BULLMASTIFF PUPPY

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BULLMASTIFF PUPPY

cool looking pup!!

is he a bullmastiff or an english mastiff??

Old 06-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bing
cool looking pup!!

look at the tittle of the thread [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: MnFriesen
cool looking pup!!

look at the tittle of the thread [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I did....

bullmastiffs grow to about 110-130 lbs

the picture says 200lbs,,,,which would be typical of an english mastiff

either he is cornfused,,,,or he plans on overfeeding the pup till it hits 200lbs
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-29-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MnFriesen
cool looking pup!!

I did....

bullmastiffs grow to about 110-130 lbs

the picture says 200lbs,,,,which would be typical of an english mastiff

either he is cornfused,,,,or he plans on overfeeding the pup till it hits 200lbs
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

yea i think your right, my friend has a 2 English mastif's, ones full grown and is 215lbs. Bull Mastiff's are alot smaller. still a big dog, but not as big as the english

Old 06-30-2005, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

you can probably skip the obedience training with the bull mastiff. As a previous owner of one, I can tell you that they are one of the most naturally intelligent, obedient, and loyal breeds. Mine was gentle with my child, later a rabbit and kittens. She was only aggressive when threatened, protecting or commanded. She was never trained to attack or threaten, she just seemed to know. She considered the full moon a threat, along with any stranger. Their size is imposing to any intruder, and usually this trait repels most. When attacking or defending, the mastiff is adept at using the size advantage. Mine would face head on, with her front legs spread to the side. I think this was a sucker play for on comers, because she could make a grab, and in a quick backstep, toss a german shepard with the leverage gained. This feat was joyfully viewed when my neighbors dog was, um, in season and had some visitors. Although I didn't, I was more than confident that my two year old could play safely in the yard. Any dog that wasn't deterred by the toss was cowered by the ability of a mastiff to phisically lift themselves out of a throat hold and return it from a standing position. They are an impressive breed. Treat your dog well, and it will be returned.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

cool looking pup!!

Hes a bullmastiff. The english mastiffs are naturally bigger and tap out over 200lbs but many bullmastiffs have been bred to be large as well. Most males tap out at around 150-160 or so. Most of the bullmastiffs we looked at who sired pups were around 175lbs. but this pups father was larger than that. Our neighbor used to have one that got up to 163 pounds at 11 months! But they had to sell him as he was an inside dog and he kept knocking over stuff - yes I know they were dumb to buy a bullmastiff for inside. They didn't keep in touch with the new owner so we don't know how big he ended up being.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jamesNC
you can probably skip the obedience training with the bull mastiff. As a previous owner of one, I can tell you that they are one of the most naturally intelligent, obedient, and loyal breeds. Mine was gentle with my child, later a rabbit and kittens. She was only aggressive when threatened, protecting or commanded. She was never trained to attack or threaten, she just seemed to know. She considered the full moon a threat, along with any stranger. Their size is imposing to any intruder, and usually this trait repels most. When attacking or defending, the mastiff is adept at using the size advantage. Mine would face head on, with her front legs spread to the side. I think this was a sucker play for on comers, because she could make a grab, and in a quick backstep, toss a german shepard with the leverage gained. This feat was joyfully viewed when my neighbors dog was, um, in season and had some visitors. Although I didn't, I was more than confident that my two year old could play safely in the yard. Any dog that wasn't deterred by the toss was cowered by the ability of a mastiff to phisically lift themselves out of a throat hold and return it from a standing position. They are an impressive breed. Treat your dog well, and it will be returned.
Ive heard similar characteristics about the bullmastiff. We didn't just buy this pup for the heck of it, we did a lot of research and deliberated each of the mastiff breeds. The bullmastiffs are very intelligent dogs. One site said that you can't play catch with a mastiff because after the first time he returns the ball and you throw it again, he will assume you don't want it any more and wont retrieve it....thats a smart dog. I also like how they stop an intruder. Instead of attacking someone like a pitbull will for example, they knock the person/dog/whatever over with their weight and hold it to the ground by the throat till someone comes. They just seem to be one of the most fascinating breeds to me.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:06 PM
TIC
Pro Rider

Please dont skip on his food during his growing months, You may ask your vet for advice on some extra calcium. this will save you some trouble in his senior years with hip problems and other poor nutrition issues such as cancer, tumors, stomach problems.

Dogs/ pups of this size need so much more than just your average PUPPY food during the first 10-17 months. please dont overlook this issue, how you feed him during the growing time will save you so much time/money/ and heartache when he is old..

I now have a 12 year old great dane in good health!. that is very uncommon and I thank the man I got this same advice from all the time. In fact He had me feed mine goats milk the first 4 months.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TIC
Please dont skip on his food during his growing months, You may ask your vet for advice on some extra calcium. this will save you some trouble in his senior years with hip problems and other poor nutrition issues such as cancer, tumors, stomach problems.

Dogs/ pups of this size need so much more than just your average PUPPY food during the first 10-17 months. please dont overlook this issue, how you feed him during the growing time will save you so much time/money/ and heartache when he is old..

I now have a 12 year old great dane in good health!. that is very uncommon and I thank the man I got this same advice from all the time. In fact He had me feed mine goats milk the first 4 months.
Thank you. I really appreciate the tip. Ive learned that big dogs like these have a life expectancy that is a couple of years shorter than a normal dog, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks again.