Crash and burn

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004 | 02:14 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Crash and burn

Well over the weekend we decided to get out of the heat and head into the mountains to a place called ColdCreek, well 45mins into the ride I was loving the whole woods riding thing. Until we decided to venture out on to trails that none of use new where they went.

There was 4 of us YZF450 leading, scramy 400, 400ex, then me in the back. I stayed a ways back and was riding in the tail end of the dust. I could see the trail went down lightly then went back up making a nice 5 to 6 ft high jump. I could see the guys in front going up it as I was starting to go down the light part, the dust was light so I gased it (mid 4th) as I launched I could see the trail viered left and I was heading toward the trees. Upon landing, I locked the fronts then rears and was tring to control my slide away from a huge tree. While I was looking down at my left frt tire and the tree of death, I never looked in front of me. Next I felt a thump in my helmet and I was looking at dirt, once I sat up the KFX's swing arm and skids were looking right at me with the grab bar buried in dirt. I could not believe I went off because I do not remember being ejected. Once I flipped the quad over both frt wheels are egged and my wheels were pointing left as my bars were pointing all the way right. Steering stem is toast. I missed the tree but ended up hitting a stump with my rt front and a smaller bendable tree (which up rooted) with my lft front which stopped the KFX instantly throwing me and flipping the KFX endo style.

I am ok(thanks to my gear), have some nice welts on my thighs from the handlebars I think. Lesson learned is not to fly through the woods when you don't know where the trail goes.

Old 07-26-2004 | 02:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Crash and burn

Glad to hear your doing alright.

Old 07-26-2004 | 02:58 PM
Quad Patrol
Default Crash and burn

Wow, glad you are alright. From the sounds of it, could of been much worse. Can't speak enough of safety equipment. Good to hear you were wearing it. Did your helmet survive?

You did learn a valuable lesson on that ride, "Lesson learned is not to fly through the woods when you don't know where the trail goes " Get well soon[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Lt. Dan

Old 07-26-2004 | 03:17 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Crash and burn

Helmet survived, there is some bruising around my rt temple from where the padding compressed, rt shoulder of my chest protector is scrapped and cracked, and my rt forearm and elbow gaurd has a nice rip in it.

Old 07-26-2004 | 04:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Crash and burn

Glad you are OK. Good thing you posted, maybe someone will learn from your experience.
Gary

Old 07-26-2004 | 08:03 PM
Quad Patrol
Default Crash and burn

Gary, we can only hope that people will learn from FsT4WrD's unfortunate accident. That was quite an impact in the temple area. Without a helmet, would of been a different outcome[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Seems like the helmet and all the other equipment did their job. Before putting that helmet on though, I would contact the manufacturer, let them know what occurred. It might be alright on the outside, but the inside might not withstand another impact like that. Some manufacturers might also send you a free helmet in exchange for yours. So, they can evaluate it. I know, I would get a new one. Not worth trying your luck twice on the same helmet. JMO

Old 07-26-2004 | 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Crash and burn

Originally posted by: FsT4WrD
Helmet survived, there is some bruising around my rt temple from where the padding compressed, rt shoulder of my chest protector is scrapped and cracked, and my rt forearm and elbow gaurd has a nice rip in it.
Its a good thing you had padding to compress. Just think of the next thing in line to compress!