"Hall Of Shame" Survey

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-1999, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rod,
That's a good idea. About the dumb posts in a section to them selves. I think there are a lot stupid posts on here. But it is only a forum and people will be like that. Sometimes you just have to sort through the bad stuff. Next we will have to determine just what is bad... Let them write whatever they want. In the end it just shows how ignorant they are.
I mean I don't like a lot of people I work with but I can't just fire them for no reason, wish I could !
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 10-28-1999, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

You may be on to something with the "Exile " thing, I really don,t enjoy some of the trashy post that occasionally pass through, although I must confess I have responded to some of them especially when it is a unprovoked attack on any manufacturer by someone who has nothing better to do. I think some sort of Policing is neccesary and maybe in extreme cases banning someone is the only solution. More opinions on this should give a better picture of what type of actions should be taken. The moderators have a tough job , I know I have gotten a little agitated with them before when they edited something but after thinking about it you realize what they are up against. There are over 3000 members on here now, all types of people. No way to satisfiy everyone.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 10-28-1999, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Gentlemen:

Remember that this topic started with a critique of Kawasaki Killer ("K-K"). His posts were either a very sick joke, or cries for help by a very sick person in need of help. I believe that K-K is suffering depression, maybe worse, and that he needs help. BUT, this IS NOT an appropriate forum for him to deal with the issues he raised: chronic depression, alcoholism, grief, and more. I doubt that any of us could do anything else, but refer him to another web site, or hot-line. The moderators were right to steer K-K elsewhere to a more appropriate forum for those issues. If his messages were some sort of cruel joke, then they do not belong anywhere on the board, whether in a trash can, or anything else.

I do not know whether or not K-K has been banned, nor whether he has yet had an opportunity to discuss the matter with the moderators. I would not favor forever banning a suicidal, or chonically depressed person from posting on the board, because he expressed thoughts which had obsessed him. I would favor giving that person guidelines, which, if not followed, would result in restrictions.

As for stupid posts, remember guys, many of us have expressed ourselves on posts such as "What a Dumb Thing to Do," and "Goofy Dumb Stuff." I think the ability to do stupid things may be one of the charms of four-wheeling. Any way, I have amazed myself at how many stupid things I have been able to do with an ATV!

Well, enough said.

Good riding.

[This message has been edited by kclayd (edited 10-28-1999).]

Old 10-28-1999, 08:00 PM

I very seldom have time to participate in these forums (wish I had the time to enjoy talking with all of you.) But since this is a subject I expect many people to be passionate about, I'd like to share my opinion.

I've been on the Internet since before there was a WWW (back when it was Gopher) I've been on Prodigy, AOL and Compuserve. I've used the Usenet News Groups. The one thing that seems to hold universally true is that unchecked, un-moderated, discussions will drag the quality of a discussion right into the toilet.

It seems that it often only takes a couple of people to turn an interesting, informative, discussion into a heated debate of personal attacks, swearing and other generally rude behavior. This is unfortunate, because those of you who are interested in sharing knowledge or learning from others, will often be prevented from doing so because of a few troublemakers who destroy a conversation.

Therefore, our rules on moderation are here so that everyone can speak their mind without risk of having someone attacking them personally. Everyone should be allowed to speak their mind without being put down. However, if someone is merely trying to inflame a discussion and it's obvious they're not trying to genuinely contribute, then moderation is called for.

Our policies on moderation are:

1) No personal attacks.
2) No swearing or other rude behavior
3) No off-topic discsussions
4) No commercial advertising

If you look at these 4 rules, and think about them, they are not unreasonable.

So, yes, I have asked our moderators to remove topics if they violate the forum guidelines. Some times the decisions are subjective. It's not an easy job to moderate. However, someone has to do it. I support the decisions my moderators make. Will they make mistakes? Sure, they probably will. But again, a few lost threads in the interest of maintaining an overall high-quality discussion forum is a small price to pay.

At times, even the software has a problem and a thread won't survive the nightly indexing of the forums. In which case, moderators may be blamed for something they didn't do.

The bottom line is that overall these forums are a pretty friendly, informative place to discuss our love for the sport.

I don't agree with the Hall of Shame suggestion/question. I think moderation is a better solution.

Regards,

Dave Beckstrom
President
ATVConnection.com Magazine

Old 10-28-1999, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with Dave...

------------------
Kevin JA Works of Georgia

1996 Yamaha Warrior

Old 10-28-1999, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

I also agree with dave free speech is important until it hurts some one

------------------
99 Grizzly , Vamped & Liffed,Warn 2500 Winch

lumber1@rochester.rr.com, Ride safe today,because to ride again tomorrow is Righteous!!!!

Old 10-29-1999, 08:24 AM
Range Rover

Dave Beckstrom,

It seems I’ve opened a can of worms here when I floated the trial balloon on the “Hall Of Shame” concept, but I believe that it has been a useful exercise to refocus attention on forum participation policy.

Your insistence on the maintenance of a high quality site free from a lot of the verbal offal that permeates many other Internet sites, regardless of subject, is something I truly appreciate. I wholeheartedly support your efforts and those of the moderators that you’ve designated to assist you.

Thanks for a GREAT site!

Army Man

Old 10-29-1999, 01:37 PM
Range Rover

I personally agree with moderation...after all, it IS Dave's Forum. Let's face it....posting messages here, etc., the way we conduct ourselves, etc., is a the same as if we were in the living room of Dave's house! If he were to get sick of us or if we were to say something inappropriate, we would risk him censoring us according to his values; either by (1) asking us to leave, or (2) asking us to shut up. Both are forms of censorship but acceptable since this Forum DOES belong to him. He owns it. He owes us nothing at all.

As far as "stupid behavior" goes, there is certainly not a definition. NOBODY can (or should) define "stupid." Instead it is your own perception and should never be implied as correct and universal. Again, remember the *****...

See, I too have been on the internet since like 1991. What's amazing is that people get "bold" when they don't have to physically face their audiences. A society usually prohibits or inhibits "off-the-wall" behavior just by its mere presence in a one-on-one setting. Quickly, suppose there is a medical convention in a large hotel ballroom...300 doctors. What would happen if some non-doctor intruder just stood up and screamed for example at the top of his lungs or maybe just insulted the speaker? He'd get thrown out or beat up---period. On the internet, however, anyone can interject a stupid comment or verbally "abuse" someone (boo hoo hoo by the way) since this person is anonymous and faces no physical confrontation. (BTW, why ANYBODY on the Forums would be "offended" by the comments of a total stranger reveals much deeper personal problems...)

I'll end now, but our society should ban ANY TYPE of censorship (whether it be from the government, church, whatever) as well as ANY attempt at defining the undefinable.

What I DO RESPECT however, is that this is Dave's Forum (which I enjoy) and he has set rules for us by which to abide. If somebody chooses not to abide then they should most definitely be shown the door or censored to DAVE's guidelines, not anyone elses.

(God, I'm starting to write long manifestos like the Tree Farmer! ha!)

Old 10-29-1999, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Personally I think it's fine the way it is. Sure you get people who make posts that are pretty childish or expressing their point of view that make no sense to us. Beside we could all use a good laugh once in a while

I've even made a dumb move by expressing my point of view on gun control. Talk about walking into a political minefield haha

99 Banshee
87 Banshee

------------------

Old 10-29-1999, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. "pflueeb," you posted earlier on this topic,

"The typical Forum user didn't even read a third of the way through your original post.."

How much did he read of your last post above?

Tree Farmer

Quick Reply: "Hall Of Shame" Survey