Another Black eye for ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Black eye for ATV's

Further followup...yeah...I actually did read it. Statistics aren't my thing though.

They make it seem like more and more people are being maimed more and more, however, the last line of the report says (page 14):

However, analysis has demonstrated that there is no statistically upward or downward trend in the risk of injury from 2001 to 2004 (the years for which the necessary data are available.)
One of the problems lies in the fact it takes 2 years to get all of the data. They then make estimates (using statistical wizardry) based on the total REPORTED.

Estimated deaths are hovering around 1.0 to 1.4 since 1999 when better reporting (ICD-10) started. 1.0 for '03 and 1.1 for '04. (per 10,000).

There was on statistic that REALLY stood out to me on page 5 (Table 2, Deaths by state). [*]Kentucky reported 106 <-- Anyone else think there might be an issue in this state?[*]West Virginia reported 93[*]Pennsylvania reported 84[*]North Carolina reported 77[*]Florida reported 71[*]Tennessee reported 58
[*]California reported only 50 <-- Mandatory helmet law, size restrictions/safety cert. rarely enforced.

It would be interesting to see the the age breakdown by age for deaths and injuries. Deaths are only reported by state. Injuries aren't.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

well i heard around here, next year, the law is that if ur under 18 and dont have ATV safty that u cant ride a quad over 90cc's on public land!

thank god i got my ATV safty[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

Black and Red,

I found that article on the Fox News website.

Thanks to everyone who dug into this further and got the facts. Let's hope the powers that be will fight this to the end. It's not the first time and it's not the last time we will see misleading information from these groups.

Overall, I believe the actual numbers of injuries or fatal accidents per number of new machines/new riders has dropped considerably in the past few years. The ONLY problem with this is, it's not good press.

XtemeSkier,

you're correct on our safety training. As of January 1, 2006, anyone born after July 1 1987 will need to be certified to ride on public lands and frozen waters. But anyone 10-11 years old can ride a machine 90cc or less on public lands/frozen waters "WITHOUT" safety training, but must be accompanied by an adult 18 or older who has a valid drivers license.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

the reason West Virginia's numbers were so highduring those years,was because they had passed a law that it was legal to ride ATV's on "secondary roads" as long as

1,,,,you were 18 years of age
2,,,,carried a VALID drivers license
3,,,,wear a helmet
4,,,,and had a head light,tail light,and brake light

this was a experiment to see if it would be in their interest to seek a new form of revenue for a untapped source,and it failed drastically,due to the underage riders abuse, the non compliance of helmets,the fact that law enforcement were not equiped to give chase,and the drastic over night increase in fatalitys

they have since recended the law,and it was during the years in question in this discussion

since then, the county Sherriff's office have aquired 7 various types of ATV's from drug seizures,and do use them

Old 10-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LEP7MM
WASHINGTON — An estimated 740 people, a record, died in all-terrain vehicle accidents last year, the government said Thursday as it took a step toward oversight of the vehicles.
The estimated toll, which includes 470 documented cases, compares with an estimated 617 deaths in 2003, and estimates between 538 and 599 annual deaths in the previous three years, according to a report from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (search) Thursday.

Also, an all-time high of at least 136,100 people went to the hospital last year for injuries involving the four-wheel motorcycles that have a wide seat and low stand, and a third of those hurt were younger than 16.

In 2003, there were at least 125,500 injuries.

"We have a serious national epidemic in this country of people getting killed and injured in very large numbers when they ride ATVS," said Rachel Weintraub, director of product safety at the Consumer Federation of America (search).

The group is pushing for ATV regulation, especially for child use of the adult-sized vehicles.

The commission said it is considering putting in place federal rules for ATVs and is taking public comment for 60 days.
wow thats a lot could u figure out what mass. is? was that at a website?

Old 10-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

What is killing us responsible, helmet wearing, safe ATV riders is the morons who wake up one day and think "Gee, I think I'll get a 4-wheeler". Then they get one and have NO IDEA what they are doing and crash.

Case in point.......earlier this week a friend of mine called me up, she had went out and bought a quad. I thought that was great, finally, a woman friend of mine to ride with, we made plans for her to come up so I could give her some pointers since she was new to quads. She shows up, with her girlfriend, said they were going to ride double, I have problems with that immediately(inexperienced and double, I don't think so). I offer the use of one of our quads so they can each ride one, give them the "it's not safe to ride double" speech. Then, and here's the killer, they inform me that "Oh yeah, we don't have any helmets". I tried to tell them how unsafe that was, blah blah, offer them a couple helmets to use, Nah, they don't want to get used to wearing them. "They want $100 for one helmet", seriously, that was their arguement for not wanting to buy helmets. Then they go on to tell me it's not a problem, they had been double riding with out helmets for a couple weeks now. I was speechless, then I wasn't. I went off, used words my kids probably didn't need to hear, but come on, how stupid can you get? They were so cavalier about it, I started lecturing, loudly, wondering what the f was wrong with them that they would spend $5000 on a quad but wouldnt' shell out a lousy f'in couple hundred for helmets. Needless to say we did not go riding and I doubt I'll be hearing from them again anytime soon. I told them not to bother coming back with that quad until they got a brain between them. It wasn't pretty, but on a positive note, I'm pretty sure my kids have no doubts what so ever how I feel about people riding with no helmets.

My point is.......it's these idiots that make us all look bad, and I refuse to condone that type of stupidity, no matter how good a friend.

They should seperate those "statistics" into two groups, those who were riding safely and responsibly and got killed, and those who weren't wearing helmets, were drunk, showing off or just plain had no idea what they were doing and got killed. Bet I know which group would comprise most of the deaths.

And for whoever asked about the death toll from ATV's in Mass, I bet it goes up by 2 pretty soon, unless my friend smartens the hell up real fast.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

How do these stats compare to other modes of transportation? Bicycles, Motorcycles, Scooters, Skateboards, Rollerskates/Rollerblades and autos.
i wondering this too...i garrantee you more people are injured and KILLED by motorcycles alone - but no one is pushing to ban them are they? how about cars? hundreds of thousands die by car every year...hey lets ban them!!! you know why, b/c they are under the DMV. The CPSC alone regulates atvs and household appliances (why should atvs be regulated by the same commission that regulates a refrig or an electric can opener?) they have no idea how to effectively regulate atvs. ATVs need to be moved under the DMV, and yes, have slighly stricter training laws for and those who ride them. i see too many people riding a machine they are not ready for, without safety gear, and drunk off their butts, with passengers, etc etc.

rachel whiner is just trying to make a name for herself and make something happen and make the cpsc look like its really on the consumer's side when all it is is just a gigantic red ink stain on our USA budget. they have to do and take on things to make them seem important but the thing with atvs isnt about public safety- its personal vindetta with ms whiner. some things the cpsc does is ok but to have atvs under them is a mistake. i agree with some regulation, but we cant go back to what they did to
3 wheelers back in the 80's and it pretty much killled the quad market for 10 years. just now with all the new machines coming out- we are where we should have been technology-wise in the 90's. we need some kind of good national, regional, local, and individual representation and unitedness even if some of us dont see eye to eye personally to make sure that they dont get their way this time.

we need honda, yamaha, suzuki, etc behind us just like the auto manufacturers lobby in washington for their crap, we need this kind of leverage as well.

just a suggestion, if you do send ms whiner an email, try to be intelligent in what you say and dont just stab at her - that will only make us look worse.

Old 10-08-2005, 05:15 AM
Pro Rider

I stopped a guy a couple weeks ago (no, I'm not a Law Enforcement Officer). He was riding down a paved county road, then onto a state highway. As soon as he saw me behind him, he then crossed over to the wrong side of the road while doing close to 60. I went by and flagged him down.

Get this.....the first thing this moron says is "What's the problem"? That's all it took for all professionalism to fly out the window.

Old 10-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

LEP- so when this certification goes into effect, will it be all over the US or just in specific states. Second, will you need them for dirt bikes too. Lastly where would you go to get this ATV certificate.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Certification would be handled by a certified ATV Safety Instructor..At the conclusion of your safety class,you'd receive a certificate of completion certificate.

Quick Reply: Another Black eye for ATV's