GPS Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006 | 10:47 AM
|
Range Rover
Default GPS Questions

I've had a Magellan GPS however recently I bought a Garmin GPSmap 60csx. Here's the problem I am having when I use the find function it will bring up a list of cities that are in my region, ok that's fine but if the city I'm looking for is not in the list you can use the "find by name" function. When I do this it finds two cities that are over 8000 miles away. As an example I'm using Bloomington,IL when I type in BL it only lists two cities over 8000 miles away. Another option in the menu is for selecting "a map" and everytime it defaults to the "use best map" but if I switch it to use Americas Rec. base map I can find Bloomington then. Do you have to go through that method everytime you want to find a U.S. cities ? On my magellan it was a very simple process.

Old 02-11-2006 | 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default GPS Questions

I have a Garmin 60cs, and love it.

I have the City Select CD loaded into it, well, at least as much of my area that will fit.

I simply goto find, and then city, sometimes places, or points of interest.

Since I only have the City Select loaded, I do not have to select a certain map,
do you have more than one map loaded?
IE: City Select, and a Topo one? or Parks and Req. ?

I am not sure how it hands two maps at once.
I thought that you could turn both on at once though.

~John

Old 02-11-2006 | 12:55 PM
|
Range Rover
Default GPS Questions

John,thank you for the reply. Well I have figured out how to find a U.S. city however it seems to require about 4 steps too many. I haven't loaded any maps . That's why I can't understand why I have to select the main base map before it will find U.S. cities its seems as though the loaded USA base map would be without question the default map.

Old 02-11-2006 | 02:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default GPS Questions

Michael2 you have to type in the whole city name. There are many cities in the US with the same name. Sometimes when I search for a certain city there will be 4 or more with the same name in the US. You just have to pick the one you want in the state you want.
I really like my 60 but I don't like the way they have the keyboard layout. The old units just had all the alphabet in a line and I thought it was easier and quicker.
The city select is unbelievable software!!!! It even have about 50% of the trails I ride on.

Old 02-11-2006 | 02:35 PM
|
Range Rover
Default GPS Questions

Doctorturbo thanks for the reply, I guess I'm not explaining the problem just right because I know what you mean about the city lists because in my magellan if you type in "Springfield" you may get 20 cities and all you have to do is select the one you want now if I do this with the garmin I get 2 cities named springfield. But it gives you an option to change the map to what they call the "Americas Rec. Basemap" if this map is used then you get your list of 20 or so Springfields.
The real problem is everytime you do the search I have to manually access this map. So I guess my main question is why would that map with more information not be the default map. I'll keep looking to see if there is some setting somewhere that I need to select but I'll probably have to call Garmin Monday. If that is the way it operates I'm pretty sure it will be going back. Thanks again.

Old 02-11-2006 | 04:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default GPS Questions

Michael2 sorry about the disunderstanding. I don't really remember too much about the unit before I loaded the city select maps. If I have time tonight (doubt it) I will look up the switch map function.
It's really weird that you have base maps and you have to switch it to the base map. No doubt it's just a defalt setting. I have to use my unit a lot or I get lost easily. As you know, lots of menu's and sub-menu's and sub- menu's of sub-menu's!!!! A lot of info in that unit!!!
Very few people on here have the 60; how do you like yours?

Old 02-11-2006 | 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS Questions

A little off subject here, but what are the main differences between the Garmin 60cs and the 76cs? I would like to buy a gps, but need to find a used unit. Thanks

Old 02-11-2006 | 07:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default GPS Questions

I think I have been in the sun too long today. I have a 76 not a 60.
Anyway, the 60 and 76 are pretty close in spec's. The one main one I know of is the memory, I think the 76 has 128 and the 60 has like 64 mb. The new ones have a sandisk card now so that is not really a problem anymore. I knew that was going to come out but I could not wait that long to get my unit.

Old 02-11-2006 | 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS Questions

Thanks for the info!

Old 02-15-2006 | 07:48 PM
Range Rover
Default GPS Questions

I have two Garmins, the Etrex Vista C and Ique 3600. Both have the same protocols for data so I assume yours does also. I had problems with the software on both units immedately after purchase. Garmin was several releases beyond the OS tha came with the unit. After installing the most current the problems went away.

I also experienced a similar problem with the "find" feature you are having with my Ique. I called Garmin's help (helpful but always a long wait) and they asked if I had a SD card. Yes I did, 512mb. Had I previously loaded any "City Select" maps. Yes. Did I overwrite or reformat when loading new maps. Overwrite. Wrong. They wanted me to do a complete reboot, and format of the SD card each time inorder to prevent the problem I had which you are also experiencing with your city find. If you don't have extra memory installed, I'd recommend backing up your data and using the most current OS, and reload from scratch. I think that will make most of your problems go away and you'll be happy with the result. Be sure and follow Garmin's on-line instructions to a "T" or you may screw your unit up badly enough it will have to be sent in to get "unscrewed." Their help line will walk you through it if you are unsure. Both my units work fine now and I'm very happy with them. I use the Ique as a PDA and city Navigation, and the Etrex is on the quad with a handle bar mount. I've loaded topos of riding areas. My only complaint is I wish the Etrex's screen was larger.

Quick Reply: GPS Questions