Attempted Quad Theft!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-1999, 11:28 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just thought of a good alarm. My friend has one on his street bike and if you get to close to it, it tells you to get away, if you still get closer then it will go off. It is like those VIPER alarms for cars if you get to close it goes off. I call him and see what kind it is, I think you can get it at any street bike shop. I'll check.

Later,

Steve

Old 09-24-1999, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATV theft unfortunately suggests, "Crime Pays!"

Without universal registration and licensing legislation, thieves throw ATV's into the backs of their trucks, relocate them, and "ride 'em like they owned 'em."

The risk is minimal. Without visible license plates, and without routine law enforcement checks or periodic title/registration/inspection verifications, how are stolen ATV's recovered?

Registrations and licensing cannot prevent theft entirely; otherwise, no auto theft problem would exist. No ATV owner welcomes additional red tape and expense associated with ATV ownership.

Thus, as long as relatively small, portable, high-value, hard-to-identify-and-trace items like ATV's exist, with an eager market demand, expect theft. Time and determination defeat all anti-theft measures mentioned on the topic.

No, I'm not saying ATV owners should give up. On the contrary, take whatever reasonable precautions you can securing your valuables. However, thieves defeated a Kryptonite lock and "Barbed Wire" cable when they last stole my ATC110 from my pickup, parked behind my house. While I later recovered the bike, I realize even reasonable security means are not invulnerable to determined thieves.

Tree Farmer

Old 09-24-1999, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Tree farmer.
Did they defeat the lock?,Or did they defeat the cable? I have the krypto lock but use a grade 7 chain.Both formentoioned are grade 7 and nearly imposible to cut.I tryed myself.

PS The cable is not graded.(Rockwell that is.)

Old 09-25-1999, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

I'll give some of these crooks alittle credit. When some of'em want something, they will sure go to any means to get it.

Awhile back i posted about Some fourwheeler thieves getting caught. Well, i dont really know what kind of jail time they got, but i have seen him in town a few times, and i know a few people that he victemized are looking to discuss the "southern legal" system to him. There sure are some gutsy or stupid criminals out there, whatever you want to call them.

------------------
Jeremy Cross

1993 Yamaha *turbo* t-wolf

Old 09-25-1999, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer

Jeremy,
I personally think the "southern legal system" works better. I guess me being from Georgia helps that. I think it punishes fairly and justly myself.

------------------
Kevin JA Works of Georgia

1996 Yamaha Warrior

Old 10-08-1999, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer

the best way for theft prevention is to think of an idea and pretend you were the thief,although there probly is no way to 100% proof your bike there is several things you could do to make less convienant for the thief to pursue his mission on your bike,I guess it boils down to just being lazy,most guys will spend hours cleaning there bikes just to turn around and get them dirty again.So why can't you take 5 minutes and pull your rear tires off and put them in your house?I've been doing it for years and had I not my quad would have been gone long ago ,you see my shed has been busted into three times in the last two years and every time my guad was still there because the rear tires were hidden in my house.So it's obviose theres ways to prevent it,however it comes down to convience and lazyness,hey if its more convienant to save another $6,000 well more power to ya!later guys

Jeff
xplorer250,arctic cat 300,dr650

Old 10-08-1999, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Just wanted to add my two cents,have been there done that.Last year about this time lost two 500 sportsman and traler.Luckly had insurance,but still leaves you with bad taste in your mouth.After going through all the stuff or most of what is posted,finally called light company had security light hooked up,lights up whole yard plus neighbors(not sure she was as happy as I was about it.)yard.Thought about dog but didn't want the bother,between light and Insurance sleep a little better.As for motion lights they just unscrewed the bulbs,before they sc@#$ed me.You get just what you expect from the cops,they really don't want to be bothered.Then when or if they are caught,which these guys were.The district attorney was to busy,case didn't have any prestige to it.Sorry just some bitterness still in there.
Later COB

Old 10-12-1999, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

People,

What you have stated about series and parallel circuits is correct. In a series, you add all the voltage sources in order to get the full voltage across the circuit.

What you have failed to mention is that voltage is not what shocks you, current is. You can be shocked with a gazillion volts and if there aren't enough amps you wont even feel it. Imagine putting a 9v battery to your tongue, it doesn't hurt you because there is hardly any amperage.

I do agree with Andrew, get a gun! Just pointing a gun at someone is often not illegal. If you live in Texas (and Texas only) SHOOT HIM!!!! It is perfectly legal in Texas to kill anyone who comes on your property as long as it is to protect your life or your property. Otherwise, just use the gun to scare the crap out of him.

Sorry to sound like a smartass, but I'm an electronics student and my mom's a lawyer!

Good luck!

------------------
Want a Magnum or Sportsman 500!!!

Old 10-12-1999, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

DreamofPolaris, if moms a Lawyer,tell her you want a Magnum or a Sportsman.[just kiddin] BILL

Old 10-12-1999, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

DreamofPolaris, if moms a Lawyer,tell her you want a Magnum or a Sportsman.[just kiddin] BILL

Quick Reply: Attempted Quad Theft!