Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Crocodile Hunter" Killed

RIP croc hunter

Old 09-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

What an amazing guy he was.....so sad...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]I hate hearing of these guys leaving young kids behind[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]......

here is another guy that lived on the edge and left a kid behind:

Dan Osman (February 11, 1963 - November 23, 1998) was an extreme sport practitioner, known for the exceptionally dangerous sports of "free-soloing" (rock climbing without ropes or other safety gear) and doing "controlled free-falls" (deliberately falling several hundred feet (his record was over 1200 feet) from a cliff while relying on a safety rope). He was known for living a bohemian lifestyle, rarely working, and living in a treehouse for months at a time. However he was the star of several rock climbing videos, which brought free-soloing to a wider audience.

He died November 23, 1998 at the age of 35 when his rope was not properly calculated during a controlled free-fall jump from a rock pillar called Leaning Tower in Yosemite National Park. He is survived by his daughter Emma Osman.

Dan Osman, known in the world of climbing as simply "Dano" was criticized by many as being careless and irresponsible. Still, Osman remains a legend in the worlds of Speed-Soloing and Roped Cliff Jumping.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

R.I.P Steve [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] what a tragity ..

Old 09-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

Always thought it'd be that hungry 18 foot croc that got him.... our prayers go out to your family, Steve. R.I.P.... Crikey!!

Old 09-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RIP. =[

Old 09-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like many of you, I am suprised it wasn't a Croc that did him in. Sad story, he seemed like a really nice guy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

RIP

Old 09-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

It is very sad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] He put his life on the line doing his job of choice and by doing so, built a career around adreneline. Alot of times I watched his show thinking....it's just a matter of time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Average people do this everydayon the job. My thoughts and prayers do go out to his family and to the world for the loss of such a great man. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The man was passionate about animals, his family, and life. His goal was to help protect wild life and educate people so they could better appreciate.

It's very ironic that a sting ray did him in...almost hard to believe. Sting rays are usually pretty docile creatures. I guess we'll soon find out more about what went wrong. What a terrible loss especially for his beautiful wife and children.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And to think I've swam with those things.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

No, they said Sting Rays have only killed about 5 people that's on record. They "think" the Stingray felt trapped between Steve and the camera man, which is why it struck him with it's tail. I guess they have Steve on video pulling the barb out of his chest, and then I guess he passed away suddenly.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: motox26
And to think I've swam with those things.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

No, they said Sting Rays have only killed about 5 people that's on record. They "think" the Stingray felt trapped between Steve and the camera man, which is why it struck him with it's tail. I guess they have Steve on video pulling the barb out of his chest, and then I guess he passed away suddenly.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Yeah, pretty much what I read too. Instinct would make you pull it out, but I have to wonder what would have happen had he left it in there. Probably just delayed death, as I read the barb had pierced his heart, pulling it out would have done some major damage. If anyone has ever seen one of these barbs they are sort of serrated to where when they are attempted to be pulled out, they catch more flesh and make the wound bigger. Not to mention, the effects the venom had on his heart, being that it was basicly injected directly to the heart.

Quick Reply: "Crocodile Hunter" Killed