Rolling tool boxes/chest

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 11:24 AM
TIC
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolling tool boxes/chest

Hey guys, was wondering if any of you garage guru's have any less expensive tool chest /boxes in your garage that you would actually recomend? like you see in mechanics use that stand about 5 foot tall or so.
The kind like craftsman, snapon etc... With wheels.
Those flimsy walmart/kmart/pamida ones do not cut it!!!!! I learnt the hard way.

Old 11-17-2004, 11:41 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Wait untill craftsman goes on sale, good quality at a good price.

Old 11-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Most Craftsman tool boxes are made by Waterloo so If you see one of those boxes on sale it's the same thing.

I sold tools for over 10 years and there is a big difference in boxes. The biggest thing to consider is: Am I going to be rolling this box very far and/or over rough surfaces? The impact from rolling it and having a hole or airhose stop the box and the weight keep moving forward just kills the cheaper made boxes.

Most people at their home can get away with a less expensive tool box. I have a monster box at home but I used to turn wrenches for a living and was a shop owner so I needed a quality box. I rarely use any of the tools now but I never want to sell them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Hope that helps..............

Old 11-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Waterloo rolling workbench tool chest, and love it.

It has several tool drawers, and a work surface on top. Very very nice for working on the bikes. A set of tool drawer organizers will fit a vast array of tools in there in an organized and useable manner. A smaller hand-carry box fills out the toolkit nicely for bigger projects like the sandrail or cars. A coil on the side for an air hose is terrific too. I strapped a power bar to it, so I can plug in the power tools or light when needed.

They wind up scattered all over by the time I finish, but rolling them out there is very easy!

Old 11-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

We have a craftsman tool box and have had it for years...........still works real well. I think if I was going to buy another though, I'd go with snap on......they seem a little better built and also seem to roll real well.......

Old 11-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Range Rover

i have both craftsman and Mac. it all depends on how much you want to spend, look at costco

Old 11-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

My boyfriend is a Porsche/Chevy tech, and he won't have anything but Snap-ON.....but......geez!!! His toolbox alone cost more than my quad did!!! It only holds your tools!!! How can they cost that much?? My dad has always used Craftsman.....you might also check Matco, Cornwell and Harbor Freight............

Old 11-17-2004, 02:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check ebay too...........they have a ton of them(all different brands) on there.......maybe for cheaper prices too.........

Old 11-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Craftsman box I bought about 18 years ago. It has servedme well with one exception.

MY NEXT BOX WILL HAVE ROLLER DRAWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's an absolute PITA to open and close the non roller drawers when they are real heavy.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I have a Crafstman Ball Bearing Box. Love the thing. I wish I would have got a bigger one though. I would HIGHLY recomend that you opt for the ball bearing boxes

Quick Reply: Rolling tool boxes/chest