how do you carry your stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2000 | 01:20 PM
|
Range Rover

i guess i need to carry dry gas to de-ice my brakes in winter along with all the other crap. what do you guys use to carry your stuff if you don't have a rack? backpack? do you really want all the stuff rolling around in a backpack? dry gas, a cell phone, snacks, tp...etc? is that the only choice? suggestions, please!

Old 12-20-2000 | 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

We use a Cabelas weather resistant bag (Come-along, tow strap, tools, cabelas fix a flat kit, spare gloves, & bandana) on the the back of the Rancher on the rear racks. The front racks we use a Cargo net & bungie cords for a spare gas can. The Recon we use a Tuff Tote box on the rear to hold lunches, toilet paper, & collapsable(spelling?) shovel.

During the summer we will use camel backs to hold additional water.

The kid uses a back pack since his little quad doesn't have any racks. He carries snacks & water in his back pack.

Old 12-20-2000 | 03:42 PM
Trailblazer

I ride with someone else who has a storage compartment on her quad. Put lunch, and other gear in that and off we go. She likes having a backrest when we stop, and doesn't ride such that it gets in the way.

When that fails I'm normally goign fishing, not riding, so I just pull a trailer. My ATC might be rated to only tow 200 lbs, but I have no problems with 1300 or so, other then getting traction.

Old 12-22-2000 | 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

I have a canvas rack pack from Cabelas. It has a bag on each side, plus one at the back, all held together with a flat canvas sheet over the racks. Its not a big tub or anything but it holds pretty much anything I need to take. Plus I like the low profile and it doesn't rattle like some boxes. If you don't have a rack, I've seen some useful-looking "saddle bags" that hang over the gas tank.

Sometimes I put my chainsaw on the front rack. I just stick it in a long narrow box and run a few bungies over it. Sure I have to replace the box each year, but its free and it works just fine.

For the big jobs, I use the ATV trailer from Northern.

Old 12-22-2000 | 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

my friend has some bags that hang from the grab bar on his 400EX. i don't know where he got em or the company though. u have a lakota sport right? they might not make something that fits that yet but i dunno. u should look around. a guy down my street has a lakota sport and if he gets something like that i'll post it on here and i'll find out where he got it.

Old 12-25-2000 | 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the time you bring the buddy with the utility quad! Otherwise the backpack is the only idea that comes to me. Leave the tow straps and come alongs and that junk at home........Just dont get stuck =-)

Old 12-26-2000 | 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Buy yourself a fanny pack, it works great to carry a plug, phone, drinks, tools, cosmetics.LOL, sorry I had to put that.
You dont feel it on you while riding and you know that your stuff is secured.
Racks are utility, you bought a sport quad lets keep it that way.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 12-26-2000 | 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Several companies, such as Malcom Smith Racing make enduro packs in many different configurations, and sizes. They are a lot like fanny packs and you can get them with one or two water bottle holders. I spotted one at Target for 20 bucks that came in many different colors and gave it a try. It lasted me about a year but gave up the ghost after one too many crashes. If you don't crash on it it should last longer. The ones from the motor cylcle apparal makers are a lot stronger. If you don't like that or need more room, get a 6-pack rack and put stuff in there.

Old 12-27-2000 | 08:31 AM
|
Range Rover

Hey Scramdaddy, i was thinking about my curling iron! this helmet hair is really starting to get to me! LOL just kidding. NOT! thanx for all the info guys, i knew i could depend on you guys! U R the best! i think i will stay with the backpack and maybe a tank bag or handle bar bag for my cell phone (not that i ever get stuck, HA) and a drink! thanx again y'all!

Old 12-27-2000 | 05:00 PM
Range Rover

Curling iron!!!!!! You crack me UP!!!!!!
Anyhow...my husband and I are in the process of trying to rig something up on our 400exs. Right now I have a fanny pack that I put on my handle bars for the camera and a few other little things.
At Wayne Nat'l forest, Rob saw a guy who used 3 or 4" PVC pipe to make a "carrying pack". He had it attached to the back grab bar somehow. You could put all sort of neat things in it.... Levers, tools, tire repair kit, master link, spark plug...things like that.
girlatvr2.....If you come up with something else... let me know!!! We were in the middle of no where once and Rob's clutch lever broke clean off....we learned then that we need to carry spare parts and pieces. WHERE to put them is the problem!!!
Later...

Quick Reply: how do you carry your stuff?