Anyone Do Search and Rescue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Do Search and Rescue?

I am going to a meeting next month to see about joining up with our local group.
I have extensive military experience with maps and land navigation. Plus I love riding my quad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Anyone here do it and what has been your experience?
Thanks.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

That is something I alway's wanted to do. But never went through with it because my job requries me to work A minimem of 12hrs. A day. Have all the equipment for search and rescue need,s. Just not the time.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Range Rover

Rover,

While many ATV Search and Rescue Teams (ATVSAR's) have been around since the days of the ATC-250, new ATVSAR's are forming all over the country in response to the growing number of off-highway accidents. Most are affiliating with existing emergency service agencies within a community. For example, the counties on either side of us each have organized "Rescue Squads" with ATVSAR as a subdivision within their organizations. As my county does not have an organized ATVSAR team, and like "Middle Age Crazy" - who's got the time anymore, I'm no longer active in a rescue squad. Although I served 15 years as a volunteer firefighter, rescue technician and EMT in our district. However, I do keep my hands and feet in the field by providing assistance at several fire & rescue schools around our state each year. My business requires attendance at 8 to 12 of these events annually.

All things considered, most ATVSAR groups do it for the right reason; for the greater good of their community as a whole. However, watch out if politics plays to strong a role in the day to day operations of the organization. As in any group of human beings, petty personal and political "issues" sometimes get ugly.

It sound like your military knowledge, skills and abilities will be a valuable addition to the prospective team. But, make sure to inquire about the availability of specialized ATVSAR training opportunities in and near your state. Through these courses, you will pick up additional skill sets not usually found in purely recreational riders. With your land nav skills, you may want to offer to teach or coach that subject at one of these sessions. Here's a little trick: collect all the hand-held GPS devices at the begining of each class. Don't let the attendees have them back until they demonstrate a good working knowledge of a topo map and compass. Sometimes you have to let them get lost before they really find themselves.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am a firefighter and have worked for USAR (urban search and rescue). We were employed by the federal goverment. I personally never did anything on a quad but we did have a small group that used them. The experience was great, probablly the best training I ever had. But like always good things come to an end. Our region closed up and moved southeast into florida where they are now utilized after natural disasters like hurricanes. If I had this opportunity again I would jump at it. If you have the ability to get involved do it, you won't be disappointed.....Bull

Old 02-03-2007, 01:08 AM
Quad Patrol

I was involved in search and recovery as a public safety diver and swift water rescuer, While I wasn't the one on the atv (I used our 4x4 Broncos) I did countless recoveries and rescues on our Kodiac, PWC's and 2 jet boats we had for a local agency that I was employed with for 17 years. I'd still be doing it if I wasn't retired. Unfortunately, you have to be a full time employee to be on the team[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] and in good physical shape! I loved every minute of it and miss it the most.

I say go for, it can be very rewarding. You might not find everyone alive[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But what you do bring to the victim's family is closure. Good Luck