Wake up call for the Big 4 ATV Manufacturers

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wake up call for the Big 4 ATV Manufacturers

just tell me they come with a 100,000 mile warranty like the hyndai's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya know, I am starting to see this at the local riding spots too. A few years ago I never saw offbrand stuff. The last time I rode there were a ton of the lower end Chinese makes. Quality on them improves every year, a few brands have good buzz and are starting to build a reputation. Competition is getting cutthroat, as Dinli I believe just pulled out of the mini market due to lower end competition eating up thier profits. In this day and age, i can certainly understand when someone buys the cheaper stuff and looks to make it work for them. What has really dissapointed me is not that there is competition, but that Suzuki and Kawasaki just rolled out all new minis and they aren't competitive with many of the other imports. Those two had the chance to make some more competiton oriented minis, and basically just stayed the course instead.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

I hope you are right about the big three dropping prices, cause a worse thing could play out like the big three dropping in quality and becoming more like the scum-sucking bottom-feeders(china built)....I already see this happening with polaris and most of the mini's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

5 - 10 years is probably to long. That is what it took the car manufacturers in the 70s but with today's technology it will probably only be another 2 years, or less.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

GM and Ford lacked in quality and customer service while toyota and honda were lightyears ahead....I do not see the same scenario unfolding with china built quads IMHO....my 2 cents

Old 12-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

Japanese ATVs were a natural expansion of their motorcycle production. Everything but frames were already in place with allocated R&D passed to the ATV division, established dealer networks were also in place and demand markets identified. Comparing current production Chinese ATVs to Japanese ATVs is apples to oranges.

China fills a niche ATV market, youth, up to 250cc size, without serious competition. Building ATVs for that market is no different than the process of manufacturing lawn mowers or other semi-sophisticated power equipment. If demand slows, retooling is quick and efficient to serve other markets by seasonal demand. Directing resources into improvements for products serving a market that's primarily driven by consumer whim (little johnny has to have one because the jones kid has one), pricing and somewhat finite expansion (kids off-road) doesn't make much sense. The primary issue of R&D application, what ultimately provides the best ROI, is also in question with youth ATVs at the mercy of a US debt driven economy showing every indication of arriving at disposable income capacity. Anyone watching the USD?

Old 12-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

The "big 4" need to wake up but its not because of the low budget Chiness imports, its because of companies like Polaris, Can-Am, AC, KTM, etc. These companies will be the ones taking market share from the Japeness 4, not some knock off import company from China that reverse engineers a bike and then rebuilds one with cheap and inferior parts.

Almost 20 years ago people were making similiar predictions about the Korean auto manufactures about how they would steal market share from Japeness auto makers, but to date that has not been a real issue. Until quality control becomes a concern for the chiness and korean companies they will not make a signifigant dent in the market.

Also, here is my prediction for the auto-makers. To survive and be prosperous you will see Ford and GM merge within the next 3-8 years, I believe they will become one company.......hmm, will it be GMord or ForGM.....then I can go and buy my brand new E85 hybrid the Silverado F-150 and park it next to my Maltarus (malibu + taurus). I can't wait for this to happen as it will make the NASCAR crowd nuts.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

when i first saw the chinese knock offs i laughed and still do, but i have to admit they are getting better from when they came out. my neighbour just bought a 50 for his kid and i was impressed. its just as good as all the other ones, and cost 600 bucks instead nearly 3000. things will have to ballence out some time

Old 12-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dirthead
The "big 4" need to wake up but its not because of the low budget Chiness imports, its because of companies like Polaris, Can-Am, AC, KTM, etc. These companies will be the ones taking market share from the Japeness 4, not some knock off import company from China that reverse engineers a bike and then rebuilds one with cheap and inferior parts.

Almost 20 years ago people were making similiar predictions about the Korean auto manufactures about how they would steal market share from Japeness auto makers, but to date that has not been a real issue. Until quality control becomes a concern for the chiness and korean companies they will not make a signifigant dent in the market.
Dream on. That's blind patriot talk. The US hasn't even manufactured tool steel in years while Japanese engineering, production and quality control methodology are now the mark for all manufacturers and being implemented in China, soon to be the largest vehicle market in the world, in their entirety by Japanese manufacturers. A Korean car has the longest and most comprehensive US warranty in the business. And they're all profitable.

Old 12-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: dirthead

Also, here is my prediction for the auto-makers. To survive and be prosperous you will see Ford and GM merge within the next 3-8 years, I believe they will become one company.......hmm, will it be GMord or ForGM.....then I can go and buy my brand new E85 hybrid the Silverado F-150 and park it next to my Maltarus (malibu + taurus). I can't wait for this to happen as it will make the NASCAR crowd nuts.
There was already talk this year about a Ford/GM merger, but it was shot down. I don't think it will happen, I think Ford, GM and DC will stay the big three and I think that will be it. What will happen is that they just won't be as BIG as they are now. They will need to downsize and retool and become more user specific.

Quick Reply: Wake up call for the Big 4 ATV Manufacturers