builing weird or wild cars/toys

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default builing weird or wild cars/toys

just wondering if anyone on here plays with oddball stuff, or builds there own 1 off creations? every year my friend and I build a new toy for the woodward dreamcruise here in lower michigan. its the biggest cruise in the world, held in augest every year. the trick with us is how cheap can we make a headturner for!
i'l talk of a few of them.
first one. A 65 corvette. it was our friends, and he spent over 20 grand just in parts. we modded it out, flairing all the fenders. removing all the vents, and going with 6 taillights, instead of 4. ( i know, modd a corevtte, are you knutz!!!) well, it was wrecked pritty good, so restoring was out of the rhelm. we won first place in the cobo hall voting on cars, in its catagory. 327 engine.
next year, it was a golf cart. got it out of a field on a farm, and went to work. streched it 2 feet, and made 57 rear fenders for it. added wood to it everywhere we could, even a dash and glovebox. woodied out a pickup bed to haul the cooler, and made a roll cage, with surf boards, 4 speakers, and a pull out sterio. custom made a hitch, and chopped up a motorcycle trailor to connect to it. added a seat to the trailor, for 1 extra rider. 55 harley exhaust, 77 honda suspencion. 65 corvette tail lights, and custom harley headlights. 2 tone paint. made the woodward video 2 years streight on that one. total in money to complete, under 1 grand. offered over 3 for it the next day, but could not part with it.

this one is my favorite!!!
traded a 62 austin martin princess limo for a paint job on an elcamino. the limo was rough to say the least. swapped out origional drivetrain for olds front wheel drive 350. this limo was made of wood framing, with aluminum skin. tough to work on. wheel base was 250 inchs. so, we made the desition, and out came the sawsall! i started cutting, and in 1 day, had it down to a 90 inch wheelbase! a few days later, the body was connected, and frame welded up. collecting all steel, wood, and material needed through friends, we started to get it running. well, now it is a 4 seat convertable, ( full time convertable) with no doors, but custom openings to look good. again its 2 tone, but the body never made a finish do to time for the last cruise. i learned alot about interiors, taking that on.( i am no expert, but was proud of my finished job) kept the origional bumpers, and front grill, so the signes of what it origionally was is still there.
the looks we got on this was amazing. of the hundreds of people who stoped us that day to ask, only 1 knew what it was. he shocked us, couse he instantally got the year, name, and even knew it wasa princess!

next year, i am going to take my v65 magna engine out of my old bike( it runs great, but the bike is old) and install it into the golf cart. i'l add wheely bars, and some wider slicks. maybe, if i can figure it out, add a wing setup, and a pointed front end, ( kind of a cross breed 57 chevy, superbird, lol)
we have done all this on the limo for under 2000.00 dollars. this includes all material, wheels, interior, engine, steel, paint, wood, sawsall blades( 60.00 worth, lol.) and welding wire.
we have done all this in a 2 car garage, with a simple 300.00 dollar welder, body tools, and a bench vise, lol.
god, how nice it would be to have real tools, like breaks, tig welder, hoist, and so on...

if someone can walk me through how to post picks, i have quite a few, lol.

so, what creations have you's made in your garage?

sorry so long!

Old 01-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Thoes things sound so weird and COOL. I always wanted to put a street bike engine into a quad or turn a street bike into a quad but i don't think I have enough know how (or money) and I don't want to start and leave it half finished. Anyway keep up the good work.

Old 01-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Yes you need to get some pictures up!

My projects have been more conventional, the coolest one I was involved in was a 1968 Corvair I helped a friend with. Lowered suspension, set up for SCCA stuff, rack & pinion steering, and mid engine 8000 rpm roller cam 327. Thing is unbelievable to drive.

I did Fairlanes and Broncos and trucks and a sandrail and working on a Mustang Cobra now, boring stuff compared to what you did! Although my lawnmower is getting tired and I know where I can get an R-1 engine.........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

shady, i would not call working on the rides you stated as being boring, lol. i wish i had the coin to work on such things! we only do the toys we do couse we find them in fields, or swap for them on work. the corvette was my friends, and he held it totaled for 20 years. saved alot of money, and finally got it to us to fix up.
i always said, i wish i could afford to put money into these things to add custom rims, better body work, or just the custom things to make them a hole lot better.
in my garage right now, i have a 78 spitfire. i tore it apart, and have a 302 ready to be rebuilt to go in it. money is the only reason why it does not have a 300 hp engine, with the custom front end parts on it, running strong.
i got it running, for simply helping a man clean out his junk yard. it took me about 8 hours to organize his stuff, and he threw me the keys. another hour, and it was running just in time to yank the engine for a 302, and strip the body down to a bare frame. slowly looking for a 92-96 ford independant rear end setup to mod to go in it. anyone have a spare out there they need something for, lol?

Old 01-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

by the way, how do i get my picture gallery from yahoo? i have one with offroad pictures on it, but cant remeber the sight it is in. i can scan pictures into it, and put them here, if i can remember it, lol.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

i was thinking of putting a quad engine into this 80s DINGO go kart we have...

Old 01-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

i have tried to put my pictures in an msn document thing. so, i will give a link. can someone tell me if it worked?
if so, then these are a few pics of the limo in progress, without the finished hood, or stained or varnished dash. no front end in these also. i will tyry to get more up, along with the vette, and golf cart.
http://www.msnusers.com/mywebdocuments.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

mich send them to speedy2222@gmail.com i will host them for you..

Old 01-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

hey speedy, my link did not work? how do i make a link for my pictures through msn? i have the pictures, and it says they can be viewed through that sight above.