Illinois ATV law

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have often wondered exactly what the law is regarding ATV use in my state. Now I know. Other than for municipal and police use there is no way to make an ATV street legal. Unless you see something I don't.
(625 ILCS 5/11-1426)
Sec. 11-1426. Operation of all-terrain vehicles and off-highway motorcycles on streets, roads and highways. (a) Except as provided under this Section, it shall be unlawful for any person to drive or operate any << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle upon any street, highway or roadway in this State. (b) Except as provided under subsection (c) of this Section, all-terrain vehicles and off-highway motorcycles may make a direct crossing provided: (1) The crossing is made at an angle of approximately 90 degrees to the direction of the street, road or highway and at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing; and (2) The << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle is brought to a complete stop before attempting a crossing; and (3) The operator of the << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle yields the right of way to all pedestrian and vehicular traffic which constitutes a hazard; and (4) That when crossing a divided highway, the crossing is made only at an intersection of the highway with another public street, road, or highway; and (5) That when accessing township roadways in counties which contain a tract of the Shawnee National Forest, the accessing complies with rules promulgated by the Department of Natural Resources to govern the accessing. (c) No person operating an << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle shall make a direct crossing upon or across any tollroad, interstate highway, or controlled access highway in this State. (d) The corporate authorities of a county, road district, township, city, village, or incorporated town may adopt ordinances or resolutions allowing all-terrain vehicles and off-highway motorcycles to be operated on roadways under their jurisdiction, designated by signs as may be prescribed by the Department, when it is necessary to cross a bridge or culvert or when it is impracticable to gain immediate access to an area adjacent to a highway where an << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle is to be operated. The crossing shall be made in the same direction as traffic. (e) The corporate authorities of a county, road district, township, city, village, or incorporated town may adopt ordinances or resolutions designating one or more specific public highways or streets under their jurisdiction as egress and ingress routes for the use of all-terrain vehicles and off-highway motorcycles. Operation of all-terrain vehicles and off-highway motorcycles on the routes shall be in the same direction as traffic. Corporate authorities acting under the authority of this subsection (e) shall erect and maintain signs, as may be prescribed by the Department, giving proper notice of the designation. (Source: P.A. 89-445, eff. 2-7-96; 90-287, eff. 1-1-98.) (625 ILCS 5/11-1427) Sec. 11-1427. Illegal operation of an << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle. It is unlawful for any person to drive or operate any << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle in the following ways: (a) Careless Operation. No person shall operate any << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle in a careless or heedless manner so as to be grossly indifferent to the person or property of other persons, or at a rate of speed greater than will permit him in the exercise of reasonable care to bring the << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle to a stop within the assured clear distance ahead. (b) Reckless Operation. No person shall operate any << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle in such a manner as to endanger the life, limb or property of any person. (c) Within any nature preserve as defined in Section 3.11 of the Illinois Natural Areas Preservation Act. (d) On the tracks or right of way of an operating railroad. (e) In any tree nursery or planting in a manner which damages or destroys growing stock, or creates a substantial risk thereto. (f) On private property, without the written or verbal consent of the owner or lessee thereof. Any person operating an << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle upon lands of another shall stop and identify himself upon the request of the landowner or his duly authorized representative, and, if requested to do so by the landowner shall promptly remove the << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle from the premises. (g) Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, an owner, lessee, or occupant of premises owes no duty of care to keep the premises safe for entry or use by others for use by an << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle, or to give warning of any condition, use, structure or activity on such premises. This subsection does not apply where permission to drive or operate an << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle is given for a valuable consideration other than to this State, any political subdivision or municipality of this State, or any landowner who is paid with funds from the Off-Highway Vehicle Trails Fund. In the case of land leased to the State or a subdivision of the State, any consideration received is not valuable consideration within the meaning of this Section. Nothing in this subsection limits in any way liability which otherwise exists for willful or malicious failure to guard or warn against a dangerous condition, use, structure, or activity. (h) On publicly owned lands unless such lands are designated for use by all-terrain vehicles or off-highway motorcycles. For publicly owned lands to be designated for use by all-terrain vehicles or off-highway motorcycles a public hearing shall be conducted by the governmental entity that has jurisdiction over the proposed land prior to the designation. Nothing in this subsection limits in any way liability which otherwise exists for willful or malicious failure to guard or warn against a dangerous condition, use, structure, or activity. (h-1) At a rate of speed too fast for conditions, and the fact that the speed of the << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle does not exceed the applicable maximum speed limit allowed does not relieve the driver from the duty to decrease speed as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle, or object within legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care. (h-2) On the frozen surface of public waters of this State within 100 feet of a person, including a skater, not in or upon an << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle; within 100 feet of a person engaged in fishing, except at the minimum speed required to maintain forward movement of the << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle; on an area which has been cleared of snow for skating purposes unless the area is necessary for access to the frozen waters of this State. (h-3) Within 100 feet of a dwelling between midnight and 6 a.m. at a speed greater than the minimum required to maintain forward movement of the << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle. This subdivision (h-5) does not apply on private property where verbal or written consent of the owner or lessee has been granted to drive or operate an << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle upon the private property or frozen waters of this State. (i) Other Prohibitions. (1) No person, except persons permitted by law, shall operate or ride any << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle with any firearm in his or her possession unless he or she is in compliance with Section 2.33 of the Wildlife Code. (2) No person shall operate any << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle emitting pollutants in violation of standards established pursuant to the Environmental Protection Act. (3) No person shall deposit from an << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle on the snow, ice or ground surface, trash, glass, garbage, insoluble material, or other offensive matter. (Source: P.A. 90-14, eff. 9-1-97; 90-287, eff. 1-1-98.) (625 ILCS 5/11-1427.1) Sec. 11-1427.1. Operation of an << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle on ice. All-terrain vehicles and off-highway motorcycles may be operated on the frozen waters of this State subject to the provisions of this Section and the rules of the Department of Natural Resources. (Source: P.A. 90-287, eff. 1-1-98.) (625 ILCS 5/11-1427.2) Sec. 11-1427.2. Special << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle event. Nothing contained in Section 11-1426, 11-1427, or 11-1427.1 shall be construed to prohibit any local authority of this State from designating a special << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle event. In such case the provisions of Sections 11-1426, 11-1427, and 11-1427.1 shall not apply to areas or highways under the jurisdiction of that local authority. (Source: P.A. 90-287, eff. 1-1-98.) (625 ILCS 5/11-1427.3) Sec. 11-1427.3. Rules for all-terrain vehicles and off-highway motorcycles. The Department of Natural Resources shall adopt rules to implement and administer the provisions of Sections 11-1426, 11-1427, 11-1427.1, and 11-1427.2. (Source: P.A. 90-287, eff. 1-1-98.) (625 ILCS 5/11-1427.4) Sec. 11-1427.4. Signal from officer to stop. An << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle operator, after having received a visual or audible signal from a law enforcement officer to come to a stop, may not: (1) operate an << all-terrain vehicle>> or off-highway motorcycle in willful or wanton disregard of the signal to stop; (2) interfere with or endanger the law enforcement officer or another person or vehicle; or (3) increase speed or attempt to flee or elude the officer.
625 ILCS 5/ Illinois Vehicle Code Illinois Compiled StatutesVehiclesIllinois Vehicle Code625 ILCS 5/ [ HOME ] [ CHAPTERS ] [ PUBLIC ACTS ] [ SEARCH ] [ BOTTOM ](625 ILCS 5/)CHAPTER 1. TITLE AND DEFINITIONS
Sec. 1-101.8. << All-terrain vehicle>> . Any motorized off-highway device 50 inches or less in width, having a manufacturer's dry weight of 600 pounds or less, traveling on 3 or more low-pressure tires, designed with a seat or saddle for operator use, and handlebars or steering wheel for steering control. (Source: P.A. 90-89, eff. 1-1-98.)

Old 01-17-2001, 10:07 AM
Range Rover

It kinda sounded like we could ride on frozen rivers in the one part but thats about the only public land.

Old 01-18-2001, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

There is nothing in that mess that talks about farm use. In our area almost every farmer has one and use the township and county roads all the time with no harasment from the law. The main thing is how and where you are riding. An ATV with a tow bar is great tool for moving machinery between farms and having the atv handy to run back home saves a lot of time. From what I have expirenced, if you act like you are using your machine to do a job and not just out joy riding there has never been a problem. I am sure up state things are different.

Dan

Old 01-18-2001, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Dan, Thanks for the advice. You are right that I could use the quad as "farm" equipment. I also searched the vehicle code for farm use and I could use even my banshee to drive on the roads without lights, license plates etc. as long as I am going to or from a field or a supplier. I figured I could strap a small bag of weed-n-feed to the grab bar and say I was on my way to [or from] the supply store, but that wouldn't be honest. What I'm really looking for is to be able to ride on the street like any other dual purpose "bike".