625 ATV Riders killed... Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 625 ATV Riders killed... Is this true?

I hope this link comes out, articler showin fatality and accident reports.. Wonder how this stacks up to Automobile Statistics..

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050128/D87SR6MO1.html

Old 01-28-2005, 03:20 AM
Quad Patrol

Don't know how it compares, as far as ratios. But it does give the "other side" the ammunition they need to try and kill our sport.

Here's the article link:

News article on 2002 atv accidents

And, Welcome to the forum[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

(Bangs head against wall)

This is pure crap. "Wow! Look how many people died! Most evar!!!!111"

Do you see how they "fudge" the numbers? Accidents increase as the number of ATVs out there increase! Imagine that! I'd be willing to bet there are more car accidents now than there were in say, 1950...

I really wish they'd to an honest comparison of ATV deaths vs number of ATVs riding around the country. That would give a true percentage of deaths vs number of machines. Now, I hate math, but this would not be that hard to accomplish. Simply stating the number of deaths increases shows nothing when you don't have a number of machines to compare it to.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

To tell you the truth I lost sleep last night after hearing this on the radio. I just bought my 3rd ATV. I beleive it's just like anything else. There are certan people who have no business on one. Most did not have a helmet on. 1 out of three were children riding adult size ATV's. One accident last year involed the death of 5 children riding one ATV at a birthday party and were riding along a highway when a drunk women hit them . I still dont feel very good about this.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Range Rover

"The Consumer Product Safety Commission Show that 621 were killed in 2002 the most ever". "Figures for 2003 are incomplete". About 33% of the injured and dead since 1982 have been children under 16. It went on to say that young children don't have the cognitive skills, size or strength to safely drive these vehicles. The CPSC estimated 6.2 million atv's were in use in 2003. They did not say how many were alcohol related deaths. I would not stop riding because of these statistics. It all boils down to common sense. lol

Old 01-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: nubbin
It all boils down to common sense. lol

Exactly! I will say that 625 people is alot, but 1 statistic of how many people died means nothing. According to them, 6.2 million ATV's were in use, with 625 deaths related to ATV's. This means that approximately 1 in every 10,000 ATV's had a hand in the death of someone. This is just another statistic though, that means jack **** to me. Using numbers to regulate ATV use is not the way we are going to resolve the problem. It is a good way to see the problem, but not to resolve it. The government can't do anything about it either. Sure, they can implement new laws and regulations, but ultimately it boils down to YOU and YOUR ACTIONS, not the ATV or anyone else. WE, AS ATV RIDERS NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, not the government or the CPSC. We all know there is a problem, we all have seen people doing some stupid things before. It is our responsibilty to take action to reduce these accidents. I've been thinking about this alot, different ways to regualte ATV use that the government could use, and I just don't see any of it working. The way I see it, eventually it's going to come down to us having two choices. We either do anything we can, parent, lecture, b1tch, moan and groan until our point comes across to whoever you need to get it across to, or we lose ATV's altogether.

Wow, I'm done ranting now.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

this is great, right here, "New estimates from the Consumer Product Safety Commission show that 621 people were killed in 2002, the most ever". but this is where it gets good, "Tim Buche, president of the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America, an industry group, touted statistics showing the injury rate among riders of four-wheel ATVs dipped an estimated 6 percent from 2001 to 2003". so, more people are dying because more people are riding, but the death to atv rider went down 6%?!?!?! whats wrong with this?

Trending Topics

Old 01-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks RescueDiver!

For posting that link that works.

Most of the atv,s in West Texas are used for ranch work. There is also an influx of hunters bringing thier atv,s to the deer leases with them. I cannot recall any fatal accidents that I have ever been aware of in this area. That just struck me as way out of porportion. Wonder what the ratios are to kids riding bikes, driving cars, etc.

Hey anyway thanks for the reply, btw how do you post a link.

thanks

bob

Old 01-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Quad Patrol

TallTexun, Your Welcome[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

To post a link, go to the top of the "reply" screen and you will see under the "Message Text" where a "http" button is located. Click on the appropriate one, then, "paste" your link in there and hit "ok". Then, on the next box, type in what the link is, or however you want to address it. Then, hit the "ok" button again. Then walla, it should appear in your message. rescue

Old 01-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: moldycheese
this is great, right here, "New estimates from the Consumer Product Safety Commission show that 621 people were killed in 2002, the most ever". but this is where it gets good, "Tim Buche, president of the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America, an industry group, touted statistics showing the injury rate among riders of four-wheel ATVs dipped an estimated 6 percent from 2001 to 2003". so, more people are dying because more people are riding, but the death to atv rider went down 6%?!?!?! whats wrong with this?
It says the INJURY ratio went down. Not the DEATH ratio. All you have to do is read the threads on this forum and others, to see the lack of respect for this sport. People act like atvs should be operated as they see fit and NOT for what, they were designed for. That is, traversing different kinds of terrain, in a controlled state. Not traveling as fast as you can, on every type of terrain out there, in every type of environment. People ride with more then one rider, they drink on them, they speed on them, they operate them on public roads, (where not legal) kids operate a quad bigger then they should, I could go on.
Bottom line is, riders, parents and the industry are not taking care of the problem themselves[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] And, when this happens, sooner or later, the Government steps in and passes laws, in the hopes of doing it. Which of course, sends a lot of people into a frenzy. And where does the government get their information from? From statistics that we just read. Of course, statistics can be manipulated to show, what you want them to show.

Quick Reply: 625 ATV Riders killed... Is this true?