I have a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006 | 08:23 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default I have a question

Hi this isn't completly ATV related but maybe someone can help me.

Ok I am thinking of using this diff for a froject mini sand rail that I am building.

Diff

Now the question is: Do you think it can hold up to the torque of a 500-700cc atv engine??

Thanks

Andrea

Old 02-14-2006 | 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

it gives no info about it. what its made of. what size shafts will fit in it. so how do you know how big it is?

if its built for a 3/4 axel or up get it anythign under is too small IMO.

hope i helped.

Fred.

Old 02-14-2006 | 09:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

My first comment is I personally would never use a differential for what you are trying to do. A 1" piece of solid chrome molly would work just fine with two pillow block bearings.
You will want a locked axel or you will go no where in the sand.

Old 02-15-2006 | 12:57 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I understand what you are saying but dont you think that a 9 foot go-kart is going to be too hard to steer without a diff? I mean "real" sand rails have the diff in the tranny.

What do you think.
I am also looking at a lockable diff except I am even more worried about the abuse it can handle.

Andrea

Old 02-15-2006 | 11:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I understand what you are saying but dont you think that a 9 foot go-kart is going to be too hard to steer without a diff? I mean "real" sand rails have the diff in the tranny.
A locked up rear end has nothing to do with how hard a vehicle steers. Now on a locked up front end, that's a different story.
Every machine that goes in the sand has some type of a locked rear end. By spool, straight axel or some other means, you need to lock the axel or your going nowhere in the sand. One tire with power just dosen't cut it in sand. Sometimes two just dosen't cut it!!!!

Old 02-15-2006 | 03:18 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
A locked up rear end has nothing to do with how hard a vehicle steers. Now on a locked up front end, that's a different story.
Every machine that goes in the sand has some type of a locked rear end. By spool, straight axel or some other means, you need to lock the axel or your going nowhere in the sand. One tire with power just dosen't cut it in sand. Sometimes two just dosen't cut it!!!!
You're kidding on a locked rear end not affecting steering, right? I've been in a Jeep and with the rear locked (ARB Air lcoker) they don't turn worth a cr@p, even on dirt, with a locked rear. Differentials are there because it's a PITA to turn a locked axle.

And it is completely possible to drive on sand without a locked axle. I do it every time I go to Pismo. And unless you have a vehicle with a limited slip diff, or locker, you do.

Locked axles make it easier, definately.

The locked diff. will make the turning radius larger. So if you already have a large turning radius, it's not as big of an issue. The issue is the radius of each wheels' turning arc.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 02-15-2006 | 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

You're kidding on a locked rear end not affecting steering, right? I've been in a Jeep and with the rear locked (ARB Air lcoker) they don't turn worth a cr@p, even on dirt, with a locked rear. Differentials are there because it's a PITA to turn a locked axle.

And it is completely possible to drive on sand without a locked axle. I do it every time I go to Pismo. And unless you have a vehicle with a limited slip diff, or locker, you do.

Locked axles make it easier, definately.

The locked diff. will make the turning radius larger. So if you already have a large turning radius, it's not as big of an issue. The issue is the radius of each wheels' turning arc.
I agree with the above. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2006 | 10:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

No I'm not kidding. A locked rear has nothing to do with front steering. My rear wheel drive quad and race car for that matter (locked) steers just as light as any vehical with a diff. Now I'm talking steering difficulity here, (how much torque it takes to turn the bars or steering wheel not how the thing turns in a circle.

Now if you want to talk about handling and turning radius that's a different story. These can both be taken care of with power. A quad, car, truck, sand rail or whatever will always be faster if it's locked up. I don't care what kind of surface you on.

And did you do this in TWD? If so, some sand is packed so hard I can drive a TWD semi on it and not get stuck. Most is so fluffy I can get stuck with 11" balloon tires and all 6 tires spinning. Ya, I have a 6X6 and had it stuck more than once at the beach.

This is rarely an issue at a beach. Traction is always an issue at the beach.

Old 02-16-2006 | 05:56 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Ok. Now say that i was going to use the mini buggy in all sorts of terain. From beaches to trails to maybe even street. What would you recomend. Especially if sand would be the least used??

Andrea

Old 02-17-2006 | 01:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Tough question.
I would have to say I would put a locked rear in anything except a street vehicle. I have driven my drag car on the street and it was not fun!!! Everything else I can think of I would want a locked up rear end.
All quads have a locked up rear, and they steer and handle just fine except for pavement. They go on all types of terain and handle just fine.
All serious race cars have locked up rear ends, that includes go-carts, drag cars, road race and circle track cars.

Quick Reply: I have a question