Ripping DVD's

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 06:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ripping DVD's

Originally posted by: XtremeSkier
Originally posted by: strongtyerYFZ
does anyone know how to rip dvds to a computer. i cant figure it out. im not trying to put anything out on the web like kazzaa. just FYI.
umm why would u want to? just grab the DVD, put it in and watch it..problem solved..plus it doesnt take up any memory space.
that way you can bring the movie with you without bring the dvd with you....I would do this to my laptop..but dont have the time

Old 07-26-2005, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default Ripping DVD's

Originally posted by: Raptorx44
DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor both free and use Nero to burn
Yep these two work very well togetther. Search them on google and you'll find them. I use a cracked copy of Alcohol 120% to burn mine. Nero, Roxio, WinMP player all work.You run the Decrypter first. Then DVD shrink gets it to fit on a 4.7 gb disk instead of a dual layer. Note many older DVD players can't play these copies. Most newer ones do just fine.

Old 07-27-2005, 01:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ripping DVD's

When I copy DVD's(for backup and archival use only, of course), I use DVD Decrypter first, and that decrypts the DVD encryption(hence the name). While decrypting the DVD, it also saves it to your hard drive. Next, I use DVD Shrink to get rid of any features that I don't want(other languages, the previews, and anything else). DVD Shrink also writes the DVD's. I got DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink from a teacher at school, along with a hacked version of Alcohol 120%(DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink are free software that you can download online, but I have dial-up, so it would take a while).

Old 07-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ripping DVD's

Originally posted by: 89YZ125
When I copy DVD's(for backup and archival use only, of course), I use DVD Decrypter first, and that decrypts the DVD encryption(hence the name). While decrypting the DVD, it also saves it to your hard drive. Next, I use DVD Shrink to get rid of any features that I don't want(other languages, the previews, and anything else). DVD Shrink also writes the DVD's. I got DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink from a teacher at school, along with a hacked version of Alcohol 120%(DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink are free software that you can download online, but I have dial-up, so it would take a while).
I use DVD Shrink to rip the disc and shrink it at the same time (it can unlock and read the DVD). I compress what I need to to get it to fit on one dvd-r. Then I burn the ISO using DVD Decryptor. This way uses less disk space (4.7GB per movie).

I copy mine so I don't have to carry around a $50 peice of plastic. I believe law states you can make one copy of a dvd for personal uses.

Old 07-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ripping DVD's

Originally posted by: fishslab
Originally posted by: Raptorx44
DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor both free and use Nero to burn
Yep these two work very well togetther. Search them on google and you'll find them. I use a cracked copy of Alcohol 120% to burn mine. Nero, Roxio, WinMP player all work.You run the Decrypter first. Then DVD shrink gets it to fit on a 4.7 gb disk instead of a dual layer. Note many older DVD players can't play these copies. Most newer ones do just fine.
so you can just download them off the internet? your not talking about a p2p program or shareware are you?

im not really trying to burn dvds. not yet. i dont really need to. how do you use windows media player to copy dvds? or can you?

Old 07-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ripping DVD's

DVD Shrink

Use that to rip an ISO. If you don't want to burn yet, just get a Virtual CD drive that can read ISO's. I use one that is part of Nero Deluxe, but Microsoft has a free one that you can easily use.

If you need me too, I can find that too.

Remember, I'm a nerd.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Ripping DVD's

Originally posted by: tyler711
DVD Shrink

Use that to rip an ISO. If you don't want to burn yet, just get a Virtual CD drive that can read ISO's. I use one that is part of Nero Deluxe, but Microsoft has a free one that you can easily use.

Remember, I'm a nerd.
Thanks! that helps. Where can i get a virtual CD drive? ...and what does ISO stand for? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I know a lot about computers but i dont know much about DVDs and ripping/ burning and that kind of stuff. Thats why i asked... I'm interested in the one Microsoft has thats free. Any help finding that would be greatly appreciated!

I consider myself a computer nerd too.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] well,... at least i spend too much time on it! lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

by the way. my name is Tyler too![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] well, hence the name strongtyer(YFZ). dont ask why there is no "L" on my screen name but there is a reason[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2005, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ripping DVD's

hey strongtyerYFZ, in ur sig it says YFZ when school gets out, but then it says j/k; u got screwed, and we have no idea. Would you please enlighten us as to what happened with the YFZ incident?

Old 07-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default Ripping DVD's

DVD Shrink

Remember, I'm a nerd.
Thanks! that helps. Where can i get a virtual CD drive? ...and what does ISO stand for? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I know a lot about computers but i dont know much about DVDs and ripping/ burning and that kind of stuff. Thats why i asked... I'm interested in the one Microsoft has thats free. Any help finding that would be greatly appreciated!

I consider myself a computer nerd too.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] well,... at least i spend too much time on it! lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

by the way. my name is Tyler too![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] well, hence the name strongtyer(YFZ). dont ask why there is no "L" on my screen name but there is a reason[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Hey tyler. This microsoft tool only works on WinXP.
Here is a site with it.

An ISO is a file that is a direct IMAGE of a CD. If you took everything that is on a cd, and put it in a file (not just copying each file, but actually taking a picture of the CD so to speak) it would be an ISO.

That M$ program reads the ISO file, then creates a new CD drive that has that ISO in it.

So say you had a movie (that you owned). Twister. Put it in your DVD drive. Rip it using DVDShrink. It reduces the quality a bit and lets you get rid of things like menus or whatever to save space. It creats an ISO that you put in My Documents. (Make sure you have space, a full C drive really PO's a computer). Then, you start that M$ CD Image program and open the ISO file you just made. It then creates a new CD drive, a drive Q:\ (or whatever), which looks and acts like a DVD drive with Twister in it.

If you want to watch another ISO movie, you can dismount and remount another ISO.

And if you ever wanted to burn it, you could run DVD Decryptor and burn the ISO.

If you don't have WinXP, I can find another CD Image app for you.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Ripping DVD's

DVD Shrink

Remember, I'm a nerd.

Hey tyler. This microsoft tool only works on WinXP.
Here is a site with it.

An ISO is a file that is a direct IMAGE of a CD. If you took everything that is on a cd, and put it in a file (not just copying each file, but actually taking a picture of the CD so to speak) it would be an ISO.

That M$ program reads the ISO file, then creates a new CD drive that has that ISO in it.

So say you had a movie (that you owned). Twister. Put it in your DVD drive. Rip it using DVDShrink. It reduces the quality a bit and lets you get rid of things like menus or whatever to save space. It creats an ISO that you put in My Documents. (Make sure you have space, a full C drive really PO's a computer). Then, you start that M$ CD Image program and open the ISO file you just made. It then creates a new CD drive, a drive Q:\ (or whatever), which looks and acts like a DVD drive with Twister in it.

If you want to watch another ISO movie, you can dismount and remount another ISO.

And if you ever wanted to burn it, you could run DVD Decryptor and burn the ISO.

If you don't have WinXP, I can find another CD Image app for you.
i have XP. thanks for all the help Tyler. i appreciate it.

89YZ125- i would tell the story and maybe sometime i will but its a long one. really long!!! complicated too. its a very sad story. for me anyways.... i understand that most people would and now think i was lying or am lying but im not. i dont really care if anyone thinks i was. just read the bottom of my sig. the reason i didnt get a yfz was because i was lied to. if you really want to know i guess you could PM me but the story is kinda.... kinda personal. its crazy... and disappointing.

Quick Reply: Ripping DVD's