ATV Storage Box

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you store all of your gear when you ride? I am looking for a cheap way to store my gear. I want to cary a hatchet, tow straps, tools, etc. I have been looking into getting some old Army Surplus Storage Containers but have yet to find one that I like or will fit. So lets hear your setups.

Old 01-16-2001, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

NINman

I recently purchased a truck type tool box for my atv from Lowes. I cannot remember the exact dimensions, but it is approximately 36 inches wide, by 15 inches high, by 17 inches deep. It is a little larger than i like, but I can get a ton of stuff in it. It is made by Delta and has a lock on the top. The lid has a seal and should keep the mud and water out pretty good. I paid around $34 for it. I also seen them at Quality farm in fleet. Look in with the rest of the truck tool boxes. I haven't got any pictures of it yet. I need to do some modifications to my set up and then I will post some pictures.

Old 01-16-2001, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Several riding partners use military surplus metal rocket boxes, U-bolted to the racks.

If you go this route, 1) Pad the interior, and 2) Have SOME way to hold down/separate the stuff inside--unless you do both, you're gonna have jumbled/broken junk inside (as in cameras, GPS receivers, cell phones, etc.).

Diogenes

Old 01-16-2001, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

NINman:
I use an old military mortar box up on my front rack of the 'Cat. You can see pics of it at the link below, probably the snow pics would be the best view. I carry all my recovery gear up there, which mainly consists of the following:
100' extra winch cable, ****** block, 30',20', and 6' nylon straps, ~50' rope, two strait 3/4"x3" clevis, one twisted of the same size, medium sized axe, first aid kit, few pairs of leather gloves, Ka-bar, 16'x1/2" heavy choker cable, and off the top of my head, I think that's about it.

Diogenes has a good point about the breakable stuff. I also carry a rear rack bag which measures 36" wide, and 15" deep, in a U-shape to fit the rear rack. I carry all kinds of extra clothes, gear, food, water, tp, breakable stuff, and other various survival type items in this bag. With this situation, I've gotten out of any sticky situation that may arise on the trail, or while working, and have provided extra warm clothes for others in a riding party who weren't well prepared in the first place.

Hope that gives a couple ideas, and best of luck with the set-up,

Mike

Old 01-18-2001, 12:34 PM
Range Rover

I use a government surplus Army Rocket Box

U.S Government Surplus 25" Rocket Box

25"L x 10.5"W x 6"H
shipping weight 18lbs
Item # 0552-F718

Got it at Northern Hydraulics, U-bolted and padded it as recommended. Even partitioned off the interior. Works great. Latest catalog lists it for about $17.

Armyman liked it so much he got one for each of his quads.

Old 01-18-2001, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

If you want to carry a lot of stuff and you want to go cheap, then go to Academy. Look in their luggage selection. They have these plastic foot locker type boxes that are a perfect size for the rear rack and they run $22.95

Old 01-18-2001, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

I use 2 3' plastic schedule 40 plastic PVC pipes with a plug on each end wire tied to the front rack. Even keeps my stogies dry.

Old 01-19-2001, 12:38 AM
Range Rover

go to the automotive dept. of Wal-Mart. They have a perfect sized black storage box for $16.97! It has metal latches to keep it closed, a place for a padlock, holes in the handles to put bungie cords, and wont rattle like those metal ammo boxes the other guys are using. There is enough room for chainsaws, clothes, beverages, etc. etc.

Old 01-19-2001, 10:31 PM
Trailblazer

We use an old 72 quart ice chest. Just strap it to one of the rear racks.

Old 01-19-2001, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

When I changed my air filter on my Banshee from the factory box to the Toomey 2:1 filter I got alot of extra room. So I modified an army ammo box appr 4"w X 6.5"h X 13"l. I'm coating it inside and out with spray on truckbed liner. It's waterproof and I should be able to carry everything I need in it. No-one will ever notice it's there either since it's under the seat.

Quick Reply: ATV Storage Box