Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is pre-detonation.

what is pre-detonation. just wondering.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well.......there was an interesting topic on it in the bomb forums......or it led to this......

Its sparking in the exhaust stroke I believe......or before its supposed to.......

Old 12-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

If there is WAY too much heat in the combustion chamber, the excessive heat will ignite the fuel before the spark plug fires. (Similar to the way that a diesel works.)

Old 12-08-2005, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

Detonation is pre-ignition, the gas exploding from hot spots in the combustion chamber prior to spark. Higher octane fuel reduces this occurence because it burns slower than lower octane fuel.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google, it's a wonderful thing...

Definitions of detonation on the Web:

a condition, in which, after the spark plug fires, some of the unburned air-fuel mixture in the combustion chamber explodes spontaneously, set off only by the heat and pressure of air-fuel mixture that has already been ignited. Detonation, or "knock", greatly Increases the mechanical and thermal stresses on the engine.
www.autocenter.com/about/

A violent explosion involving high-velocity pressure waves; in a gasoline engine, the spontaneous combustion of part of the compresses charge after spark occurs. Detonation usually produces a characteristic metallic sound, or knock.
www.alken-murray.com/fuel-glossary.htm

the ignition of the fuel air mixture before the piston reaches top dead center.. this is a bad thing!!
http://www.warrixflyinggroup.co.uk/A...reminology.htm

An uncontrolled pressure rise and the associated heat rise caused by the reacting of the fuel in the combustion chamber. This is usually associated with the pinging sound you here from engines as multiple flame fronts collide in the combustion chamber.
http://www.eric-gorr.com/techarticle...erminology.htm

Uncontrolled burning of the last portion of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder of a spark ignition engine. Also known as "knock" or "ping".
www.caltex.com.au/products_glo.asp

A single nuclear device explosion; one or more comprise a test.
www.lanl.gov/history/hbombon/glossary.shtml

The molecular breakdown of a substance brought about by shock. Initiated by detonator.
riv.co.nz/rnza/hist/terms.htm

is a rapid explosion of fuel in the cylinder in advance of the spark plug firing. It can generate enough heat to melt the pistons and in other ways destroy the engine.
www.m-20turbos.com/definitions.htm

An action that results in hits on every unit near the detonation.
www.ccs.neu.edu/home/woj/xconq/xconq_427.html

This is a supersonic combustion wave. Detonations in gases propagate with velocities that range from 5 to 7 times the speed of sound in the reactants. For hydrocarbon fuels in air, the detonation velocity can be up to 1800 m/s. and is a function of the reactant composition, initial temperature and pressure.
http://www.sysman.co.za/Xplo/Xplo_de...n_of_terms.htm

explosion: a violent release of energy caused by a chemical or nuclear reaction
the act of detonating an explosive
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Detonation is a process of supersonic combustion that involves a shock wave and a reaction zone behind it. The shock compresses the material thus increasing the temperature to the point of ignition. The ignited material burns behind the shock and releases energy that supports the shock propagation. This self-sustained detonation wave is different from a deflagration that propagates with a subsonic speed and without a shock. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detonation

Find definitions of detonation in: English French German all languages

Old 12-08-2005, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56

a condition, in which, after the spark plug fires, some of the unburned air-fuel mixture in the combustion chamber explodes spontaneously, set off only by the heat and pressure of air-fuel mixture that has already been ignited. Detonation, or "knock", greatly Increases the mechanical and thermal stresses on the engine.
www.autocenter.com/about/

A violent explosion involving high-velocity pressure waves; in a gasoline engine, the spontaneous combustion of part of the compresses charge after spark occurs. Detonation usually produces a characteristic metallic sound, or knock.
www.alken-murray.com/fuel-glossary.htm

the ignition of the fuel air mixture before the piston reaches top dead center.. this is a bad thing!!
http://www.warrixflyinggroup.co.uk/A...reminology.htm

An uncontrolled pressure rise and the associated heat rise caused by the reacting of the fuel in the combustion chamber. This is usually associated with the pinging sound you here from engines as multiple flame fronts collide in the combustion chamber.
http://www.eric-gorr.com/techarticle...erminology.htm

Uncontrolled burning of the last portion of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder of a spark ignition engine. Also known as "knock" or "ping".
www.caltex.com.au/products_glo.asp

A single nuclear device explosion; one or more comprise a test.
www.lanl.gov/history/hbombon/glossary.shtml

The molecular breakdown of a substance brought about by shock. Initiated by detonator.
riv.co.nz/rnza/hist/terms.htm

is a rapid explosion of fuel in the cylinder in advance of the spark plug firing. It can generate enough heat to melt the pistons and in other ways destroy the engine.
www.m-20turbos.com/definitions.htm

An action that results in hits on every unit near the detonation.
www.ccs.neu.edu/home/woj/xconq/xconq_427.html

This is a supersonic combustion wave. Detonations in gases propagate with velocities that range from 5 to 7 times the speed of sound in the reactants. For hydrocarbon fuels in air, the detonation velocity can be up to 1800 m/s. and is a function of the reactant composition, initial temperature and pressure.
http://www.sysman.co.za/Xplo/Xplo_de...n_of_terms.htm

explosion: a violent release of energy caused by a chemical or nuclear reaction
the act of detonating an explosive
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Detonation is a process of supersonic combustion that involves a shock wave and a reaction zone behind it. The shock compresses the material thus increasing the temperature to the point of ignition. The ignited material burns behind the shock and releases energy that supports the shock propagation. This self-sustained detonation wave is different from a deflagration that propagates with a subsonic speed and without a shock. ...

Find definitions of detonation in: English French German all languages
Yes, <u>that's what I said!</u>

LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2005, 08:25 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally posted by: IdahoVinnie
Originally posted by: maddog56

Yes, <u>that's what I said!</u>

LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
LMAO [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I think this has been covered pretty well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

thanks guys!

one more question, how often do you guys change your oil? i change myn every 1000 miles.
is that to long of a time in-between?

Old 12-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

It's an embarassing problem most male motors go through. I hear it's more severe in older male motors, sometimes to the point of not even starting.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Quad Patrol

"i am tired of the mods being mad at me!

I FULLY SUPPORT EVRY ACTION THE MODS TAKE! including if they were to ban ME!
thanksyou atvconnection"

LOL!

Quick Reply: what is pre-detonation.