any field entrance gate designs ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any field entrance gate designs ????

Hey folks, this may be an off the wall question but does anybody have any good designs for a gate to go into your feailds so you don't have to get off your atv to open and shut it. I absolutely hate to get get off my atv, open a gate, get back on, drive though, get back off, shut it, then get back on. Then have to go through the same stuff when I come back out. I would like to make a gate where I can just come and go without getting off. I've ruled out the traditional cattle gate with pipes across the ground because the ground is tooo rocky to dig in easily. Plus I have horses and I'm afraid one of them might break a leg in it. I am thinking of just some sort of free swinging gate I can push open with the atv that will still hold the animals in the feild. Any ideas are appreciated.

Old 09-01-2004, 02:22 AM
Range Rover

I believe they make automatic gate opener....that is solar powered....i think i saw in northern hydralics...

heres the link

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...ategoryId=1509

there pretty expensive around 500$ then another 120 for solar panel...

its just a thought......

but im sure with a little engineering....you could make something with and electric motor...and a wheel at the end of the gate for support.....

Old 09-01-2004, 03:15 AM
Eternal Rider
Building A Runway To Hell & Back!
The engine is the heart of an airplane, but the pilot is its soul. ~Walter Raleigh

You needs to build yer self some jumps on either side of the fence and make it fun!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: hellyeh
You needs to build yer self some jumps on either side of the fence and make it fun!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
EXACTLY

Old 09-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: hellyeh
Yup, that could work as long as the cows don't join in the fun.

I have a couple of gates that you can open from inside a pickup or from a horse. They are just regular aluminum gates but I built a double swing hinge set much like you see on doors leading into kitchens in resturants. To keep the gate closed there is a latch that is reliesed by gently bumping it with the pickup bumper or a loop hooked to this same system can be reached from a horse.

You have to learn to just bump the release with the pickup and then give it a little push to allow you to drive thru before the gate swings back shut. Too hard and the gate will rebound back closed before you get thru and hit the side of the pickup, too slow and it won't swing open far enough. Kind of Rube Goldberg but they have been in use for years. I did add some rubber from a truck mud flap to protect the pickups when the gate hits them.

Should be able to build a small gate using this same idea that would work well with an ATV.