are gas cans unsafe offroad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are gas cans unsafe offroad?

Originally posted by: atomlinson
I hope you didn't take my response the wrong way, Ginnis, and I apologize if you did. I really was curious if you could get a rack can for $20, because I'd buy one right now. I think it's ridiculous to pay $80-$100 for a gas can that holds less than 5 gallons. However they fit so much nicer on the rack than bungeeing down a 5-gal can. It's bad enough we now have to pay an arm and a leg for the gasoline itself....
NOOOOOO!! I was just clearing things up!! It does sound like I was mad though.... sorry, just came out wrong. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done around 100 miles in a day a few times. I've usually not needed the extra gas but it's been close. Often the longer trips are broken up into two parts with a refueling at camp. on those trips there's obviously no issue. I usually strap a two gallon gan to my front rack so it can't move at all. I like it on the front so I can keep an eye on it. If were going to be more than 20 miles from camp I think one of us should have some extra fuel. Things happen you know. If nothing else you may run into someone that needs gas.

I've never had a leak I only had the can buldge on me once (parked in the sun) all I did was crack the lid for a second to release the pressure, and off we rode. I don't think anything bad would have happened if I left tha can sealed but it put me at ease to know I let the pressure out. I would reccomend using a newer can if possible. Make sure it seals well before you use it on your atv. If you use common sense you should have no problems.

I'd really like to have one of the flat rack cans but I can't seem to find a good deal on those. If anyone knows where you can get these cheap please post it here.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

they have them at tractor supply, cant remember how much tho....

Old 08-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

My friends and i got the out and back rack with the one gallon can.
We carry 110 for the banshee in the group.Only one of us had a problem.
He didnt check the bungees before taking off and it bounced around enough to
leak.Mainly just a smelly anoyance.Good luck trying to prove otherwise to your
parents though,we are a stubborn bunch.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have packed extra gas many times and never had a problem. I always use a plastic jug like a one gal anti freeze jug or a half gal two stroke premix oil jug. I pack these either strapped to my fanny pack belt or in a back pack. This has usually been on a two wheel dirt bike. But I have also strapped two half gal jugs to my 400EX rack. I start dumping gas into my tank as soon as I have any room. Danger is way over stated and nearly non existant. I would say that a much larger percentage of riders get hurt learning wheelies than packing extra gas. Riding double is also more dangerous than packing gas. And what about riding at Glamis on Thanksgiving weekend if you want to see dangerous.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

since i found a safe way to carry it (because bungee cords had failed me twice ) my parents let me take it. now look at he awsomeness of my $5 creation.
Text
Text

Old 08-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

good job man! that's ingenuity![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

thanks i got my idea from how car batteries are secured

Old 08-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

you might wanna put somthing to keep the wing nuts from un-screwing.

other then that its a great idea! good job.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

i forgot to make up dated pics but i drilled holes for pins to go into

Quick Reply: are gas cans unsafe offroad?