Stolen ATV

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen ATV

Well, I woke up Sunday morning at home to find the Sportsman 700 had disappeared. From a locked shed early evening the night before. While watching the Olympics two perpatrators snatched the 700. Three sheds (one of which contained the 700) and an enclosed trailer had all the locks cut off, then I noticed Sparky hadn't eaten his food, so don't count on dogs, may he rest in peace.

So, the 700 was recovered, yeppie. It seems after they snatched mine, they tried for the fourth atv that night and were foiled by a neighbor. The neighbor pursued them in his vehicle but lost them when entering a corn field. But later the dumb a$$es drove back past his house when he again gave chase. After a 2 mile chase they bailed from the stolen atv's to an awaiting vehicle and vanished. I retrieved the 700 from the police with minor damage, two torn CV boots on the same axle, and a broken ignition swtich. It had a full tank of gas before its midnight venture, and after inspection it still has 3/4 tank of gas, so they didn't ride to much.

So, now that I have learned a valuable lesson, I have purchased a 5/8"x 6'-0" Kryptonite cable and lock secured to a big a$$ eye bolt screwed into the floor of the shed. Plus, a second kryptonite 30'-0" cable running through the 700, John Deere garden tractor and two big a$$ eye bolts screwed into the floor of the shed. I still wasn't satisfied, so I purchased this, a MURS Alert Trail Monitoring System. You mount the wireless motion detector inside the shed preferably on the back wall facing the door, put the base station next to the bed. They say the tranmitter will work up to 4 miles under ideal conitions, well I don't have to go that far. The system is expandable to multiple base stations, multiple detectors, plus you can add a vehicle sensor beside the driveway which detects large metal objects, great for those long driveways which I have.

If they want it this time they will have to work for it. But, if it takes to long for them to cut the cables they better not turn around because the motion detector is silent to them but not me. There next visit is with Sig Sauer, my little buddy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stolen ATV

then I noticed Sparky hadn't eaten his food, so don't count on dogs, may he rest in peace.
they killed your dog

Old 08-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stolen ATV

that sucks,, at least you got it back... how did they kill the dog?

Old 08-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default Stolen ATV

bludgeoned

Old 08-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stolen ATV

that sucks, you gonna be able to press charges on them ??? I would do all i could to make an example of these people. Theft, animal murder, should be able to get them into a ton of trouble.

Old 08-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default Stolen ATV

The unfortunate thing is they were not able to apprehend the culprits. But I have a good idea who they are, you know how rumors travel in a small town. I have never had any problems with, nor did I ever know these people until now. I think one of the culprits has realized I am on to him, since I have followed him for the past 3 days based on the vehicle description given to me by my neighbor. When one is alone, may the interegations begin, it may sound redneckish, but what the hell.

Old 08-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stolen ATV

Man thats terrible, I am sorry to hear about the dog. I think I am going home this afternoon though and making a little more secure sleeping area for my Big Bear than just behind the house though, say locked up in the shed, with a long scrwe down metal eye bolt ( i figure 3 feet ought to do it ) through its dirt floor and a logging chain with a lock and a kyriptonite cable for good measure. If they can get through all that, at least i can say they had to work for it other than just go pick it up.

Old 08-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stolen ATV

That is horrid man, I can't believe they killed your dog. My heart goes out to you. I hope the scumbags rot in hell. What kind of dog was it?

Old 08-19-2004, 02:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default Stolen ATV

The insurance company has really been working with me although it was not an easy task. When I purchased the SP700 I physically went to my insurance man and stated I wanted it covered. Not a problem he replied, hahahaha. I seems that most, including my home owners insurance will not cover ATV's, period. But, I was able to put it under my business policy which I did, or you can get it exclusively. The real kicker was the insurance company wanted to see the check used to pay for the SP700. Thank GOD I put it on a VISA (so I could get the air miles, Thanks Capitol ONE), I called them and they faxed me a copy of the statement.

So three things to remember. Title the ATV or some form of official registration in your state (I did this when I purchased), second, double and triple check the insurance, personally go and talk with your rep., third, secure that ATV to something sturdy, then secure it again, I may actually get the alarm system manufacturered by Armedguard, motion detectors and/or some kind of alarm. Some say they park thier vehicles in front of the doors, that does not deter them. One of the others stolen that night did such, they just went to the back side of the shed and pulled the T1-11 siding off took out a couple 2x4's and rolled it out.

Old 08-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer
Default Stolen ATV

Oh, I forgot the most important, the fourth, save your proof of purchase, check, Visa statement, etc. in s safe place.

Quick Reply: Stolen ATV