Alot of People Are Confused About Jap. & China Made ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alot of People Are Confused About Jap. & China Made ATV's

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dennislindenas I stated earlier alot of the parts ARE MADE IN CHINA for ALL the BIG names so do A little Homework........... Dennis</end quote></div>

.......yes but the difference is the level of QUALITY CONTROL that the big 4 insist on before they accept those parts!

Believe me, I know about how the Chinese mind works! I work in a lab group with several post docs (people who have PhD's!) from over there, and you can count on them to cut corners and do it the quick and (very) dirty way every time. It's their culture!!! I spend lots of time cleaning up their mistakes. Wouldn't hurt if they could speak english...either.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:18 PM
2 strokes or 4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you start out with a jap. machine you won't need a mech., get the whole picture, it will start everytime you get on it. With proper maintenence there is no need for repair. Everytime I go outside my HONDA is ready to ride, that's what counts in my little world.... If you buy chinese you get what you deserve!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

K yes I do AGREE they do CUT CORNERS!! but you (anyone) can find a part (or) parts made for a NAME BRAND MACHINE that will WORK! K I AM NOT BIASED IN ANY WAY!!! someone say's HONDA, YAMAHA, how about let's toss in even though they don't make a 4 wheeler HARLEY! (ALOT of the parts are MADE IN CHINA..) even FORD CHEVY the list goes on... "All I'm Tryin' to say is let's all give EVERYONE a CHANCE not everyone can be (or is) perfect!!.." and as FAR AS MECH. GO THEY ARE NEEDED AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER!!!!!!!!! sayin' (sdm111) here's a little ? for you in your little world (WOULD U GO TO A FOOT DR. FOR A HEART ATTACK?) NO I think not!!! That's my OPINION.. but with proper MAINT. as YOU pointed out NO PROBLEMS!!! BUT I STILL BELIEVE SO LONG AS U R RIDIN' and bein' safe to do so!!!!!! IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW I WANNA GET BACK!! let's just try and HELP those (THAT CAN'T AFFORD A BIG NAME MACHINE (HONDA, YAMAHA, KAWASAKI, ETC...) to keep there's runnin' if "WE" can.... MAINTENANCE & BEIN IN THE WIND IS ALL THAT MATTERS if ATV'ERS "R" gonna nit pick over what U R ridin it's not worth ridin' IT'S ALL SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT HAVIN' FUN!!!!! Dennis

Old 12-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

Is there any major reason that we don't see Chinese cars even though the trade deficit is extremely biased in China's favor? Maybe due to very bad quality? Here we are importing child toys full of lead for our kids and yet they can't send us a car worth selling? Even Korea sends us cars worth driving. Maybe quality and parts. Seems sort of common sense to me. If they could sell anything worth while mechanically to us, well, they would have by now.
I originally thought about buying a Chinese machine for my son for an ATV but after hearing horror stories I went with a used Suzuki which has been very reliable. Others I know personally haven't been as lucky with their Chinese machines.
Buck

Old 12-15-2007, 12:35 PM
2 strokes or 4

O.k. you win. I'm going ride............................Later.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Trailblazer

Hi there. I'm Japanese, living in Japan. Let me introduce of Chinese ATV status in Japan, please. In advance, I have to apologize my terrible Japa-lish. Hope these my poor words would make sense to you.
We've been having a boom of China ATV, here in Japan. Not few adults, mainly in 30s to 50s, play with them, not with Japanese ATVs. Chinese ATVs are so cheap and it is so easy to buy through Internet. They say Chinese ATVs we can buy in Japan are 2nd class products which dropped from the main line for US or EU markets in China Factories. Indeed their qualities are absolutely low, lower than those you can buy in US probably. No much enough reliabilities and easy to break. How we enjoy with them? Most of such Chinese ATV freaks recognize them as "Just Base Materials" to add modifications or improvements. Yes, we do enjoy with China-ATVs trying to improve their performances and reliabilities. Just give a glance on "My Page", please. You can find several improvements on Engine, Frame, Suspensions and so on.
There is another reason of China-ATV boom. We can ride ATVs with Engines less than 50cc on the public-road despite we cannot do with most of Japanese big ATVs. Actually I go to work by Chinese ATV. It's economical because of the superior fuel efficiency.
Japanese ATVs, they are basically from the country I live, indeed they are popular in Japan as well. There are a lot people enjoy with Japanese Big ATVs in closed places like Race ways. But we can not deny that Chinese ATVs are increasing in Town for the reason I said above.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jessie_atvruns, thanks for the insight into the atv world in your country. I am kind of surprised that the bigger manufacturers haven't produced quads to compete with the Chinese uprising. Still, looks like you guys have a lively aftermarket for these things. Good luck, wish I could ride a quad to work!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

My problem with the Chinese ATVs has a lot to do with their safety .....

It does not matter if you can wrench, or if you can make a Honda part work on your China-Ride ...... what matters is when I hear stories of kids being nearly burned alive when their Chinese ATV catches fire while they are riding down the trail.... or the front A-arm snaps and sends the kid flying over the bars ..... or the foot peg breaks off and an ankle is shattered ..... or a wheel is destroyed with one hit to a rock that would not have dented a rim on any high quality ATV ...... .. or the throttle gets stuck and rides the kid into a tree......etc...etc...etc....

I've heard way too many nightmares just like these related to Chinese ATVs......

If you are going to put down the smooth trail at 10-20 mph three times a year, maybe a Chinese ATV will work for you. But I don't really know anyone besides hunters or farmers who really ride like that. And what is scary is that I don't know anyone who has had a good experience with a Chinese ATV, and I know a lot of ATV riders out there. Many of whom have kids and have bought Chinese ATVs. Almost without exception they are all out of commission now. Be it catastrophic failure or just a simple break that they cannot seem to get a part for.....

One of the guys I know, his son grew out of his Chinese 50 before his 4th ride...... the rear axle bent and snapped on the 3rd ride, then the thing sat in the garage for a year before they ever found a rear axle that would work... now they are trying to sell it for $250 bucks and the rear axle still does not work right.....

IMO it is better to buy a used, Japanese or American or Canadian ATV.... If you are good enough to retro fit some odd part onto a new Chinese ATV, you should be able to go to the dealer, get parts, and keep ANY OLD brand name ATV running for years and years and years......... Hell I know people with Warriors so old they were built when I was still in High School (I'm 35) and they are still going ...... My buddy has a 400ex with so many hours on it that the compression won't even hold the thing on a hill anymore, it will just roll down even a small hill in 1st gear... it needs a rebuild, it needs suspension, it needs a lot of stuff...... but the damn thing still starts every damn time, and it still runs all day long...... his brother just bought his neighbors 300ex for $1,200 and the thing needs only tires, grips, a seat coverm and a battery ..... now if someone can get a better Chinese ATV for $1,200, that is going to outlast that used Honda 300ex.... I'd like to see it... I will bet all my quads that his 12 year old brother rides that 300ex until he's 16, and I bet it still runs great when he's done with it.......

There is a Suzuki Ozark 250 for sale down the street from me, the guy wants $2000 and the thing is barely used by his daughter who just went to college. It would be perfect for someone who just wants to ride and get the wind in their hair, and it beats the hell out of any new $2500 Chinese ATV.....

I bought my Rancher for $1,800 (the guy was asking 2k) it needed tires, grips, has a crack in the plastic, and the front brakes were gone ..... I use the thing like a mule. It mows when it's 100-degrees, it plows when it's -20 degrees, it pulls, tows, hauls and anything I ask of it..... If I didn't have a z400 for fun it would never get to rest .... by now I would have destroyed any Chinese ATV at twice the price..........

I understand wanting people to just get out and ride and have fun. But I don't understand why it is better to wrench on a new Chinese ATV, than it is to wrench on a used brand name machine...... it seems that anyone who can wrench would be better off buying a used Honda or Yamaha that they can get going with a single trip to the dealer, then they would make 10 trips to try and force some part that is not quite right into operation...........

And the fact that the parts for Japanese and American machines is immaterial. As has been stated by several people the quality control of those parts is still done by the Honda or Suzuki or Polaris engineers. It is not as if Polaris is shipping the machine to China and then letting them ship it to the customer after a few electrical parts are installed....

Old 01-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree completely. its not worth the broken heart, of dad or son(s)

Old 01-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I am going to hurt some feelings here, but one thing I would like to point out is that buying an import is is detrimental to our economy. Yeah I know you can make all sorts of arguments, mostly the falsity that "The US makes junk" yet I don't have issues with any of the vehicles or toys that I have, but then I always make sure they are maintained as recommended by the manufacturer and even more. I don't baby them either - my AC has been jumped more times than I can count, abused by everyone from my teenage nephews to my 70 year old father, pulled all kinds if stuff including mowers, wood trailers, deer stands, etc, etc, and no issues at all other than a very minor shifter adjustment that I took care of myself when new.

Quick Reply: Alot of People Are Confused About Jap. & China Made ATV's