Trailer modifications

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-1999, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got an older trailer to haul my quads and going to break out the welding machine and make several modifications. Going to make tailgate/ramp at the rear and also one at the front that will serve as a ramp to the tailgate of my truck so I can drive through the trailer and load into the bed of the truck. I am also going to build a spare tire holder for the trailer. I was wondering if anyone else out there has some useful mods for trailers? I am especially interested in finding out about easier ways to tie down quads on a trailer. Keeping up with all the straps and their frayed edges to tie down 4 quads is getting old! Interested in whatever you have come up with or thought about.

Thanks,

Mark Vinson - mark1@ipa.net

Old 08-01-1999, 01:49 AM
Trailblazer

Go to ATV Connection and click on Product Reviews then scroll down to Quad Transport/Security and check out their reviews on several different products that are available for quad transport.

------------------
Brian Kimmel - 97 Timberwolf

Old 08-01-1999, 03:11 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks Brian,

I had already read all of those, I guess I need to be a bit clearer! I am more interested in hearing what people have made themselves other than products available to purchase. I, like many others I'm sure, am interested in making mods to the trailer myself. And if anyone has any home-made solutions to alieviate those stupid straps I'd sure love to hear about them too!!!!

Thanks,

Old 08-01-1999, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

My trailer has a 1 foot high railing all the way around it. Drill out some holes in the posts of the railing and add eye-bolts for tiedowns. Cut off the excess threads on the outside. I have ratchet tiedowns with the S-hook style ends. You can also just drill holes in the railing and hook them in there. Paint over the broken paint from the drill. I have a solid floor on mine so I bought 4 recessed tiedown mounts that bolt to the floor that work well. Also, reflective strips and lights !!! I don't trust those other idiot drivers at night. They will hit my traler and knock my quads into next week!
I also put new tires on mine. I found a nice set of white letter ones on sale and threw on some Farm & Fleet hubcaps that were on clearance for good measure. (They look like Chevy trucks rims from my dads '97 4X4 only 15in instead of 16in. ) I also cover all my wires in convuluted (plastic) tubing. I also welded tiny chains to the pins for the gate so I wouldn't lose them, plus drilled small holes in the gate pins so I could put a cotter pin in each one.
Thats about it I guess...
c-ya,
Andrew Thomas
'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer

Old 08-01-1999, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After using ratcheting nylon strap tie-downs for a while, their tendency to twist and fray and so on annoyed me.

I replaced the ratcheting nylon straps with ratcheting nylon ropes. The ropes don't twist or jam or fold over in the ratchets as the thin "made in China" nylon straps sometimes did; the ropes are strong and easily adjustable. Four tie-downs hooked to stake-hole eyes and quad racks hold the ATV securely even while covering some rough terrain.

If you can't find ratcheting nylon rope tie-downs to check out, E-mail me and I'll research the manufacturer for you.

Your idea of "drive-through" ramps between the trailer and the pickup bed sounds slick; expanded metal and angle-irons seem ideal building materials for this project. I hope you post pictures on the Forum when you're finished.

Tree Farmer

Old 08-01-1999, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

I use U bolt along the top of my railing to attach my tie-downs to, as well. NEW tires would be a good idea, since most trailer (utility style) manufacturers put used tires on to begin with.

What I'm working on now is finding some thick sheet metal, preferably diamond plate, and cutting it to cover the open area in the frame up front (where the trailer ends and the rails extend to make the coupling). I want to bolt or weld that on, allowing me place a srorage box, or mount a spare tire there.

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer

Old 08-01-1999, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

One of the guys in our club has a trailer with a recessed tie-down in the front and one in the rear. He runs his winch cable through the front tie-down then through the back tie-down and then hooks it onto his ATV's trailer hitch. A couple hundred pounds of of pull from the winch and it locked down tight. If you do this, make sure your winch has the brake option on it.

------------------
Kevin Staton
Windrock ATV Club
2000 Polaris Magnum 325 4x4

Old 08-01-1999, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

Mark,
One thing I did to mine is cut the railing from the front passenger corner to the last vertical support before the fenderwell. After cutting the rail free, I welded a steel barn hinge to it and back to the trailer railing, on the other end, just welded on a piece of flat steel and blew a hole thru it and the corresponding spot on the rail. Now I have a place for a BRASS master lock.
Now, I can load my Scrambler from the side, and the Yamaha from the rear.
The idea of being able to load straight thru to the back of my truck has me thinking... I might try that in a little while with my folding ramps and see what happens... HHMMMMM???????

Old 08-02-1999, 12:40 AM
Trailblazer

Andrew - I also have the side at about that height and plan to install the eyebolts to make things easier. The recessed floor mounts sound like a great idea for when I am only having to carry a couple of quads. And you can bet I will try and light things up like a Christmas tree! Seems like around here folks can't see you in the daytime, much less at night! (And people still want to ride their quads on the roads when folks can't even see a truck and trailer?) New tires and wheels are on the list along with the spare - dual axles are on the trailer so I get to buy a ttl of five. Still decideing how I want to build the pin system, seen several different types.

Jim - I have sent off an e-mail to you about the racheting nylon rope - it does sound MUCH better than the straps (I HATE THE STRAPS WITH A PASSION!) And I will be taking pics of the entire project - hopefully I will be starting on the Club Web Site soon - that might be a good "project" to post pics of.

400L - Would LOVE to find a place for a storage box also - have to give a lot of thought to that!

Kevin - That sounds like a pretty cool idea - but being as only one of the quads is mine, it's the only one with a winch - the others do not.

Mud - Thought about side ramps - because the three smaller quads are loaded sideways when I have to carry all of them - just wondering if I can build them to stay structurally sound having an entire side, plus front and backwith ramps?

And to the rest of the world - What have you done to modify your trailer? Anything at all - be it homemade or built in when you bought it. Would love pics if you have em - Hey, it's hard to ride if we can't get the quads where we need em to start with!!

Old 08-02-1999, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mark, I recently did a little modifying to my flat top wood trailer. Because there are no wheel wails the road spray comes up on the bottom of my wood. I have taken aluminium plate and secured them above the tires and where the tire spray would hit. I also coated the wood on the bottom with a undercoating material that car dealerships try to sale you. Basically, I should never have my wood rought out or crack. I have also sanded and coated the top of the wood with a sealer. After all this prep work I'am placing grip tape on the spots the ATV tires are placed, and where I walk around them. In the winter the snow and water make the top slick. Hope this gives you some more ideas.

------------------

Quick Reply: Trailer modifications