625 ATV Riders killed... Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 625 ATV Riders killed... Is this true?

Thank you jim,
A stronger organization needs to be built representing the ATV'ers. Safety must be key #1. Please go visit the thread under kids atvs "kids atv's size wise" and see the discussions there. How do we pull it all together into one operation? People are getting hurt and killed on atv's in huge numbers, that is true, what is also a fact is that these are dumb accidents caused by lack of training and knowledge.

Those of us with more experience must learn how to reach out to those with less and apss it on. Those with less must learn how to listen to us with more. We all need to get our ego out of it and make our sport better.

REALLY, want to hear all your thoughts!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2005, 06:05 AM
Pro Rider

I've already made my statements on this topic, but if any of you decide to start some sort of organization to start resolving this, count me in!

Old 02-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

Pendejo,
We need to hear them again and again so more people read them. People come and go in this forum and new folks join all the time. I am learning more all the time myself. When enough people raise there hand some can be done. We need hands raised saying I will help.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Range Rover

Rob, Unfortunately the anti-ATVer's interest is in doing away with the ATV, not whether people get injured or killed. Stats involving people killed or injured only serve to support the anti-ATV argument. If no one was killed, their argument would be about noise, envrionment, et al. It will ALWAYS be something. Kids injured or killed are a separate subject and should be addressed within local ATV organizations and with PARENTS; you can't legislate non-involved parents. In my mind its attachment to the ATV picture at large is insular.

Each state is different and unfortunately lines can almost be drawn between Red and Blue states. Certainly western states with a lower population density have a different set of problems than an east coast state. It's unfortunate Blue states tend to have as a base, people that could be classed at elitists in their views of the environment and are unwilling to compromise. The problems ATVers face in these states is much more difficult. I happen to be a compromiser. Generally speaking, I believe there is room for everyone to enjoy activities that interest them, but each has to be willing to give a little to get a little. Unfortunately, and as the battle arises, the anti-ATVer don't see it the same way, and therein lies our difficulty.

There are lots of ways to get involved, but experience suggests the best way is through people with a vested interest; dealers, manufactures, All Terrain Vehicle Association (ATVA / http://www.atvaonline.com/), and local clubs. We all need to keep abreast of bills concerning ATVs at the state or national level and insure others are made aware of the intended consequences of these bills. For example, if you hear of a local or state bill you might stop in at the dealer and ask owner or manager if he/she is aware and does he support/not-support and why. You can also ask how you can help. Touching base with ATVA and bringing the issue up on this and other forums - with "how to" information included - is an additional way to become involved. One more thing...pick your battles. Do not expend a lot of energy on an issue with little or no consequence. Save it for the big ones then go to the mat. Rants will not work. Stick to the facts and present them in a logical and informed way.

Once again, I'm getting way too verbose... Jim

Old 02-05-2005, 02:57 AM
Trailblazer

wonderfully written Jim,

From this thread and the other under kids quads. I am learning alot. I will be doing something to protect our rights and now have a much clearer picture. I do understand that it is the eviromentalists who are our biggeast advesary. And we need to rally our numbers. Yes there are many orgs who help with the advancement of ATV's but the key word here is many (fragmented). Each has a few members and as you said you need to pick your battles, thats not even any good if you cant muster the troops. when we see postings like this everyone basically agrees yet so few do anything. Run some basic numbers. 10,000 members at $40 per and you have 400K to work with. That actually isnt alot of money but a lot of good could be done. Soon I will be visiting as many other orgs as I can to get more info but someone has to step up and get us all organized. In these forums we are all just preaching to the choir!!