Help! son put mixed gas in 4-wheeler

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! son put mixed gas in 4-wheeler

My son put boat gas in our 4-wheeler and his dad will have a fit. What can be done to remedy this? He drove it and now it won't leave 5th gear. Any advice would be appreciated. Trying to help him before dad finds out!

Old 10-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

take off the tank dump gas out put new gas in

Old 10-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

The gas won't hurt the ATV. 2 stroke mix burns clean. Thats how it burns in the boat after all. If it were straight gas in a 2 stroke that'd be different but all is well now. Whatever is going on with the tranny is unrelated.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: beamer2
My son put boat gas in our 4-wheeler and his dad will have a fit. What can be done to remedy this? He drove it and now it won't leave 5th gear. Any advice would be appreciated. Trying to help him before dad finds out!
wait, hes your son, and your son's dad will be pissed if he finds out? so you want to help your son before your son's dad finds out?

Old 10-31-2004, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

turn off the gas them disconect the line to the carb and put the line in another gas can and turn it on reserve. buy the way what is it

Old 10-31-2004, 10:55 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ubertrailblazer- I think it is a mom.

glenlivet is right, it isn't going to hurt nothing, it just might smoke a bit. The stuck in 5th gear thing is some other problem.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Theres an easy way to drain the tank, if thats what you decide to do.
On the bottom of the carb float bowl, there a hose, and a screw which opens a valve. Put the hose in a gas can, unscrew that screw, a few turns( dont unscrew it all the way), and turn the gas tank valve to either pri or if it doesnt have a pri position, then use res. That should drain the gas tank almost empty...add new gas and its good as new.
Hey things happen...dont be afraid to tell dad, this isnt a biggie. The tranny stuck in 5th is totally unrelated to the gas. If you rock the quad front and back, while shifting, it should make it back to neutral. Atv trannys need wheel motion to shift reliably.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:16 AM
Pro Rider

Let me elaborate a bit more. Boat gas, meaning gas that has been mixed with a good 2 stroke oil, is not in any way harmful to a four stroke ATV. If the ATV in question is a 2 stroke then it probably has an injector system for its oil and doesn't need a 'premix' gas. None the less, your mixed boat gas will not present any problem. It will be consumed without noticable smoke. Formulations at the proportion needed these days, usually about 50-1 pose no problem at all in assimulation. If the quad is a four stroke, no problem still. I doubt any smoke will be detectible. In fact some reccommend that 'top oil' meaning essentially 2 stroke oil, be added to the gas for four strokes normally. The mixed gas will make no difference at all. let it go through. You will never know it was there. If dad freaks out, he just doesn't understand motors. The kid did no harm. Rock the quad shut off to free the shifter. Don't worry about it. All is well.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Mixed gas, is actually leaner than pure gas, due to the oil content. If this is a two stoke, that could end up being harmfull,If the motor was borderline, lean running., and has oil injection. The best thing to do is tell dad, your son didnt mean to cause harm, and if something bad does happen, hes gonna be upset you couldnt or didnt tell him right away.
Ive told my wife and girls to let me know as soon as they know theres a problem. Whether they caused it or not. Its about respect, it was dads money that bought it, itll be dads money to fix it, it should be dads decision on how to procede.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is a Honda. Thanks guys for all the replies. Doesn't sound as severe as I thought it was! I thought he had locked up the engine! Good to hear it was nothing major. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Help! son put mixed gas in 4-wheeler