exhaust guys, for trucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust guys, for trucks

need to locate a full exhaust for my truck. hedders back. want true duels, no catback. anyone know of a place to look. been to all the main exhaust company,s,, and they all have catback systems.
2001 dodge 1500 4x4, 5.9 ltr

Old 03-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's against federal laws to modify the exhaust before tha Cat. You can't legally add a true duel exhaust. Plus being an OBD2 system it won't run right, Power would be down and the ck engine light would always be on.

Personally I don't have $25K to pay the fine for Emisions system tampering.

Old 03-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Chris142
It's against federal laws to modify the exhaust before tha Cat. You can't legally add a true duel exhaust. Plus being an OBD2 system it won't run right, Power would be down and the ck engine light would always be on.

Personally I don't have $25K to pay the fine for Emisions system tampering.
thats because you live in Calif. its completly differnt. you might have to buy headers seprate as well as the high flow cats and then get a cat back exaust, look into Hooker headers, or contact Borla or Flowmaster for a full exhaust. oh, and pick up one of the Truck Magazines and theirs ton's of adds for parts in it. good luck

Old 03-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

thanks fatty, i am looking into just getting the headers, a form of catback, and adding a second catalitic converter, and going duels from there. hoping to keep building on the tourke, and bumping the pny,s.

california is that bad??? i could cut off the ehaust, throw on some thrush mufflers, and noone would ever even know, lol. you never have to have the truck checked in michigan. now i understand why so many company,s brag there systen can even pass california,s laws, lol!

Old 03-20-2005, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

i looked at hookers, and they have a set of shorties, that can bolt up the stock y pipe. then, i could go back with a flowmaster linking into duels running out the sides. the shorties would cost around $320.00 shipped. not bad!!!
the exhaust from flowmaster will cost around $450.00 shipped. they are with the 50 series mufflers, witch are suppost to add more tourke, witch is what i am looking for.
this setup, according to there graphs, should add 25 ft lbs of tourke and 18 hp for the hedders, and around 15 ft lbs of tourke, and 20 hp for the exhaust. can help me pull my camper better!

why no aftermarket y pipe though? if i could just buy a mandrel bend y pipe, it would be exectable.

any idea,s where?
thanks

Old 03-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: 86LT250RFatty
Originally posted by: Chris142
It's against federal laws to modify the exhaust before tha Cat.
thats because you live in Calif.
Wrong![b]FEDERAL[b] law covers all 50 states. We can have headers and such but they must be approved by C.A.R.B. After adding the Headers you still must go into a single exhaust system. DOES NOT MATTER WHAT STATE! This is why you can't buy a duel exhaust system for this truck.

You can go with a 3 inch or 4 inch system if you like which will flow as good or better than a duel system.

The trucks computer simply will not work correctly with a duel exhaust.

Old 03-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

i just got gibson cat back for my truck, seems better, has a nice tone, but not at all loud or annoying, like flowmasters, or other cheapo brands. i plan on getting JBA header, with bigger down pipes to support, my new found friend.....THE WHIPPLE....

now whats a whipple.....

ah its a nice thing called a supercharger, which adds the good part of +120hp on the dyno, im trying to build a 10 second ranger, lmfao, without a motor swap....

seriously dont cut the cats OBS2 wont pass inspection, and you will always have a check engine light on, which is annoying. just get some cat backs, and GOOD headers, not junky ones that make it sound greased out like hill billy red neck mobile style....

v581

Old 03-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

chris, i appreciate the idea of a 3 inch exhaust. i hope i did not misstate my idea,s when i posted. i have no thoughts of eliminating my catilitic coverter. my thought was to run true duels, with adding 2 converters to it. they sell them for my truck for under $100.00 each. of corse the sencors would mess with me, but i figure run the sencers off of 1, and plug the others hole. this way allowing new hedders, and a true duel exhaust from the hedders back. i know see noone offers this. so, i am now looking at hedders, going into a y pipe, then out to duels. but, noone makes ay pipe for my truck, with mandrel bends. so, i am becoming forced to have hedders, a duel exhaust, and the crappy bent up y pipe, with tons of wrinkles in it, lol. seems the y pipe will give so much turbilance, that the rest of the system will be useless.

vinson. a 10 sec ranger. with good gas milage to boot!!! lmao!!! would love to see it! got to love the supercharger systems out now. have you seen the mini supers??? man, nice to keep it all under the hood with one, and a 1 inch plate running fuel injection. close the hood, and other than the winning, noone knows what ya got! you can get 7 to 12 lbs boost out of a mini, with under 3 grand in the fuel injection and all.

i am in the process of starting to build my 302. i am shoving it into a spitfire. gunna call it the cobra killer, lmao! i am looking into a mini supercharger to add a little extra umph, while keeping my clearance on the hood.
i will look into a way of having a y pipe made from someone with a mandrel bender. noone seems to have one in my area.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

i was just jokeing about a 10 second ranger. but these mods listed will be getting me pretty close to 12-13

Whipple supercharger
Larger y-down pipes
Gibson cat back
DZK underdrive pulley
flex a' lite electric fan
JBA headers
IAT, throttle body, and HWB MODS

its too bad i have the slushbox auto tranny [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

oh well i guess 300hp in a ranger wont be too shabby when im all done, and coupled with my powertrax locker, 31x10.5 all terrains the truck already is a good offroader.

i plan to be doing a 6 inch suspension lift, with a 3 inch body lift, and Maxxis 35" creepy crawlers.

i really want to stick with this truck its been good to me, and i want to be good to it, rather put money it in then sell it, you all probley think im a little crazy, but heck its going to be fun seeing a lifted ranger, burn the ricers.

v581

Old 03-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

i understand completly. heck, i am stuffing a v8 into a spitfire, lol. on top of that, i modded the crap out of a golf cart, and am now putting a 150 hp v4 honda motor in it, lol. to love a certain ride, regardless of what others think of it, only matters to the owner~!

Quick Reply: exhaust guys, for trucks