Mac or PC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005 | 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mac or PC?

I have several Macs and a PC.
I really depends on what you want it for.
I do everything on my Mac laptop, 12" PowerBook, but I play games on my PC.
There are more PC games but the Macs are more trouble free for almost everything else.
Don't let PC fans compare price of bottom end PCs with full blown workstation Macs.
You can get a Mac mini or a iBook cheap.
New macs also use almost all the same accessories as PCs now. So you can probably use your existing USB devices including multibutton mice.
So, unless you're a hardcore gamer, get the Mac, you won't be sorry.

Old 10-03-2005 | 12:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Mac or PC?

Dude i have a vaio just like u!

how could u want something differnet!

it's such a sweet computer

Old 10-03-2005 | 12:29 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Mac or PC?

i know! i love my vaio!! but i think i might have to switch to a mac. The only real game i play is CS and im givin up soon so...ill probably get a mac for my next comp

Old 10-03-2005 | 12:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Mac or PC?

yeah well i've heard Macs are freakin amazing but my Vaio does everything i need it to, i think i'd rather have my parents spend money on something they want then on me since they do enough of that already

Old 10-03-2005 | 01:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default Mac or PC?

I own a PC, grew up with them. But the great things about Macs are you don't have to open the case to upgrade. When its time to upgrade, pick it up and throw it in the trash and buy a new one! And gaming is fantastic too, all 6 of the games, not including the apple logo game, thats pretty sweet. And you don't have to worry about what games are good because all the games on the Mac already game out on the PC like 5 or 6 years ago.

Old 10-03-2005 | 08:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mac or PC?

Originally posted by: blindside350
I own a PC, grew up with them. But the great things about Macs are you don't have to open the case to upgrade.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

PC all the way. I'm a nerd, so at least I base my decision on years of experience [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Old 10-03-2005 | 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mac or PC?

I own a PC, grew up with them. But the great things about Macs are you don't have to open the case to upgrade. When its time to upgrade, pick it up and throw it in the trash and buy a new one! And gaming is fantastic too, all 6 of the games, not including the apple logo game, thats pretty sweet. And you don't have to worry about what games are good because all the games on the Mac already game out on the PC like 5 or 6 years ago.
Wow, you must be one of those experts I've heard so much about.
So, are you saying that the PCI-X, AGP 8x, Serial ATA, PC3200, USB, and Firewire connections in Macs don't work?
Or is it that the processor upgrades from PowerLogix, Newertechonolgies, or Sonnet are not real?
Or were you trying to be cute by applying the limitations of the tiny enclosure of the Mac Mini to all Macs?
Just curious.
Anyway, back to World of Warcraft, on my Mac.

Old 10-05-2005 | 01:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default Mac or PC?

Originally posted by: BeerSmurf
Wow, you must be one of those experts I've heard so much about.
So, are you saying that the PCI-X, AGP 8x, Serial ATA, PC3200, USB, and Firewire connections in Macs don't work?
Or is it that the processor upgrades from PowerLogix, Newertechonolgies, or Sonnet are not real?
Or were you trying to be cute by applying the limitations of the tiny enclosure of the Mac Mini to all Macs?
Just curious.
Anyway, back to World of Warcraft, on my Mac.
It was a parody of the Mac Switch thing from roosterteeth Linky. I've tried macs, great machines visually (montiers are gorgeous!) But like i said I am used to PCs, and probably never switch don't need to, I can run everything on my PC without even flinching. Props to Apple for switching to Intel, the just have to switch to AMD [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2005 | 04:36 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Default Mac or PC?

Personally I'm a Linux guy. Use XP Pro at work though. I've never been really enamored with Windows. Though it did take me years before I finally went Linux 100% and don't plan on going back. If/when you make the switch, make it for the right reasons. The applications are out there. Mac OS X has a UNIX derivitive at it's core (FreeBSD). It is inherently more secure than Windows. You do gain some security through obscurity. Most (pretty much all) virus, worms and other malware are written for Windows because it's the most popular.

With the open source base under that sexy skin, there's a lot of applications out there that can be had for free (as in beer because they are free as in speech and use open licensing.)

Just about any type of app that I want I can get for Linux. Some may not be as featurefull as their Windows (or even Mac) counterparts, but they are up and coming.

Friesen...WTF. You can't run Mac OS X on an x86 machine. Unless you get Darwin (the FreeBSD base of OS X). And even with Apple's shift to Intel, you won't be able to load OS X (or it's successor) on a regular Intel based machine. Apple will still use their proprietary firmware to lock OS X to their hardware. But you'll be able to run MS WindowsXP|Vista|Whatever on their hardware.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-05-2005 | 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mac or PC?

I've tried linux, but just the loss of convenience of having a different OS was too much for me. Installing hardware was annoying, games wouldnt run, and a lot of the programs I require won't run on it (WMP10 for napster, etc.)

I must say that apple has genious business strategy (part of why I hate them). They are like a legal monopoly of their own systems. More power to them. I like windows because that's what I'm comfortable with and know inside and out.