Big Dummy at Uhwarrie

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-1999, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode at Uhwarrie this past weekend and saw one of the stupidest things I'd ever seen, a 30 some year old father riding a dirt bike with a 4 year old seating on the seat in front of him with a 18 month old on his back, the only GOOD thing was they were all wearing helments, oh by the way his wife was also riding a dirt bike.TOP THIS IF YOU CAN!!!! As Fred Sanford would say "you big dummy".

Old 10-26-1999, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

On saturday I was at a snowmobile grass drag. There were some dirtbikes and quads there. One particular fellow had a '99 KX500. Well, he must have been green as his bike, cuz some spode asked him if he could test ride it... (you know the type: "ya, I have ridden a bike before... You Betcha!") Well, the guy refused a helmet and took off on this borrowed bike. I didn't see it happen, but I saw the aftermath. I guess he started a major bar swap, panicked and endoed going about 50 mph. Bent the bars, broke the subframe, and broke something in the cooling system (coolant leakage). Smashed his hand and got a 1" (or bigger) goosegg on his forehead. Oh, it gets better... Two guys go tearing out to the field on a snowmobile to rescue him. The fellow on the back falls off, at about 50-60mph. He holds on for a hundred feet or so and lets go, that is when the hilarious cartwheeling begins. He didn't get hurt, luckily. I did see the guy tumbling, and I thought it was my wife crashing her Blaster. She was in the general area.
BTW this was all going on between rows of parked cars. Except for the biker, he was out past the cars when he crashed.

Old 10-27-1999, 02:02 PM
Range Rover

I ride in the South Dakota badlands at a place called Farmingdale, and you see dumb stuff once-in-awhile. One story I heard was that a grandpa brought his grandsons out and they were riding his polaris 4X4, and being a good roll model he didn't wear a helmet, but at least he made them wear one. Well grandpa rolls it down a hill with two kids on it with him. It's too bad, but brings out a good point as to why wear a helmet, because he got killed, but the kids were OK.

The worst part is that alot of people, don't wear helmets out there, and it's usually the less skilled riders who are more likely to eat it.

Old 10-31-1999, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Couple real good points someone had apost on here telling how dangerous helmets are,person aly I'll take my chances with the helmet. COB

Old 11-02-1999, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Harold,

Next time I go to Uhwarrie, I'm going to follow the four-wheel drive trucks for awhile. Last time I was there, I passed a kid driving a brand new Toyota 4 wheel drive, maybe it was his daddy's. He was pale as a sheet and wound up tight as a coil! I don't think he realized what he was getting into until it was too late. Those are some bad places to drive a truck, even if it has tracks.

I think that is some sort of sport at Uhwarrie to follow the trucks. I saw a group of ATVs following one. Of course, the truck was going REALLLLLLL slow, much slower than the four-wheelers could go. After the truck passed, they stopped and asked for directions to the parking lot, which I told them was in the opposite direction. They said they would rather follow the truck and to see what was going to happen to him. Last I saw, the ATVers were all slowly following the truck with big grins on their faces.

I'm not saying the trucks are dummies, but who else could manage a traffic jam on an All Terrain Vehicle course? I saw three trucks headed one way, stopped face-to-face with a single truck on the same trail headed in the other direction. How they got that straightened out I don't know. Wish I had stuck around to watch. Next time I will.

[This message has been edited by kclayd (edited 11-02-1999).]