MUD RIDING TECHNIQUES

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-1999, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to say that I've tried the "wide open" approach myself, but it doesn't work where I ride! If you try that in the swampy area I ride in you won't get far before you dig the mud out from under your tires and are left sitting high centered in a rut with neither wheel touching anything! Trust me I know, I did it!

Also the drunk buddy technique is usually not as effective as first intentions may seem!

Here's another tip I picked up along the way:

Ride sober......enough said.

Believe me, I'll party with the best of them, but the idea of a 600lbs machine flipping on me or throwing me off because I'm not smart enough to ride sober does not appeal to me. I'd much rather live to ride another day.

We've had a descent turn out so far in here and some tips are being shared so let's keep it going and hear some more!

"LOCK 'EM AND LEAVE 'EM!!!"
SwampMonster

Old 11-22-1999, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

I like the Rocking technique on my Arctic Cat 500 with stock tires. Use the rocking technique I have passed threw a mud hole were a 450es with 26"(9s front/ 12s rear) Vampires got stuck right in front of me, when he tried to "gas it" he got me full of mud. After they pulled him out I went threw his ruts rocking and nailing it in 2nd gear(high range) I finaly got out. You should have seen the look on those guys' faces, they were very amazed.

Arctic Cat 500, I wan't surprised

P.S. I have seen what alchol and quad mixed can do to people, it ain't pretty.

Old 11-23-1999, 12:32 AM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the time that we are in mud, we have found that using the methods that you guys are talking about really work. One time we were out following trails, and at one point decided to take a different route back to camp. As we are riding along, I noticed that my machine was working harder, but I wasnt moving any faster. I looked down, and the earth seemed to be moving under the Quad. Right at that time the guy leading stopped, so we all had to. Everybody looked at each other and realized that we were in a swamp. I tryed to move the Quad and it would'nt go anywhere, so stupidly I got of the Quad thinking that it was like mud and I could push it out. I put my foot down, and it kept going, my Quad was floating, and I had to pull myself up and out of this crap to get back on the machine. I learned something real quick, that spinning your tires as if you were in mud does no good what so ever. I found that if I put it in first gear, and just barely turn the tires, you will move.

Ron...2000 Quadrunner

Old 11-23-1999, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

I guess I kinda left out an importan note in my last post. These Drunk Rednecks that pulled me out were camping or something. They were on horses not quads. I dont know if a drunk Horseback rider is dangerous or not. :-) They didn't really Physically help much, they just gave me encouragement. One did try to help, but he fell in the mud hole and decided to quit. So i finnaly got the thing out and went on my way.

Oh yeah, the reason I got stuck.... the wide open techniqe.

------------------
Jeremy Cross

1993 Yamaha *turbo* T-wolf

Old 11-23-1999, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

OK.. while I agree that drinking and riding isn't the smartest thing in the world... I'll let ya'll tell "bubba" and "buddy" to put the beer down.
Those of you who have been to any of the mudruns around here can attest to the fact that the intelligence level isn't exactly the highest.. (on average.. no offense Adam. His crew seems to be intelligent... they made it all the way to Marshall on their own...hehehehe)
As far as snakes that cant bite underwater... uumm... yeah they have been known to. They can't swallow, but they can bite.

Old 11-23-1999, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Swamp Monster,

Where do you ride at? I asked you this earlier but you didnt tell me. I live in Louisiana but I dont knwo of any swampy places to ride? They are all preserved and stuff. Let me know ok?

------------------
Matt Sibley

1999 Honda 300 4x4 Vampires and 2500 lb. winch

Old 11-23-1999, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Jump,bounch,shake,rattle and roll, what ever it takes to get moving again, it also helps to wear hip waders and last but not least use that snake for a tow strap!!!!

------------------
Harold Wells Raleigh NC 98 Wolverine& 97 Timberwolf Blueribbon Coalition Member

Old 11-23-1999, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know Robert, most guys out there ride better than people drive in Austin...

Old 11-23-1999, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Matt I sent an email to you. Guess you didn't get it though. I live and ride in Southeast Georgia on the farm that my wifes family owns.

Kepp on posting guys!

"LOCK 'EM AND LEAVE 'EM!!!"
SwampMonster

Old 11-23-1999, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

Well Adam,
I guess there is something GOOD to be said about main-lining river mud on the weekends...hehehehee....

Quick Reply: MUD RIDING TECHNIQUES