Rules and a 15 year old

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-1999 | 11:44 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Hello, I am looking for opinions regarding our son (15 today) and our new ATV. Backround - a few months ago his grandfather bought a Polaris 335 and tossed the then 14 year old the keys. He said go ride (grandpa has 100 acres with hills, many trees and ravines. Being totally unfamiliar to ATVs I was alarmed and started investigating, rules, laws, recomendations, etc. I read the federal and state consumer warnings and statistics and laws, manufacturers warnings, visted a dozen dealerships and really became concerned. As I was doing my homework on this, the 14 was giving rides on grandpa's ATV to kids 4 and under, in full view of adult familyu members. I ended his riding of grandpa's ATV hoping to find a compromise.
We looked at age-appropriate ATVs (90cc and under) but he is 5'11" and 170 lbs. So we looked at go-karts and yes, the Max, and all things considered bought a family sized entry level ATV with 215cc and throttle limiter. Rules were set including no passengers, laws printed out for his reading, manual given to him for his reading, etc. Day 2 with our new ATV, I look out the front window and here is the 14 year old giving a ride to a 3 year old.
Am I too strict. If no, how do you teach a now 15 year old about responsiblity and maturity. I am interested in the younger point of view also. Sorry so long a message.
Ended up with a Kawasaki Bayou 220.

Old 10-18-1999 | 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

You are not too strict, setting rules and limits for your son's ATVing. Instead, you show you care for your child with your concern for his best interest, in contrast to an apparent majority of parents today who ignore their children's behavior or live under the domination of their offspring.

I strongly recommend the ATV Safety Institute Riders Course for your boy; since you just bought the Bayou, you'll receive some incentive for his attendance. The safety course teaches fundamental skills and responsibility, initiating good habits.

Regarding age limits, they appear as guidelines to me--all children do not mature at the same rate. Some 14-year-olds display responsible ATV-ready attitudes, while some 16-year-olds seem congenitally reckless. No magic change occurs universally at any given age. Your monitorship of your son's behavior is a better gauge of his readiness than a number on a fender sticker.

I think the Bayou 220 is a good choice for a starter quad in your case; ATV use can be a useful tool in developing your son's responsibility and maturity. He can learn his good behavior sustains his ATV riding privileges.

Good luck; set reasonable limits and enforce them (if you say no rides for babies, that's what you mean). You and your son will both be better off. Consider your oversight of his ATVing a warm-up for setting and implementing your policies for the time when he wants the car keys.

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 10-18-1999).]

Old 10-18-1999 | 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer said it all.I strongly advise also that your son take the ATV training coarses that should be available in your area.First time riders,either young or old usaully have very little perception of the damage or dangers that can occur if an ATV is ridden incorrectly.I've seen first handed too many first time riders hurt badly on ATV'S.I NEVER allow first time riders out on my quads without first telling them the importance of saftey.I allways ride along with them on another quad to observe their behavior/driving skills for the first few riding adventures.Riding double?In the state of Mich, where Im from ,it is illegal to ride double.I personally choose to ignore that law.I was once riding a friend across the ice to our favorite fishing spot and was stoped by the DNR for riding double.I argued that the snowmobilers can do it,so why cant I?I own a very large 500cc 4x4 Polaris Sportsman that is well equiped to handle two riders across flat ice anytime.The DNR saw no problem with what I was doing and let me continue.It's not like I was hill climbing with someone on the back seat.I would recommend that your son not ride double and make sure he adhears to your rules.The safty coarse is also a must.When he gets more experience and is older,and on perhaps a larger quad,maybe than he can casually ride someone else.Good Luck BILL

Old 10-18-1999 | 04:11 PM
Trailblazer

I think Tree Farmer said it very well. I posted an accindent I had here a couple of months ago where an 11yr old just flew out in the road in front of me and I had to hit the ditch to avoid killing him. Luckliy no damage to anyone.

I think with the traing course maybe(just maybe) all of this could have been avoided.
One thing to think of is maybe if could get another ATV to ride with him and show him how to ride.

------------------
Stump '99 Foreman S

Old 10-18-1999 | 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Starting with the right tools is the key. You mentioned a 100-acre spread on which your son was going to be riding on. Maybe you should limit him to only ride where you can see and here him and not out of sight. At least until he gets some miles under his belt.
That was an excellent choice for a beginner quad. Something for him to learn on and not grow out of. I have seen many posts on this BBS about what quads to buy. A lot of them are younger adults, and you wouldn't believe the responses. Someone that tells a beginner to go out and get a 400EX is moronic. You definatly made the right choice of machine.
I totally agree with the rider's saftey training coarse. Only good will come out of it for you and your son.
And most of all. Have fun. It's a great sport, that the whole family can enjoy. Mine does.
From one owner to the next. Be safe, and welcome to the family.

Chris "00" 300EX

Old 10-18-1999 | 06:54 PM
Range Rover

I do not think you should take the keys. Because you should let him have the atv,but i would make him stay in the yard with it until he get good with it. That is what my mom did with me but i started witha 250. you should take the course to it would help a lot. The riding in the yard helps a lot i would stay away from the max it will make him act like the max 6x6 kid. You can make your own descion

------------------
99 500 scrambler with hotseat pipe and clutch dg bumper soon to have pistons and air box mod 93 yamaha t-wolve with a broken taillight soon to be fixed tailight is now fixed now need to fix headlight

Old 10-19-1999 | 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

Anyone who says that a 15 year old is physically incapable of operating an ATV is full of crap. I am 15 and although I'm not a racer, I am a good utility rider. I watched my friend's 10 year old sister almost hurt herself on a 350 cc 2wd quad, but at the age of 15 you are responsible enough to handle any quad on the market. To put this into perspective, on Saturday I will be 16, old enough in my state to have an unrestricted driver's license and drive any vehicle that is less than 16,000 pounds. I am sure I can do more damage with a large pickup than an ATV.

I would recemmend a safety course for any new rider. I learned from responsible adults that knew what they were talking about at the age of 10. They kept speeds about 10 mph and that's how we learned. I would suggest that your 15 year old attend the course and be given unrestricted access to the quad. Believe me, he'll do some stupid stuff at first, but the human nature tells you when to let off. He'll learn his capability and only ride to his limit. In my opinion, giving him something with 4wd is a better idea than 2wd. 2wd quads are much easier to pick up the front wheels and flip. 4x4s are also usually wider than a comparable 2x4, thus making them more stable. I believe that he's more dangerous on the current quad than the Sportsman 335, I have been told by more people than are on this forum that this ATV has a lack of power for its weight. Sounds like a good starter for him. As far as carrying a 3 year old, is he insane? A kid that small is liable to do a lot of stupid things when riding. I'd definitely stop that pratice before you have a lawsuit on your hands.
Please think about what I said, because I guarentee at my age there's a lot more dangerous places than on a quad. Pool halls and parties come to mind.....

------------------
Want a Magnum or Sportsman 500!!!

Old 10-19-1999 | 02:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

DreamofPolaris,
Who said a 15 yr old was not able to handle a quad? The original post stated her son was 5'11 and 170 pds. You seem a bit defensive in all of your posts.

Anyhow, I believe you should keep the keys from him for a 2 week period or so. OR maybe until he takes the Safety course Tree Farmer suggested. I dont want to scare you, but to be riding with a 3 yr old on the back is quite dangerous. Not to mention potential lawsuits. Four wheelers are very safe and stable machines. They dont come up and bite a person unless the rider is doing something he/she should not be doing at any given experience level. It sounds like he will have a real nice ride area, but it may also be beyond his capabilities at this point. Whoever said to limit him to you view for awhile was spot-on.
I hope the whole family will enjoy this machine. Maybe another quad will be in the works down the road for you!

RoostKing...

Old 10-19-1999 | 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

Dream of Polaris.You said ,at 15,you are responsable to handle ANY quad on the market.Think about what you just said,and when your 40yrs old,right me again.Get my point yet?

Old 10-19-1999 | 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

I meant to say WRITE me again,sorry

Quick Reply: Rules and a 15 year old