What states have truely street legal quads? WI,MO,IN,KY,OR,OH how about you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wanted to make my Banshee street legal but I have found out that's impossible in Illinois. I want to know which states truely allow unlimited legal use of ATV's on the road. Please name your state and what hoops you had to jump thru to make it legal.

Old 01-17-2001, 11:36 AM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your banshee can be road legal. You have to make it into a ATC instead of a ATV. Dont ask my why, but if its a cycle it can then be make road legal. Truely not worth the effort. They do sell kits...saw it in dirt wheels.

Old 01-18-2001, 03:14 AM
Trailblazer

I am from Wyoming and ride my quads all over town
all i had to do was get a HP to check the serial # and verify that i owned the machine and have a motorcycle endorsement on my lic. then i went and picked up my licsense plates and i was off the same held true for my dune buggy that is run off a motorcycle drivetrain. for the buggy i had to install lights and signals but no biggie.
O.K.
Now to ask you a question do you live in a large city or near a large city cuz my brother in law lives in Ill. and he rides his quads everywhere but he also lives in a small town.Because, there are ways around the laws in Il. what you need to do is get your quad classified as a home built machine. this means it is no longer classed with all terrain cycles or any of the other names they come up with for or quads, then you need to get this verified by the highway patrol this will give you a title for a custom built machine there is no reason for the title dept to know that it is a quad the I.D check just verifies the serial # for titling purposes then you apply for lic. plates be sure to have insurance and a motorcycle endorsement on your lic.One other thing it is always nice to install signals they can be from a dual purpose bike and don't hinder the quad in anyway.
If this sounds like somethin you might want to do good luck and be prepared to be pulled over in your hometown atleast 8 or9 times before the cops realize your ok.I was pulled over 10 times in the same day but the cops couldn't do anything cuz i was legal they have a hard time accepting when they are wrong and do not understand the whole law of street legal and orv only use. and i have never heard of turning a quad into a 3 wheeler that doesn't change it's class only it's demeanor
the only true way is on paper the laws are on paper thats where it counts notout on the streets as hard as that may be to believe it is 100% true.
good luck

Old 01-18-2001, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the tips but I just did an extensive search of the Illinois traffic code and it is twice as hard to get a "custom made" vehicle registered. There are also a million safety steps that must be followed and adhered to. Unfortunately I do live near enough to larger towns with police that would have no problem pulling me over. What I want to know is if they are actually considered "street legal" in any state. Maybe I can get it registered there.

Old 01-19-2001, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Arizona laws allow ATV's to be street legal. I have mine street legal as well as friend of mine. Arizona's requirementss are the following:

1. Insurance
2. Working head light and brake light
3. License plate light
4. Side view mirror
5. Electric horn

Old 01-19-2001, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

GH... is your quad insured as a motorcycle or an ATV? How did you find out how to get it legalized? You can ride it down the middle of the road in town and not get stopped? How big are the towns you ride thru? Is your quad 2 stroke or 4?
Thanks for the info.

Old 01-19-2001, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is insured as an ATV but have a motorcyle plate for it.

My friend did the pain staking work when he did his. He had alot of trouble with the people that work at the MVD offices. Depending on who he talked to he got a different answer. One MVD office actually made up their own road test for ATV's and even admitted an ATV could not pass it. He went on the net and found the Arizona statutes for how vehicles are classified. He then took his findings to the MVD office and made his case.

You have defineately done the correct thing by getting a copy of the statutes and analyzing what they are.

I live in North Phoenix, I usually avoid the main streets but if I have to, I have gone on them.
The main reason I got mine street legal is for riding in the National Forests. If a road is a maintained road in a National Forest whether it is a dirt, gravel or pavement, the rangers will ticket you if you are not on a street legal vehicle. Inorder to get from trail head to trail head, you may have to ride on a maintained road to do so.

My quad is a 2 stroke.

GH

Old 01-19-2001, 06:43 PM
Range Rover

you can do it in PA also but i do not know if it is worth the hassle. i know 1 guy that has done it.

Old 01-19-2001, 07:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey Dan000,
From Wyoming eh? Im from Cheyenne. Ever been to the dunes near Rock Springs? they rock. Anyhow, My buddy has his Banshee and Warrior licensed for the street, and I plan on getting mine for ths summer this year.

Roostking...

Old 01-19-2001, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

Here in Vermont we can ride quads on the road with the proper registration...about $800 bucks will do ya.

I want to get my scrambler road legal but money is tighter than a boars butt right now.LOL.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Quick Reply: What states have truely street legal quads? WI,MO,IN,KY,OR,OH how about you?