Building jumps

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005 | 07:13 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Building jumps

Okay, I'm going to be building a jump soon, nothing too big, only got a little bit of land and a limited supply of dirt. I was wondering if I make the jump 3 feet high, how long should it be? There will be about a 15 foot gap, then the landing. How long should the landing be. Is there any formula on how long it should be for how high it is? Thanks for any help.

Old 06-12-2005 | 08:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Building jumps

well i build bike jumps all the time so i suppose it would be the same

first of all:

u need to make sure there will be enough distance b4 the lip so u can have enough speed to clear the gap

dont build a jump to big for ur abilities

make sure the landing is for sure wider then the lip, it doesnt have to be that much wider but still enough to get the point. it should also be at less of a pitch then the lip as well

if its in the woods, make sure there are no branches in the way (last jump i made, i got clipped by a low flying branch[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]lol)

and make sure theres enough area to slow down after the lip

the jump can be any height u want it to be, the taller the lip and landing the higher u'll go, if u build foot tall lip u wont go very high so the hieght of ur jump will affect how much air u get.

when ur done building it make sure u pack the dirt good and dont have to much fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2005 | 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Building jumps

And make sure you put it at a low point where there is a lot of water after it rains so when you land you can run in a big puddle of mud
Just my 2 cents

oh yea XtremeSkier you get a 100 on you building jumps test. HOOAH

Old 06-13-2005 | 03:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Building jumps

Originally posted by: ridinsmooth
And make sure you put it at a low point where there is a lot of water after it rains so when you land you can run in a big puddle of mud
Just my 2 cents

oh yea XtremeSkier you get a 100 on you building jumps test. HOOAH
thats a great point to, it sux having to wait for wet dirt to dry, another thing to add to that could be make sure its in a area where it gets sun to, ive built jumps in the woods and they can take awhile to dry

and yeah ik how to make a jump lol, ive built so many bikin, none for my quad tho, too much work to build a jump for a quad w/just a shovel and dirt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2005 | 05:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Building jumps

yeah I was just messing with yall but yeah that is a good point. especially if you have some mud in front of your ramp and when your about to hit ramp you are slowed down by the mud and you cant make the full jump that would really hurt It almost happend to me