potato guns

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005 | 12:39 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default potato guns

i have fired a few different versions of potato guns,,,,,very fun way to get rid of the extra stuff in the garden

I saw a documentary a few years back featuring a bunch of people that had been injured while using these things.

Be very careful when using these things,,,,,,,they can explode in your hands.

Old 01-13-2005 | 03:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default potato guns

I didn't know they were illegal, heck I live back in the sticks so the law doesn't care if we build them as long as we're not killing each other. We had one man build a six barrel rig that was suppose to fire all six at once. Most of the time only three or four would go of. I got into them because I've always messed with black powder rifles and it works on the same principle. I can't remember what show it was but on TLC they showed some town that had a compition each year with these guns. The ones they used were huge and some used stuff like compressed nitrogen to fire water melons over a mile. Everyone is right though, be careful. I got some pretty good flash burns one a few of mine.

Old 01-13-2005 | 10:30 PM
Range Rover
Default potato guns

hey guys, here's the easy and much safer way to do one of these, i built one for a total of $20 and a half hour's worth of work, it uses compressed air, NOT PROPANE OR HAIRSPRAY. 3' black polycarbonate tubing (3")- $4, 4' black 1.5 inch tubing ($2), (1) 3" cap ($3), (1) 3" to 1.5" reducer ($3), (2) 1.5" pipe thread adapters $2, one 1.5 inch pvc ball valve $8, one tire valve for car wheels. glue cap on tube with hole for valve, pull valve thru, glue reducer on other end with thread adapter, sharpen one end of 1.5" tube to cut potatoes or apples, glue thread adapter on other end of 1.5" tube, let glue dry, screw valve to adapter ends, mine turned out 7 feet long, close valve, pump to 100lbs max for safety, point far away from anything living, open ball valve fast, oh a push tube is needed to put the potatoe down to the bottom of the barrell, around my house i've only shot it across the yard, but when we go out to the desert or the beach or lake it'll shoot it out of sight for me, for anybody even thinking about doing one like this i like that it does'nt use explosive power= safer, and don't be a retard and shoot it at anyone or anything valuble, it's a big toy but can be dangerous, so behave if you build one of these, josh......

Old 01-13-2005 | 10:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default potato guns

I had the back blow off one and shoot me in the side while I was holding it, felt great[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

"
so we just used propain and oxigen
I tryed an acetylene/oxy mixture once. It sucked and left black flakes all over the combustion chamber, and prolly a little in my lungs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2005 | 10:58 PM
Range Rover
Default potato guns

if your looking for a tad bit heavier ammo, what you do is take a old D battery and wrap in papertowl shop rag so it fits nice and snug. dont use duct tape to shim things up, it tends to bind up and blow flames out the holes that you drill for your wires for the ignitor and then your left with 2 bare wires. like said before, be safe and dont do anything stupid

Old 01-13-2005 | 11:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default potato guns

I built one at work a few years back out of steel pipe. A 2"sch.40 pipe about 2 feet long for the barrel with a piece of 4" sch. 40 pipe for the combustion chamber. Capped off the back end of the 4" pipe with a piece of 1/4 inch plate with a 1" pipe nipple welded on the end. Screwed a 1" ball valve on the pipe nipple for introducing the propellant. Drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the end plate for the flash hole. Here's the operating instructions!!

1. Load spud into the barrel.
2. Put a piece of tape over the flash hole.
3. Start an Oxy-acetylene torch and establish a neutral flame.
4. Snuff out the torch but leave the valves on (so unignited gas is still flowing from the torch).
5. Open ball valve and stick torch tip into valve.
6. Count to 4 mississippi and close ball valve.
7. Light torch and wave it over the tape covered flash hole.
8. Watch spud leave cannon at approximately 1,000,000 miles an hour.

With this cannon, spuds are shot so far you can't see where they hit (depending on how many mississippis you leave the torch in the valve for). As with any firearm, you have to use a lot of common sense when you fire this thing. There is no way in hell you could hang onto this thing when you use it. We have it clamped in the vice on the welding truck at work while we fire it!!!! It's so loud you need to wear earplugs when you shoot!! Too much fun!

Old 01-13-2005 | 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default potato guns

My bro has one and its huge. Fires really far. He already blew the end cap off of it. It hit him in the leg. No one got hurt, hahaha. My uncle made one that shoots marbles. Yea, he's crazy. He has one that shoots cron cobs too, fun stuff. haha.

Old 01-14-2005 | 08:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default potato guns

I tryed an acetylene/oxy mixture once. It sucked and left black flakes all over the combustion chamber, and prolly a little in my lungs
yeah thats acetylene for ya
i prefer to weld with propain, it doesnt smeel as much, it does leave black flooties in the air. an acetylene flame is hotter though

Old 01-14-2005 | 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Default potato guns

With the one I built, I shot sweet corn and unripe (soft ) field corn, half an ear at a time, seals tight, the juice lets it slide out good, and flies about as far as anything else I've tried. One time we had a guy go out on a lake and saw who could get them into the boat. ( yes, a lot of beer was involved, and a couple of guys got knocked out of the boat ).

Old 01-15-2005 | 08:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default potato guns

ahhahahahaha i have planing on making one of those for a wile but never got around to it. i have evrything i need i realy should try! ahahahaha 95wolv your nut's ! that must have bin a keg per person party ay?

Quick Reply: potato guns