Carpenters help............

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005 | 04:50 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Carpenters help............

Well guys, I'm thinking of a job working for a carpenter. The ad in the paper said "Wanted: Framers"......I have worked with a couple carpenters through the summer, and over breaks and stuff......I don't near know a lot about carpentery.........I know some though. My question is Do you think I'd be able to do this job?? I'm kinda worried about calling, because I don't want to make a fool of myself.......and what do I say.....uhh I have little experience, do you want me?? Or do they try to teach you(I'm a very fast learner).......and do they know that this is how people become as good as they are, they have to start somewhere.......Anyways, give me what you'd do........

Also, I'm starting to buy my own tools now.......and just making sure I have everything that I'd need for this job........so what do you think I should have?? I just bought my second hammer the other day(First one is a metal 22oz estwing........and second(new) is a 22oz wooden handle(hickory) fat max stanley hammer).......I also have a speed square, carpet knife, framing pencil, belt and two "pockets", and a 25' tape measure. Anything else that I need?? Name everything that you think I'd need to work for a contractor(framing).......

I know how to stick frame......I mean, its not that hard, a board every 16".......and nail it to the top and bottom plate.......I don't however know how to do windows or corners.......

Old 01-12-2005 | 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

the reality is most sights have one man with a licance, and alot of men working on 1. so, i would call, and tell them your wanting to learn all there is on the trade. tell them what you can do, and you feel you can catch on fast. heck, at the least, they will get ya cheaper, and a good laborer to boot.
a few questions though. hows your math? blueprints, can ya read them? what about a tape measure, can you read it? is this for a rough carpender, or finish? got a good back? ya need a good back, lol

Old 01-12-2005 | 04:59 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Nobody was ever born knowing how to do everything. Call them and tell them you have some experience. Maybe that's kind of what they're looking for. When I first went to work for a counter top shop, I had no experience doing it. Grew up with a Dad that had a wood shop, so I'd used the tools quite often. Six months later I was shop foreman. Have since changed careers. It's funny, 20 years later, when I remodeled the kitchen, I made the tops myself. The wife went shopping, and was gone for about an hour and I had them done. She couldn't believe they were done so fast and turned out so well. Hello, I used to do this for a living! Good luck!

Old 01-12-2005 | 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

If your not working right now what have you got to lose? I took several jobs right agter I got out of school that I didn't know a thing about. Some worked out some didn't. Just be up front with the dude, show respect and let him know your serious about wanting to learn. The way I look at is if he hires you great if not then it wasn't meant to be plus he's passing up on a good hand.

Old 01-12-2005 | 05:34 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

Alright thank guys........I realize that I wouldn't get paid like the others who know what they are doing. That is just fine with me, I enjoy working, and am just happy to help out. I can work hard(grew up on a farm).........so that shouldn't be a problem, and I have a pretty good back too. Shingling gets to my back after about 2 days, but I think you never get used to that!! I can read a tape measure just as good as the next guy I guess(unless there is more to it than I think)......My math is adequate(might take me a few more seconds at first, but I just need to get back in that mode........)......and I haven't ever had the oppurtunity to read blue prints, so I can't really say I know much about that area. Is there a website I could kinda learn a bit about them?? This is for a framing carpenter, that I think is building buildings(if that makes sense) and some houses. This also could be for another guy who is building those large apartment complexes(3 story).......

Also, what do you think would be the going pay with someone like me??

And about the tools.......anyone got anything to give about that area??

Tahnks a bunch guys!!!

Brad

Old 01-12-2005 | 06:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Good attitude!!

You will be fine. The tools you have will be a fine start. Maybe pick up a chalkline, a nail puller, level, skilsaw and some extra pencils.

With your attitude you will do fine. Keep an open mind,,,,and dont be scared to ask questions.

If you have common sense and show up to work everyday (on time), you will be 2 up on the rest of the labor market.

Around here you would start around $10,,,,and assuming you hung in there and learned quick you would slide up to the $15 range in no time.

Maybe do a little framing research online to help understand the basics.

Old 01-12-2005 | 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

I have been framing for three years now and i know alot about it so if you ever need and help or advice then p.m. me and i will try to answer you asap. we have two crews working and their are guys that have some expirence and their starting wage is 11.00 an hour. So if i were you i would call them to see if they want you.

As for tools how about a chalk line, a chiesl, Allen wrenches, lose the 25foot tape and get a 35. i used to have one but realized that you need a 35foot tape and a 25footer wont work.

If you are going to get a nail gun. I recommend the Duo Fast Main frame, the paslode 3200, and for metel the paslode positive placement.

hope this all helps
Gib

Old 01-12-2005 | 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

as for pay. well, i tell my guys, i am teaching you a trade that will last you the rest of your lives. that in itsself is worth anything they offer. i start my guys at 10 an hour. that is high in my market here though. so, if they say your underqualified, then tell them your willing to work for 3 months at 7 an hour. then, if you proved yourself, they can offer you there standard starting wage. i know its not alot to start, but if i was speaking to a young man wanting to learn a trade, and he lowballed me just to get on the job sight, i would take him up on it. my best employee ever did just that. 6 years later( about a year ago) he worked with me on going on his own. i am proud to say, his first year, he grossed 130,000.00. i am proud to have been part of his future!

Old 01-12-2005 | 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

mich660griz where are you framing?What are you building?Have you ever heard of MasterCraft
carpentry?

Bradracer18 With your positive attitude i would hire on the spot.My boss has been sending me
at least two guys a week to try.Most quit because its to hard.The others just arent worth what
they ask.

As far as tools go
toolbags
tape
hammer
chalkline
knife
I buy craftsman hammers because they are returnable when you break them
The steel handles have been known to cause tendenitis in your elbow and wrist try to avoid.

New guys start with us at ten,Minor experiance we tell them let us see what you know.
Get a two foot sqare and learn how to use it youll be better off in the long run

Good luck Soory so long

Old 01-12-2005 | 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

i almost forgot a cats paw (nail pull)

Gib

Quick Reply: Carpenters help............