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

I chased a dear once thats it, I'm not evil. Dear were made to run so I made him run.

Old 05-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Range Rover

I am not a tree hugger or a seal kisser.

What I am is responsible.

Guys like you and the others on here who chase deer, rabbits, and whatever else on your ATV's are the ones who will wreck this sport.
What is the point??

I see you're serving in our Armed Forces, and for that, I thank you and your Family for your help maintaining freedom for us civilians.

But that doesn't change my opinion that what you're doing is wrong.

Now, is it gonna hurt the jack rabbit population.....No.

But is it necessary? I would think not.

Therefore, when a tree hugger does come along and reads this post, it will only give them more of what they need to go to the government and take away what we all cherish very much; our right to ride.

And we ALL hate them. Stop running down jack rabbits, and start writing your congressmen to help us develop more trails. Don't give them ammo to take them away.

And for the love of god, if you're gonna do it (and nobody here can stop ya), don't blab about it. That's just stupid.

Quick Reply: My Grizzly ate a jack rabbit