Dirt Wheels Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-1999 | 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Guys, you are all forgetting stuff! The 400ex will be modifid. And also they will say the DS looks cool but not as cool as the 400ex with race cut plastic and NEW Yellow Race inspired grafics. Then they will have a bunch of BS about how the 400ex is better because it is made by Honda and they made the 250r.
Then they will say they like the color red better than yellow.
DW is full of BS

Old 07-29-1999 | 12:44 AM
Trailblazer

Matt, Mud Machine, and Adam,
You are all right on the money. If you are ever looking for another job, send an application in to DW. Do I dare say that if the 650 beats out the 400ex that I will eat the entire issue???

------------------
Scott Colson 98 Scrambler 500 91 Yamaha Moto 4 250

Old 07-29-1999 | 12:53 AM
|
Pro Rider

As long as you guys are bashing Dirt Wheels, I'd like to join in. One thing that really bugs me, is that whenever they decide to make a project quad, they always use White Brothers or Four Stroke Tech. White Brothers did the Project 400EX (MX and dunes), the Project Wolverine and the Project Grizzly and Four Stroke Tech did the 500EX and the TRX420 4x4. Why don't they use a different company every time? There are plenty to choose from.

I am glad, however, to see the Golden West project quads and the Mission Yamaha project quads. Overall, I look forward to getting my Dirt Wheels (and 4-Wheel ATV Action, they have similar stuff), but I would like to see more material on sport/hi-performance quads. That is why I subscribe to ATV Sport..........

Old 07-29-1999 | 01:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hold on guys! the DS-650 is not officailly released yet! Its one thing to compare machines on paper and machines in a real test situation! I agree, the ds-650 LOOKS good on paper and pictures, but what about a ride? A heavily modified 400ex sounds awesome on paper, but i know a few people who are unhappy with the harsh sound(they are VERY loud!) required to match a banshee in performance. Are we all so blind with possible/ and or probable offerings that we will disregard known quantities as a viable and worthy machine? I have YET to see a DS-650, so why build the machine up in the forums before Bombardier has built it? In fact, this will be their FIRST quad EVER. I for one will wait to see what happens with this machine, regardless of how enamored i am by it! I only hope it runs as good as it looks!

RoostKing...

[This message has been edited by RoostKing (edited 07-28-1999).]

Old 07-29-1999 | 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Roostking,
True, very true... That IS a logical and competent arguement, and maybe we shouldn't be trashing DW.. BUT, between the 30,000 pages of advertisement, the 16 pages of 400EX stuff, they 2-3 pages of everybody else (which they can NEVER get right!) Its kinda like a pathetic joke with no punchline.. So, rather than get pissed about the 14.95 we spent just to have our brand of machine or type of riding repeatedly attacked, we have a little fun with it.!!

Old 07-29-1999 | 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

Dirt Wheels has got pretty much the same acticles as 4WA, but its got more advertiments which I think is a plus when looking for parts.

------------------
*400EX* *LT250R* Evan Johnson Email: JaVa003@AoL.CoM

Old 08-08-1999 | 06:46 AM
Range Rover

You are forgetting something,
If Honda went bankrupt, then they would still have their beloved Polaris to write about on every page.

Old 08-08-1999 | 02:02 PM
Trailblazer

I subscribed to DW and just buing a new Arctic Cat 500 was hoping to see maybe a review or sumting for it but all i see id them testing the banshee of 400ex again...then adding a new decal kit..testing again...we add a new bolt...test again...Does honda pay them to say HONDA RULE BUY A 400EX OR YOUR ARE A LOSER???Then they do a test on mud tires and use 'HONDA' 450es....There are other manufactiures out there...i aint dissing honda but i spent 15 bucks on a magazine i want to see sumthing diffrent not just honda this honda that.

------------------

Old 08-08-1999 | 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

Mindz brings up a GOOD point... A VERY good point. In that 27" tire shootout.. they used ONLY Honda 450's.. Which would be just fine if all machines were created equal...
But, from personal experience I can tell ya that some machines will go places with stock tires that 27" Vampires on a Honda can't go..
It has to do with a machines ability to produce WHEELSPEED..
The first couple of times I saw it happen, I just blew it off as driver skill, but after riding with some other people repeatedly, There is a HUGE difference between an auto transmission quad and one with a conventional gearbox.
A Honda goes into a mudhole with 27" Vampires, grinds and churns away, but doesnt quite make it...ends up getting winched out. A Polaris(or you could say Grizzly here) with 25" tires goes into the same hole running the same line and makes it thru... Yes, the AWD system definitely helps, but I think WHEELSPEED plays a MAJOR part in getting thru.
A Honda can't hardly get past 1st or 2nd gear in the mud, whereas a Polaris can just whack the throttle and hold on for dear life.. Maybe THATS why Yamaha and Artic Cat have brought out a few Auto Tranny Quads to see if they've learned what we all already know.

Old 08-08-1999 | 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Crap,
What I was trying to get to is that maybe Dirt Wheels should have ran two different tests with those tires, one with all brands mounted on Honda 450's and one with them mounted on Polaris Magnum 500's.
The tires might respond differently to an auto tranny quad.
Its hard to throw ANY tire clean at 5 m.p.h. But, at 45 m.p.h. (wheelspeed) You can throw almost ANY tire clean.
It was JUST a THOUGHT!!

Quick Reply: Dirt Wheels Magazine