2 winches on 1 quad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-1999, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aniel;do as you please!! You worry about paying so much for a winch then deside to buy1500 if that don't work buy bigger, why don't you listen to sound advise you have been given and get at least #2000,and if I'm not mistaken I think Tree mentioned A ****** block also.

Old 12-13-1999, 09:44 AM
Range Rover

TreeFarmer,

tsk, tsk, tsk.

Your physics teacher would be highly disapointed in you. Two 1500 lbs. winches pulling in opposite directions would still only be 1500 lbs. of pull.

If you had them both pulling in the same direction you could combine their pull. Each one is capable of 1500 lbs. When the first one reached this weight limit, the second one would not be able to pull any more without breaking.

The only reason I'm addressing this to you, TreeFarmer, is because I expect more from you. You consistantly show a vast knowlege in areas outside ATVs.

------------------
Kevin Staton
Y2K Polaris Magnum 325 4x4
<a href="www.korrnet.org/watvclub">Windrock ATV Club</a>

Old 12-13-1999, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

News for you, Kevin! Not only was my Physics teacher disappointed in me! He joined the entire faculty and staff in that common sentiment.

However, no one, certainly not I, ever considered Aniel's winches pulling antagonistically, i.e., one pulling forward, and one pulling rearward. Unless Aniel wants to separate his quad's frame, rigging the winches to pull against each other makes little practical sense to me.

Instead, I assumed Aniel would rig his winches to pull together; as in, snaking the cable from one of his winches under his quad if necessary and attaching it to a pull point located in a direction generally common to the other winch.

My vague and flawed memory of principles my valiant and learned mentors attempted teaching me in vain contains a notion. Each winch produces a VECTOR, a quantity with both magnitude (i.e., force, pounds of "pull") and direction. These vectors combine in a resultant, additive based upon the vectors' magnitudes (1500 # max each in the case of two SuperWinch 1500's), and the geometric (trigonometric) relationship of their directions. The addition of vectors produces a resultant. If the two directions are coincident, the resultant is the sum of the magnitudes in the common direction, or: 3000 # force in the direction of pull.

What more can I say? Now, I've disappointed even YOU by my academic underachievement. I think this makes it unanimous, Kevin!

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 12-13-1999).]

Old 12-13-1999, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

TREE;I couldn't have said it better myself.You took the words out of my mouth!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by corncob2 (edited 12-13-1999).]

Old 12-13-1999, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Along with my front mounted 1500 lb. winch. I
carry a come-along winch to pull me out backwards. A 100 foot thick nylon rope. 2 ****** blocks, 1 army shovel. a few thick metal clamps for hook ups. By god, if I cannot get my atv out with all that gear. Then I deserve to be stuck. This amount of gear should be enough to get you out. Of course you need some kind of utility box to carry the equipment. I am using the tamarrack
utility box. I think its a good box.
good luck... rangerchet.. chet lake.
year 2000 polaris xpedition 425 cc 5 speed.

[This message has been edited by rangerchet (edited 12-13-1999).]

Old 12-13-1999, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rangerchet, I agree: with a 1500 # winch, one ****** block give you 3000 # extraction force. Properly rigged, the other ****** block brings the pull up to 6000 #. Add the comealong, and we've got a total of 8000 # pull available. That's enough force to free ANY quad!

Wait a minute. Did you say you rode a POLARIS? (Smiley face here, Polaris friends, just kidding!)

Tree Farmer

Old 12-13-1999, 01:47 PM
Range Rover

I was wondering.. IF I bought both winches, put one on the front, and one on the rear.... hooked them to two different trees... and cranked them both full throttle in opposite directions.. HOW much would it streach my short quad? (I always wanted one of those Streach Limo Quads)..lol

Old 12-13-1999, 02:34 PM
TDS
Weekend Warrior

One good use for the front and back winch arrangement is the that quad would be handy for getting other people out. With the back line anchored and the front to a stuck quad you would have double the pull and double the line speed.
Here is a tip.
Most of the time when you are stuck in the very sticky stuff the biggest obstacle to winch power is the suction created by the mud. Use a log (about 6 ft long) and stand it up vertical with the winch cable over the top . This will pull the quad up and out. Don't get me wrong, this isn't easy but if you are out of options it does work.

Old 12-13-1999, 02:40 PM
Range Rover

Tree,

You sound like me, academically: often on the Dean's "Other List" and graduated Magna *** Lucky!

I don't remember much from my physics classes except for the Levi's example of force. The label on a pair of Levis has two horses pulling a pair of jeans in opposite directions. Our instructor made the point that this was good advertising. It is more impressive to have two horses than having one horse and a tree even though it produced the same amount of force on the jeans.

You sound like someone who learns more now than they did when they were in school. I know I find history fascinating now and couldn't stand it when I was in school. Go figure.

------------------
Kevin Staton
Y2K Polaris Magnum 325 4x4
<a href="www.korrnet.org/watvclub">Windrock ATV Club</a>

Old 12-13-1999, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Two wenches on one Quad? Sounds a little bit like the old Beach Boy's song, "Two Girls for Everrrrrrry Boy."

Not a bad idea!

Quick Reply: 2 winches on 1 quad?